Main relay clicking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeef

NO MA'AM
VIP
i just did a z6 swap into my 89 crx si. After the swap I noticed the main relaywas clicking occassionally when driving. I forgot to tighten the starter down all the way and the bolts loosened up and one fell out. The car did not start this morning becuas ethe starter wasnt in place. THe main relay really started to click and the check engine light came on when I had the key in the acc or the starter position. I hooked the starter back up, but my extension hit the lead on the starter and grounded out. I got the car started for 2 seconds and it died. Now the relay is clicking but the engine will crank over but not start.
I replaced this relay last summer. What would cause it to start clicking in the first place? I bet the extnesion grounnding out fucked something up. I am just wondering what else could cause the clicking since its an expensive part and I don't want to replace it more than once.

I had a similar problem with my civic and i think it was a bad wire on the engine harness. If you turn the ignition on does the relay click when the Engine light comes on and click when it goes off?

Its was originally clicking when the light was off. Now it clicks and the cel comes on. When your wire was shot, and you fixed it did the relay work? I dont want to spend 65 on a new relay if I don't have to.

its possible that the relay is bad. you can take it apart and see if its bad. take the black plastic cover off the relay, and look at the circuit board. if you can see any of the solder is cracked it will have a bad connection and you can re-solder it.

I was thinking about that but I cant solder for shit. I havent touched the car. After you fixed the bad wire in your harness was your main relay ok?

a tv repiar shop will resolder the board for like 5-10$,cheap.took me like 15 min to do mine and I'm not that good at it,I got a used one from a junkyard first and it was bad also but this is a common problem for my 89 accord and honda in general so it might be a better idea to just get it done.

Its not the relay itself.

The ecu light is on too.

Fuck I hate this car.

Can anyone help me? I want to drive standard again going through withdrawls

Jeff , I can solder very well, if that's what you need get a hold of me I can bring my soldering iron with me.

I replaced the relay and it still acts up. I think there is a short in the engine harness somewhere. I hate this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back