Maintenance for a just bought car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I know a few things I should do on a just bought car (spark plugs, oil, air filter, belts, hoses) Are there any other maintenance procedures you would suggest for a 91 CRX HF that I just bought about a month ago? Its been running ok, but its only getting 32 MPG and Ive been told by many that it should be getting closer to 40. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas why my MPG would be lower than expected.

How many miles are on the car? Do you have the owners manual? In the owners manual it should have the maintanance schedule.
Elissa

Not related to fuel mileage, but don't forget to check your CV boots.

IMO, when you get a new car, you should do all the maintance. you don't know if the last owner actually did any maintance what so ever, so do it now.

Oil/filter change
Fuel filter
Tranny fluid change
Brake fluid flush
PS fluid flush (if applipacle)
Clutch fluid (not applibalbe in your case, since you have a cable clutch)
Thermostat and coolant change
Inspect belts
Inspect ball joints and CV boots
Check all tire pressure (including the spare)
If the shifter feels slopy, change out the bushings.

Ive only checked the air filter so far (bad me) Ive been rather busy making ( or trying to) make money. Thanks for the maintenance list smallso. I dont have the owners manual so it makes it a little more difficult.

Looking at my list, I didn't have a timing belt and water pump for cars with over 70,000 miles or so, unless you know exactly when it was changed.

Back