Maintaining LCDs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Im a noob at LCDs. Just moved from a 12 yr old Packard Bell 15inch! :lol:

Anyway, my gf was using the computer to search something for her mom. And friggin bush, she touched the lcd monitor. As i saw the pretty rainbow, my heart died a little! So my question is, if someone does touch it, how damaging it? And how hard do you have to touch it to damage it?

Also, how do you clean an lcd screen? ive been told and read that use a microfiber cloth like lens cloth and damp it with water and wipe the monitor gently.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

now i must pay her back... maybe destroy some parts of her garden... jk.

as long as you don't beat on the screen it's fine. I've had several idiots touch the screen on my NEC and it still functions perfectly.

Yea, I used to sit there at work bored running my finger across the screen, still worked fine.

yeah, as long as you don't press too hard, its not a big deal.

there is special lcd cleaner.

whatever you do, do NOT use water or windex. it will destry it.

are you sure not water? pcmag, anandtech, and other sources say water is fine...

i used a little to wipe of the prints... i hope i didnt damage it.. shit.

there are countless lcd's in our storage room that now look like the "color test" channel on tv because stupid users cleaned them with a paper towel & water or windex.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 29 2005, 09:23 AM
there are countless lcd's in our storage room that now look like the "color test" channel on tv because stupid users cleaned them with a paper towel & water or windex.
[post=532826]Quoted post[/post]​

a DAMP rag "water" is fine, DO NOT use windex.

we have 4 LCD touch monitors at work and I clean them suckers with water everyday. I've NEVER had an issue.

B Im guesing whoever used "water" is just saying they used water. that or they used sand paper for a rag.

I use a product called iKlear, it is an LCD cleaner marketed for cleaning Apple laptops. Be sure to use a microfiber cloth to wipe things down as you will have streaks otherwise.

Back