Main Bearins

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

just wondering. what would a machinist do to the crank other than polish and balance it?

If the crank was in bad shape or had any impurities on the surface it might have been cut down which might be the case if you have brown bearings in there. The crank should be fine unless you have to cut it down again.

so with the situation that i am in it would be wise to just stick with the bearings that i had originally in the block?

Not the same bearings but the same colors on new bearings, yes. Be sure to double check clearances after you get the new bearings.

yeha whooops thats what i meant.
so i guess i got the bearing portion figured out.
thanks a lot for your help!

now will pr3 pistons press right into my pr4 rods? or is there machining required? (ls/vtec)
what kind of rings should i be using?

No problem. :)

The PR3 pistons with press directly on your PR4 rods.
OEM rings are great. I would go with them.

would you suggest an overbore application?

i have the ls water pump and iming belt. will there be a problem with running that other than the vtec pump and belt? i was thinking of swtiching it to the vtec parts when the timing belt would need to be replaced.

also for the arp head studs how would you tq them down

Don't overbore unless you have to. If you have standard bore pistons and your cylinder walls are in decent shape there is no need to overbore. I had to because my 1st and 2nd cylinders had pretty big scratches on them.

The LS water pump and timing belt will work fine. Are they pretty new? If so then just use them, if not then I would go ahead and get the VTEC units instead.

As for the ARP bolts, use the same sequence as stock and use the torque specs that came with the studs. I can't remember them off the top of my head.

You put the studs in the block by hand (hand tight), then you torque the nuts onto the studs.

i was wondering, can i go a size up on the main bearings?

ie.

#1 Black
#2 Brown
#3 Black
#4 Brown
#5 Brown

Those bearings are pretty thick as is. The browns can go to blacks, but the blacks can't realy get any thicker. Maybe they can go to blues, but I am not sure. You might be better off just running a little loose or getting a new crank.

cani return the bearings if i cant use them?

does each colour difference make the bearings .1mm bigger?

running loose isnt too good.. especially if its going to see hig revs (up to 8 grand or so)

I don't know the size difference between each bearing, my Helms doesn't say. If anyone else knows please post. I am running loose on my mains. The clearances are about .0020" on my mains, and I have no problems with oil pressure. The other option you have is to buy a set of ACL bearings for a crank that has been cut 10 under.

well clearances should be between 0.024 to 0.042 mm. (helms) for a b18a block

its not oil pressure that im worried about, its that if it runs too loose and i rev it high, there will be too much play casuing damage

are ACL bearings cheaper than the honda bearings?

Back