Main Relay Clicking?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

while i am driving, my engine hickups and at the same time my main relay is making a clicking noise. it does this randomly. there is nothing i can do to make it do this.

i already know that the main relay controls the power for the ecu, fuel pump, and injectors. so my quesion is, what would make the main relay do this?

-i have already got a manual and followed the procedures for checking the main relay and it works fine.
-i have already got another pr3 ecu that i know works fine and it still does the same thing.

?could a bad fuel pump cause this?
?could a bad ignition switch do this?

any help or a point in a direction would be greatly appreciated.

the main relay should only click once[ when you turn on the car] but if can hear the main relay click over the sound of your fuel pump priming then there is a problem with main relay, u should replace it before the car won't start at all

i take it your car is a crx, main relays are c ommon problem with car that are that old so don't worry its a simple fix, its not only crx 's its all honda's, when u get the new part take the old one apart and u will see brown residue all around the circut board

thx for the replies. i've searched google before and have already unsoldered and re-soldered all of the pins on the PCB and have tested it according to manufacturers specs. everything works fine and there is continuity through all circuits where it should be. plus i got another one out of a junk yard and it still does the same thing.

is it possible for a bad fuel pump to cause this?

I just recently had an ignition coil burn out on me. gave me intermittent problems for months till it finally just shit the bed and shorted to ground.
took my battery with it as well.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Mar 11 2003, 02:35 PM
I just recently had an ignition coil burn out on me. gave me intermittent problems for months till it finally just shit the bed and shorted to ground.
took my battery with it as well.

what was the symptoms you were having before it completely went out on you?

check the main ground on the thermostat housing a friend of mine left his loose and it did the same thing sometimes it would click repeatedly. or gound from bat. ground to tranny

my crx did something similar to that, it turned out to be the chasis ground had rotted out, check that.

thanks for all of the help on this subject fellas. it's supposed to be nice this weekend so i'll look into it. my main brain buster is... why the hell does the main relay click if it is just a ground?

could a faulty distributor igniter cause this.

my engine had that hiccupping problem. it was my igniter. i didnt hear any clicks, but i always had my radio on or there was noise from outside.

and FYI, the igniters in the 4th gen civics were recalled by honda. seems like nobody here knows this, cause we are all second or third hand owners of our hondas...except me :)

BTW, after awhile, my engine was dying AT SPEED on the freeway. it started as little hiccups, but after a few weeks, the car would often not start, even with a jump and the car was dying at least once on every trip. i wouldnt have let it go so long, but it took forever to figure out what it was.

realy flutter is most always caused by a bad ground.... check the wiring. like was said the thermostat housing is a good one.

well i put a new igniter in it today and it does the same fucking thing. DAMNIT. it is really starting to get on my nerves. i'm going to check ALL grounds tomorrow wether permitting. what are all of the major grounds i should check?

sorta confused but when you turn the key does it go click click click really fast! I would just check the negitive battery cable shake it around and then try and start the car? just another thing to check on your checklist o things ;)

Back