Mac's 94 DB8 project thread AKA: Project Aeris.. ITR stuff, body work.. ect

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, plans have changed slightly...

For the good, I'll have a complete set of wheels on my car by this evening (all rota slips) and evrything is set to get my GSR blades this saturday.

The not so good is my "Frog Eye" gauge cluster. It fits... but... blahhh. It's not OEM, so it's not anywhere as good of quality (which I already knew that).
But I"m tryin to make my car be clean, inside and out, so.. as I was driving home last night looking at my cluster.. I was thinking that I could probably make something that looked that good myself...which, I've decided to do.

With Dremel in hand I cut apart my new gauge cluster and started working on molding the actual piece the gauge fit in, into the stock gauge cluster bezel.

I'll work on it gradually and take my time, since it's something I'll be looking at everey single time I get into my car.

I'll post some pics tonight so you can see what I've done..And I'll post a DIY when it's complete and painted.

Sorry for no pics on the cluster... I didn't have a chance to work on it any this weekend.. WAYYYYYYYYY too busy. Geez. I bet I drove nearly 800 miles Since Friday :p

I did, however, finally manage to get my GSR blades! Car looks a million times better IMO. Unfortunately, one of the wheel has some curbing and the finish on all of them is coming off, SO..A DIY on polishing is on it's way. Should look really good when I'm done.

Also, after cracking my lip in 2 more places :p I raised the front, yesterday, 3/4 to 1", so it's sitting pretty flush right now.. The front MAY be 1/4 lower than the back, still looks killer though.

I'll update w/pics at lunchtime today when I can go take some more ;)

Pics as promised!

MVC-008S-1.jpg

MVC-016S.jpg

MVC-021S-1.jpg

MVC-023S.jpg

MVC-026S.jpg

And here's a quick comparo from the slips to the blades:
Before (wrong setting on the camera):
MVC-001S.jpg

After:
MVC-010S.jpg

You can see where I am in shaving the holes in the bumper in a couple of the pics.

I think my car looks 100% better and I'm VERY pleased.

hey man the build is looking really good :thumbsup:

the chrome GSR wheels look really good on there. although i think losing more fender gap is needed but hey its your car. just remember tho when you go over a speed bump, go slow and at an angle. less chance of messing the front end up.

also cant wait to see it one color. you gonna put an ITR spoiler on it as well? just wondering since you are going with an ITR look to your car.

someone mentioned you have a Ranger? lets see pics of it. well maybe no one else does but i sure do since i own a bagged Ranger :)

keep up the good work man!

His dad just painted the ranger, so he should get some pics of it up soon(probably this weekend I'd imagine.)

Well, I would be done w/my cutom gauge pod but the freakin stuff I bought isnt drying! WTH?

I left it out in the sun yesterday and NOTHING..

I think I messed up and did'nt mix it right or something. I"m gonna buy some more today and re-do what I've already done. Hopefully by Friday I'll have it completed and I'll get my gauges in by the end of the weekend ;)

BTW, I had to replace the tires on the front of my car (camber wear) w/50 series.. I completely negated my raising the front up by putting 50's on it :( Back to being uber low again. Literally, the front lip is 3.5 inches off the ground.

A few pics.
MVC-032S.jpg

MVC-030S.jpg

Now my car looks like it's rear-wheel drive :p
MVC-033S.jpg

Last edited:
It was pre-mixed in a tube (can't remember the name of the stuff).

I think what I did wrong is when I broke some off, I didn't mix it together (light gray stuff and dark gray stuff) :p

I think thats where I went wrong.

Well, thats the hardener, which it seems you added none..

lol.... dummy

<sighs> Well, I removed the putty crap on my cluster and bought some JB weld. Figured out that I didnt mix it together like I shoudl have (ALWAYS READ THE DIRECTIONS!!! :p)

Anyway, so I put some JB weld on it and went to work.. Decided thazt it wasn't coming out the way I wanted too (flaking off and stuff, no good)

SO, I borrowed some fiberglass stuff from my dad. Now, I have messed w/fiberglass ONE other time in my life... and it didnt turn out good :p BUT, I'm older and wiser now and.. well.. <sighs> we'll see.

