Major loss of power - Integra B18A1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gnat5680

ok, over the last week, I noticed that I have had a significant loss of power. I know my clutch is going, but it is not a slipping problem. It just will not "Get up and go" like it used to. I checked the air filter, it was fine, oil is good, the only thing I really could see wrong was the grounding strap was corroded. it was reading 4.7 ohms. I don't know how big of a problem that is. What else should I check? I mean, everything looks fine. but it does have 260,000 miles on it. I am tempted to replace the MAP sensor just because it is old, and any other sensors.

but before I shoot big bucks at it I want to see what else I can do. I will be heading out of town in the next month and driving 1200 miles. so I don't want anything to go wrong. when I get where I am going, there may even be some races to participate in.

but any ways, Any help you can give me will be appreciated!

well, the cat is a possibility. It feels alot like something is clogged and not letting air in and/or out.

I did a compression test a few months back and one cylinder was quite lower than the others, but back then, everything was at its peak of power.

I have not noticed any loss of coolant or oil, nothing smells odd, and there has been no smoke. Though it may not be bad to replace the head gasket any ways, best to do it before it does go bad.

Any other things to check?

:withstupid: on the clogged cat. it's a definite drag on performance and can sneak up on you.

i don't know crap about what a blown head gasket feels like, hasn't happened to me yet. :shrug2:

yea the cat is a big problem..u know i changed mine and my whole exhuast system was cloged after i went from 2" piping to 2.75 pipin it flowed much better

I dont think its a blown headgasket, simply because you would have some other symptoms that are easily noticed. 260,000 miles is a lot of mileage, and I am all for Honda engines lasting 300k+ miles easily, but when properly maintained and not beaten on like they are race cars when they are in completely stock form. If I were you, I would have these tests performed before you go out on that trip...

1) compression test
2) cylinder leakage test
3) starting/charging system diagnostics

Ontop of those tests, I would also do a RunRite, which is a fuel system cleanser, so to speak. It pretty much flushes out your fuel system and gets some of the buildup out. Some new plugs/wires/cap and rotor would also be a good idea depending on if you need them. Have a mechanic take a look at the car to see what it needs.

Specify to the shop who does this work, to change the fuel filter and inspect the catalytic converter for leaks/clogging. A clogged catalytic converter can cause a loss of power.

No there is no check engine light. sorry about that.
I do have an abs light, but that is a whole nother battle.

I just replaced the fuel filter and replaced the engine ground strap tonight, I took it out and it seemed a little bit better. a sugestion I got from the parts store was bad fuel. so after hitting the pump (With my eyes closed at the price) It seems alitte better now.

so, It may have been bad fuel, or one of the other things, But it is still not up to where it was. so it could be a combination.

Plugs are new like 2,000 or less ago. wires are fairly new same with the cap and rotor (5,000 ish)

I do think I have a bad ring in my 3rd or 4th cylinder, I can't remember which.

I will see how it goes tomorrow and consider bringing it in. (I hate to bring in my car when I am a mechanic myself, I am just not working in a shop at the moment)

Doubt the blown head gasket- issues would be more major. Try running some seafoam thru the brake booster or other intake line to see if it helps. Cat sounds like another possibility- temporarily detach the cat (if it's not on ur manifold) and see if it makes a huge difference. I've also seen this happen with bad sparkplug wires or defective injectors.

Back