Magana559's High comp LS build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Is that crank 'balanced' for your setup or the prev owner?
It might not work like you expect..

If it was lightened for H-beams and forged pistons, it might be way off.
Hope not.
E

yeah this crank had crower h beams and je forged pistons. I thought the crank was ballanced on its own? Ill ahve to check into that.

The crank is usually balanced to the reciprocating "BOBS" or "Bobweights" I don't believe they're balanced to "O"/zero. That's why they have to add Mallory or grind off material.

The 'otherside' has to weigh the same as 'that side'.. Now your're talking about a circle, but we know that the combustion process happens only at one 'side', but the other side has to compensate per/detonation right?? (firing order)

I'd take it to a good shop and ask them. It shouldn't cost too much to grind but adding mallory is more expensive.

E

Im gonna check If its not too off, if it is then Ill just buy another used crank or take one from the junk yard.

This is a econo build, I started with only the head. whant to see total end cost.

Sorry man, I just wouldn't want you to be all excited, fire it up and have a BAD shake to it. ('been there too many times)

If you haven't pressed the pistons to the rods yet, maybe just have it all balanced to eachother.
4cyls shouldn't be that much $$ to balance. The 'bobs' are just 180 out. AGAIN check out your local machine shop.

E

thanks, I read that after 78civic posted. Im gonna take it to my machinest see if we can salvage it, or fix it under $100. if not then Ill just junk it and buy another stock crank.

I got this one for free.

yep its from superjail. just have some LSD and superjail marathon.....you will have a great time!

I really didn't mean that you should toss it..
Just talk it over with your shop and ask them. If they can't take the time to answer your q's and or motives and lead you in the right direction (without selling you the latest...) Then maybe keep looking.

I've been screwed a number of times and some that were just too long in the build that any warrantee was void (and you know that a kid isn't going to convince them that "sure, it's been a year or so but I just got it in and fired it up and BANG"....)

WHo knows, it could be close enough to just add a little.

Take care. E

Well Like I said, If its too much, Ill just junk it or give it away. I got it for free so if it will be more than what another used one will be them Ill just give it away.

I learned to build my own really quick lol Its not hard, just need to have the tools. Im having a buddy of mine help me with the build, he measured my crank, and has all the tools.

Update

OBD2 dizzy that came off of a JDM b20b so it has no more than 35k miles! ;) scored it for $65 shipped.

GEDC0165.jpg

GEDC0166.jpg

GEDC0167.jpg

GEDC0168.jpg

Nippon racing gasket kit, OEM quality for $87 shipped!

GEDC0170.jpg

ARP LS main studs Got em for $60 shipped, never stretched :eek:

GEDC0174.jpg

dizzy will be converted to obd1 or ill buy monotech jumper.

Block should be back by friday but im gonna go camping for the weekend so ill post pics when im back.

Ask them to blow out all the threaded holes for you and wipe the cyls with a light oil even before you wash it down..
BEFORE YOU LEAVE thier shop, ask if the cyl tops have been chamfered so you won't chip or break a ring going in..

I just broke a 2nd ring going back into my wife's accord...? Don't know how it snapped putting the ring compressor on. I had to re-use another one.. I know, I know.. Stop yellin. I'm just not going to buy another set of rings just for O N E ring. And it's the second one, not the compression ring.
Plus, the car will only be required to run til we get a CRV for her.

Will you have to de-pin/re-pin the dizzy to work with your setup?
Isn't it nice to work with stuff that's nice and clean?
It's gonna take a few weeks for my fingers to look somewhat clean after this job.

E

all threaded holes were thread chased and cleaned, block was jetwashed and media blasted, then painted to look like new.

Didnt check if the tops of the cyl's were chamfered. Never had a issue with breaking a ring, maybe you didnt set the ring compressor right or maybe even too lose??

Dizzy is going to ahve a obd2 to obd1 jumper harness, no soldering nightmares for me!

The sad part is Im having a buddy assembaling this for me because I cant build it here in my apt room and carry it down the stairs lol! Also I have no tools here, all back at my moms place.

Back