Major Oil Leak... Asap Help Please!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18C_EJ8

Here's the scenario... Installed whole new Skunk2 valvetrain this weekend (cams, springs and valves), into my B18c, during which the head was pulled. We used a new Mugen head gasket and put everything back together, torquing down as per Helms...

After we fixed a timing issue (belt was off 1 tooth), we fired her up, and after the fuel system pressurized again, it ran like a champ! Sounded AWESOME...

But then, something happened, and HUGE amounts of oil began POURING out of the engine, seemingly from nowhere... Can't really see too well under the intake manifold... But anyways... The oil is definitely coming out with pressure, and not just leaking... In the 10 seconds or so we ran it, we lost about 2 quarts...

The guy with the most experience thinks it's probably the head gasket, that maybe it was bent or something during shipment or whatever... But I'm not sure.....

Anyone have any advice on what could have caused this, or anyone have any suggestions on where to check next???

I'm about ready to slit my wrists over this, so ANY help will be appreciated.... Thanks guys...

umm maybe the oil filter isnt sealed properly, i know that once when i changed my oil, the seal on the old filter had stuck to the engine and i didnt notice, so this caused my oil filter to not seal properly and when i fired it up, oil shot out every where. thats the onlything i can think of underneath the intake manifold. might be worth a shot to check it out.

it sounds like it could be a head gasket but also check the valve cover gasket... could be both... best bet is to take everything apart and redo it!!
:moon: :kick:
sounds like a day job for ya

if you got a brand new head gasket, it shouldn't leak that bad. If there was a problem, it may drip out, but not like shoot out with force. I'd look for a big problem, not just a slightly off head gasket

it's not the valve cover gasket, otherwise you'd be buring oil anyway via the vent on the valve cover....

My vote is head gasket. check it out, see that it set neatly over the oil channels to the head. it's obviously coming from a post-pump channel, which means it's between the head and the oil pump. Since you said it was coming out with force... My vote is head gasket.

It wasn't anything anyone has said, nor was it anything anyone would have ever thought of... He took off the head again this morning, and took the gasket in the house and washed it off in the sink... As he was doing it, he heard this "clink" and was surprised to see a chunk of brass that was wedged in between the 2 layers of the gasket... The piece was probably near the one of the oil passages, and didn't allow the head to seat properly, and once the pressure built up in the engine, blew the seal and squirted out... All fixed now, but there's more problems that I have no idea what to do about... =( I'm going to search for a while, and if I can't find anything, I'll put a new post up....

Thanks for the advice on the previous problem though... MUCH appreciated...

ok... so it was exactly what we all said. Headgasket. the problem with the head gasket was that there was that peice of brass in there... don't you guys wipe your shit down at least? :)

Back