As of right now, I've fiberglassed the bottom half of the pods in and I'm gonna let ti dry all night before I work on the top half tomorrow. I'm gonna do evrything that I can to get my cluster/gauges in this weekend.

I'll update w/pic as soon as I'm done w/my mess :p

Haha......

About the JB weld.... is it sandable? I didn't think it was.
Get some pics up of the glass!

Yes, I"m older and wiser.. IE: I have more of an idea of what the hell I'm doing :p

ANd yes, the JB weld in sandable.. but it wasnt coming out how I wanted, thus why I scratched it and started over.

But I got alot accomplished on my lil gauge cluster today :) I think it's gonna turn out pretty good, though I don't think I'm gonna be installing it this weekend or anything ( I really wanted to :()... unless I can make some BIG strides on it tomrrow, but I think time is gonna be against me.. We'll see. I'll post pics at the end of the day to at least show my progress and get opinions.

I think you guys are gonna like it (hope so anyway :S)

I will however be done with shaving the license plate holes no matter what tomorrow. I'll have the DIY and whatnot w/pics as well when I update in the evening.

Last edited:
Alrighty then!

I am one, whipped white boy. My arms hurt.. My back hurts.. I've been hard at it today and actually got alot accomplished!

First of all.. My bumper.
Here is the step by step of what I did to shave the license plate holes.

Tools needed:

Safety goggles
Dremel w/grinding wheel
Rubbber gloves
Fiberglass kit
Bondoe
Bondoe smoother thing
Sanding bar thingy
220 grit dry/wet sandpaper
A good warm day, some time and music.

This is what we start out with.
IMG_7760.jpg

Step 1: Tape off area around the holes
You really could probably skip this step, honestly.. But I did it anyway:p
IMG_7761.jpg

Step 2: Grind off the raised part of the bumper
Be sure to have yoru goggles on, cause stuff flys around pretty good. Try to make it as smooth as you can.
On the driver side part, there was a little bracket behhind the holes that seemed to be built into the bumper. I just kept grinding untill I could remove it.
IMG_7763.jpg

Step 3: Time for the fiberglass
If you've never messed w/fiberglass, I would strongly suggest practicing w/it and familiarize yourself w/mixing it and layering it and whatnot.
I cut out about a 2x2 square from the sheet of fiberglass. I then mized up the gelatin and added hardener. Next, I placed the square I cut over the holes and dipped my finger in the mixed gelatin and rubber it over the little square of fiberglass. I did this untill it was completely soaked. I tried not to get too much so it would'nt run, since it'll just be more that you have to sand in the future.
IMG_7812.jpg

Step 4: Sand the fiberglass.
I used the 200 grit wet sandpaper along w/a lil rubber sanding bar thingy. I highly suggest using this, since if you sand it by hand only, you can leave grooves since yoru hand/fingers aren't flat. Using the bar, your sure to get a nice, even sand. I sanded it untill it was good and flush, holding the water hose so it was washing away all the residue. Periodically check the smoothness w/your finger.
WARNING!! DO NOT HAVE TAPE ON THE BUMPER WHEN YOU LAY THE FIBERGLASS!!!!
Unless you want this to happen...
IMG_7821.jpg

i'm a n00b. I was trying to not get fiberglass resin all over the place.. but look what it got me. Hey, you live and learn.. I never said I was a pro :p
I ended up with this after I re-fiberlgassed the hole..
IMG_7824.jpg

Step 5: Break out the Bondoe
Mixing the Bondoe isnt hard, just read the directions and be sure once you've added the hardener, to mix it up realll good, untill it's all a kinda reddish/pink color.
Using yoru handy dandy bondoe smoother/applicator thingy, apply bondoe over a good size area, making sure it's nice and flat (or at least as flat as you can get it).
Make it look like so.
IMG_7827.jpg

Notice I've got it over an area much bigger than my holes.. That way, I'm sure to get bondoe evreywhere I need it to be. The excess you can just sand off.

