1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

main relay under dash

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by kbellamy, May 11, 2005.

1. kbellamy

kbellamy Junior Member

Hey, i have a 94 civic with a b18c in it. it wont start, and the main relay underneath the hood is making a clicking sound. does anyone know what this means? need help really fast too. also, it is only sending like 3 volts to the fuel pump

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

It might be going out or something. The main relay is a bitch to get to in my CRX; i had to replace it because it was causing my car to sometimes not start in hot weather(no power to fuel pump). My friend has this problem with his old 93 CX but instead of buying a new relay he just jumped it.

3. kbellamy

kbellamy Junior Member

so buying a new relay should fix it then right?

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

My EF did that. I replaced the main relay and it still made crazy weird noise. I ended up just grounding the relay to the chassis right next to the relay, and it worked.

5. TeamUrbanChaos

TeamUrbanChaos Certified H22 Super-tech

yea man the same thing happened to my 92 accord. after a certain period of time the main relays tend to eventually burn out. mine for example, on any given hot day, the main relay would not come on which in turn cause the car not to start. dont kno why it did that but i changed it out and my problem was solved. as far as the clicking is concerned, it should click when you turn the car on anyways. its when it dosent click that you should be worried about it not starting because if it dosent click that means its not registering a voltage which means the fuel pump will not initiate and your car wont start. my adive......go to honda and get a new one for sure!! dont get a used one..i made the mistake of doing that and the same thing happened...go get a new one!

6. ^crx^

^crx^ Senior Member

is it any good online store for OEM parts?

but if the engine turns would the starter relay be ok?

7. deth101

deth101 Senior Member

My 89 accord used to do it on hot days also,its probably just dry sockets,you might just try resoldering it.
    If you pull it and open it up you can see the cracks around the posts,just clean em off and drop a new joint on em,very easy.I did it the first time I had ever used a solder gun.

At $.50 in solder or $30ish for a new one so its worth a try or at least a look,its easy to tell if its the sockets and 3geez.com has a good write-up on it if you want a better explanation.

8. joe2dmax

joe2dmax Junior Member

thanks for a good info. ill check on to this one since my crx wont get fuel or spark. maybe this is the problem.

9. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

get a main relay from honda. it may be alittle spendy but its worth it

10. deth101

deth101 Senior Member

the ones I resolder last longer than the new ones in Iowa's climate.and really it only takes 15min,maybe 30min my first time but its easy and stronger.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted