Made a little acquisition

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wtf....150k for a 1600 square foot house on 2 acres.....your probably looking at 300-400k for a house like that in CT with 2 acres of land

Easily 500ish in wa.

damn... you got that for $150k .. no only do my dogs hate you, but i do too now.. j/k.. that'd be a million dollar piece of land in CA

Yep...there is a 3 bed 2 bath ranch two houses down from my wife's parents...one car garage, on like 1/10th acre...just came down to $600k from $650k...Put it on two acres in Los Olivos and you have yourself a million dollar home.

Here's the listing: 1313 La Paz Dr, Ojai, CA 93023 | MLS# 10001795

I'm never going to be able to buy a house here...

i was dead intent on going after foreclosures, but all the banks make you jump through hoops
like they want 100% cash, or you need to close in 30 days, with per diem fees for every day thereafter

i tried to buy 4 separate houses, that the banks would not remove the 30 day closing time frames on... they all sat on the market for at least a year after I tried to buy them.
doesn't really give you much time for home inspection and obtaining a mortgage and everything, unless you are an investor with the loot to shell out immediately

so i went for the next best thing, estate sales
parents are 70-80, kids are all grown with their own homes and families, parents kick the bucket
the house is a little run down because maintenance was slacking
the kids just want to dump it off so they don't have to pay taxes/fuel oil/utilities

i got them down another 15%, ended up paying about 68% of their original list price
and i could have waited them out and got more off, but i was looking to get that 8k gubment money

Damn thats a nice chunk of land! Congrats! thats a good price....I wish to own something like that someday!

i was dead intent on going after foreclosures, but all the banks make you jump through hoops
like they want 100% cash, or you need to close in 30 days, with per diem fees for every day thereafter

I actually had to dump my original mortgage broker because of this. Also, my house is rural, so it qualifies for sweet funding. 0 down, 4.75% fixed, and the bank that owned the place paid all closing costs. I actually had a couple hundred in principal reduced at closing, and brought no money to the table.

Basically my down payment is all the time and money I'm sinking into the place right off the bat.

I actually had to dump my original mortgage broker because of this. Also, my house is rural, so it qualifies for sweet funding. 0 down, 4.75% fixed, and the bank that owned the place paid all closing costs. I actually had a couple hundred in principal reduced at closing, and brought no money to the table.

Basically my down payment is all the time and money I'm sinking into the place right off the bat.

Mmmm...zero down...that's good for the old amortization schedule lol

all you east and west coast bitches that live near a beach quit bitching about prices of houses. lol

Yes because it smells like cow shit and used tampons every night :D (speaking from experience...with Bakersfield not used tampons lol)

the outskirts of Bako smell like shit because of the farms and dairies in the area.. lol.. in town its fine..

Getting tile laid in the bathrooms and kitchen this weekend. I did all of the demo. work myself, taking the toilets & old floors out. I found a nice surprise. The floor boards in a 1' radius around the toilets are rotted out. Must have had a long term leak at some point. What sucks is I'll have to rip up some of the plumbing to get the board out and replaced. :bangdesk:

the outskirts of Bako smell like shit because of the farms and dairies in the area.. lol.. in town its fine..

Ya I know I drove through when they were spraying it from overhead...spraying shit and used tampons out of planes

Whoever lived in the house before me beat the shit out of the place. I used 5 pounds of spackle to fix holes and dents in the walls. Every wall needed paint. Every carpet in the place was also subject to copious amounts of cat piss. I ripped all the old carpet and pad out and burned it in the back yard. 1300 sqft of carpet + pad = large, dirty fire. The cat piss soaked to the floor boards, so I painted all the floors with odor blocking paint.

Before pics of family room and kitchen

DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1468.jpg

that sucks, remember, you have to put down the concret backerboard before you put the tile down.

if you already knew that, i'll shut the fuck up. just a friendly tip.

And if there's new carpet soon....I suggest a double up on the padding under the carpet.....you wont be disappointed. And if you are installing hardy-backer board....get a bunch of extra screw heads b/c those boards need like 48 screws per sheet (I did 32 lol) and you will most likely go through a bunch of phillip's heads with those self tapping screws. A friend and I did his whole house (except the bedrooms and master bath). The backer boards were the most time consuming and least rewarding.

And if there's new carpet soon....I suggest a double up on the padding under the carpet.....you wont be disappointed. And if you are installing hardy-backer board....get a bunch of extra screw heads b/c those boards need like 48 screws per sheet (I did 32 lol) and you will most likely go through a bunch of phillip's heads with those self tapping screws. A friend and I did his whole house (except the bedrooms and master bath). The backer boards were the most time consuming and least rewarding.

I bit the bullet and paid a contractor to do the work. With the delayed closing, I have no time to fix it up myself before my apartment expires. I used the hardy backer board, and had bought boxes of the screws. When I got back from work, the guys had used a nail gun.

That works. They prefer self tappers but I think it should be fine. Definitely time saving with a nail gun (psstit psstit psstit....done). Glad you still have funds to bit the bullet! Water Heater all good? Roof? Fix that flooring around the shitter? Looks like it will be a nice home for you. I'd love some property....my Condo is too small.....plus we're upside down in it (like most CA owners right now lol) People next door are renting the same space for $220 less a month.....eff. We were suppose to be getting out of this place by now but the market put it in our butt. I want a dog bad but can't do it in this condo. Our patio is the size of most bathrooms....not a pace for a dog all day while we're at work.

Glad the house is coming together

After what I went through with my house after buying it... nothing looks bad to me anymore.

Looks like we have the same cabinets. mine wouldn't even open unless you forced them open due to oil/grime build up. I shit you not it felt like grabbing a slightly less powerful fly trap....

Did they clean your toilets? Mine looked like they hadnt been touched for 6 months if not more.

35.jpg

They lived in the house up til about 1 week before closing. This was the master bathrooms toilet.
They even had people living in the garage with a temp wall up midway in the garage.

9.jpg

They look the same as yours, but you have updated flooring. My flooring was original from 1991

Paid $305K before putting money into it.
oh and my yard is.... ready for it?

0.07 acre

What's sad is the land is worth more then the house. The land alone is worth about $200K the house at closing was valued at just over 100k

Last edited:
Back