Step 5: Sand her down!
Once you've let the bondoe get good and dry, break out the sander again and start sanding away. Be sure to sand over a good area, not spending too much time on one small spot, since you want it all to be level. Once your satisfied wthats it's good and smooth.. run yoru finger over the whole thing. Any bumpers or indention that you can feel...Thats bad. It'll show up when you paint. Either continue sanding or add more Bondoe and sand it down again. You want it as close to perfectly smooth as you possibly can.
IMG_7887.jpg

And there ya have it folks.. Shaved bumper holes. I'm not finished with it yet.. I'll be painting the car soon (hopefully, and yes, I'LL be painting it.. my dad informs me of this today :p)
And speaking of painting, I know this has nothing to do with Imports, but this is the color my car is going to be. My dad has an extra gallon of this exact white that will be used on my car.
And, FYI, this is a 1987 Ford Ranger w/a hevily built 351 Windsor w/175 shot of the giggly stuff. With 150 hp jets w/worn out slicks, it went 10.6 @126 mph (yes, I have timeslips. PM if you want any more info on itm I doubt you will). You can thank my dad for being an incredible mechanic and turning this DAILY DRIVER (yes, it has a tag, all lights ;) gets 14 mpg too) into a monster. A wonderful father/son project :)
IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7851-1.jpg

Save this pic and zoom in on the rear tire.. You can see the wrinkle walls doing their job :)
IMG_7868.jpg

Comments are always welcome on the DYI. If you have any other info or tips on how to make it beter, please, don't flame, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to revise it.

Up next.... Polishing wheels: The beginning.... (Que dramatic music)

Here's the work I did on the blades yesterday. This is a work in progress thing here.. I may be able to finish these wheels or I may get something different.. all depends. But, since I still have em, I'll do what I can.

I started out with this wheel, since it was teh worst and pretty much the only one w/curbing (not done by me)
IMG_7817-1.jpg

IMG_7818-1.jpg

I broke out the sandpaper and went to town on it.. AFter a good 15-20 mins, I ended up with this (the curbing was pretty deep :S)
IMG_7819-1.jpg

IMG_7820-1.jpg

I then proceeded to continue sanding down the rest of the wheel, intermittingly stopping to work on my front bumper and gauge cluster.
After another 10 mins or so on the ONE wheel, I stood back and admired my hard work and said..
"Man, this really sucks."

I packed up, went to my parents and broke out the air sander. After about 15-20 mins, I had this:
IMG_7831-1.jpg

Air tools FTW!!!!!!
IMG_7879-1.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

So, all the wheels are a good 90-95% done. I was having trouble around the edge of the lip w/the air sander, so I just left it alone and resolved to doing it later w/the correct sanding tools.
I believe the grit was 180 on the sandpaper, BTW.

So, after a few hours work, I was finished getting the factory finish off the wheels and any lil knicks and whatnot they accumulated over the years. Look for these baby's to be shining like chrome in the future!

And, since I had my wifes camera, I decided to snag some pics in a couple of cool places in town. It's a shame I'm a sucky photographer and my car looks like crap, or else they might actually be nice. When it's all painted and looking sweet, I'll have my wife snap some pics (she's a photographer :p)

Enjoy.
BTW, I apologize for the pics being ever so slightly blurry :S
IMG_7892.jpg

The driver of the semi was in it watching TV w/his dowg when I pulled up. He looked out the window and I told em I was taking pics..He looked at me like I was a retard and went back to watching TV :p Freakin n00b.
IMG_7898.jpg

IMG_7901-1.jpg

Representin the walmart crew y0! :p I didn't think I was going to get over the crest of the hill.
IMG_7904.jpg

IMG_7905.jpg

IMG_7907.jpg

Again, I apologize for the blurry pics.

Next up................. My gauge cluster :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ( Uber dramatic music plays...)

The links don't work.

And man, give me a call, dad took me for a ride in The Ranger.. I don't usually say something like this, but OM*G, freaking visceral mang. I was blown away and I know what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back