Magana559's High comp LS build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Builds suck when expectations get crushed. You've got me sold on using my B18A block for a LS/V some day. I wanted to go poormans Type R but your LS seems to like high revs even on a budget build. :thumbsup: keep it up I'm liking this shit here.

You sure about the CTR piston choice? I almost wonder if I should have just stuck some P30's in mine after reading all the BS on H-T and not making good numbers (not certain why i make low numbers though). They say the piston design makes a bad flame front?

I can see how a flat top piston would make more power better flame travel and better adimazation of the fuel.
But this is the gonna be the econo way of getting to 13:1 compression.

Plus I don't think a lot of the people on ht tune or have good tuners. I have the blessing of 15 plus dyno pulls with adjustments.

We will see how things go

Your B18 project went well. I have a B18b1 in the machine shop right now. I did a swap into a 97 Civic hatch and my original JDM B18b1 is getting tired. I need to bore the cylinders and was going to go with stock oversize pistons but saw your post about using itr pistons. The stock itr pistons are cheaper than the stock B18b1 pistons which is a plus if I can get more power at the same time. I'm keeping everything stock B18b1 including the head. My only concern of running CR of 11.1 to 1 with itr pistons is reliability. My car is a daily driver, 120 miles per day. I need it to remain reliable. Is your engine still running ok minus the ring issue?thanks.

they are not stock ITR pistons, they are a full MM oversized, you need to know what piston your going to use and have it in hand before you bore the cyl walls to get your Piston to wall clearance on the money.

Engine is running fine, has its ring issues but that was my fault. just remember to TUNE! TUNE it, if you dont you wont run right and wont last long.

they are not stock ITR pistons, they are a full MM oversized, you need to know what piston your going to use and have it in hand before you bore the cyl walls to get your Piston to wall clearance on the money.
Engine is running fine, has its ring issues but that was my fault. just remember to TUNE! TUNE it, if you dont you wont run right and wont last long.
I'm looking at OEM Honda 10 over itr pistons from www.acuraautomotiveparts.org I've been researching the tune requirement and I contacted Phearable.net - Electronic Fuel Injection Tuning Solutions - Hondata, Neptune, Crome, Uberdata, Ectune, AEM, Honda Tuning, Widebands, Fuel Pumps, Intercoolers, Turbos, LS/VTEC, ECU Chipping, Chipped Ecus, P28 They told me if all I was doing was going to a higher compression ratio....11.1 to 1, that I would be getting nothing from the tune. My OBDII ECU would handle that change.
I may just stick with OEM 10 over pistons. I'm researching but finding a lot of conflicting data.

you NEED a tune, get a jumper harness and a obd1 LS ecu to be socketed so you can tune.

Your stock ecu will not allow you to pull timing or advance timing as needed on a real time time frame, Only a dyno tune can do that.

DO NOT GET A CHIP AND CALL IT GOOD

I have heard good things about LS bottom ends with p30 pistons. Not to say it's forced induction worthy but a nice all motor econo choice.

any updates? how is the setup running? im going to attempt a similar build in the next few months...and hopefully have it ready to install and tune for the next season... and if this setup holds up... i can save up and build a turbo b18b and trans... so it will be a while, and i need it to last...

It still runs but I have some serious loss of compression and some oil consumption.

I used cheap NPR piston rings and I payed for it, not to mention the cam gears slipped on the dyno and leaned out, that's probably what killed the rings.

Overall I was super happy with the build. Planning on going bigger with more compression..... maybe 13:1

He was happy as a clam....then he got a little eager and thought he needed mo powa.....so giggle juice was added. Hmmmm.....crazy how things went wrong :ph34r:

Hope the back is feeling better, Magana :thumbsup:

How big a shot did you use? What engine management are you running? And im sorry if you already posted, i just dont remember reading about it..

Back