Major problems with orange peel...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

So my buddy has this old crotch rocket and he ended up putting it on it's side and if he hadn't been wearing leather, he would pretty much be dead.

So he had me come over to look at the fibreglass peices and the plastic peices because they were scratched to shit and had holes and all that fun stuff. So I patched the peices with fiberglass, smoothed with some lightweight body filler, then took the clear coat off the rest wtih 220grit on my DA sander. So now the peice is pretty much ready for priming and paint. right? I use some dupicolor wax + grease remover to clean off all of the dust to create a nice clean surface. I used some rattle can primer (spot+filler) it was plasti-kote i believe. It was a pretty decent primer. Well almost all of the peice came out really nice except for a few spots where I got some orange peel.

So I think, Oh I must have missed some dirt or dust or something right...So I sand it down to smooth again, clean it, allow drying time (5mins?) then primed it again...

this happeend about 5 times. I can not get it to not orange peel.

What causes orange peel? And How can I fix this?

Should I be using some paint prep cleaner or is this wax + grease remover good ??

thanks

nathan

are you talking about orange peel in the primer or the paint? orange peel in paint is caused by laying to dry of a coat and not enough product for it to flow out properly. As far as the primer goes it doesnt mattter whether it is orange peel or not cause you gotta sand it out before you paint anyway

This is on the primer...

Yeah I know you have to sand it down before i paint, but it it really like orangepeeling... looks like wrinkles that stand up like 1/8"

It is like it isn't sticking to the surface but i dont know why it wouldn't. I sanded it and cleaned in...

put a very thin layer of body filler over the section that it isn't sticking too. Then sand it down, LEave a paper thin coat of the filler on there and it should stick with no problems

wax and grease remover is not good to clean with acetone or similar product is neede that leaves no residue. or use a product from sprayn seal called surface prep and scuff the area better

Hit it with 400 grit after the primer dries. This will prep the surface for the final paint. This will ensure proper adhesion. If there is orange peel on the top coat of paint or clear, hit it with 1500-2000 grit and buff the s#$t out of it.

well if it is ripples as big as you say they are its most likely an adhesion prob or you are just putting on way to much product and in turn causing it all to sag badly which would give you that riply affect......try sanding some of it off ifit just comes off when you sand it out than you know its an adhesion problem but if it seems to be feathering out like it should than you know it has adhered but you hve just put on to much product. also like the others said you need to use a surface prep solvent go to napa and get martin seniour tec/clean wipe it on wet then wipe it off with a dry papeer towel and you will be good to go but to be honest with you i dont tec clean anything before i prime i just blow it off. I only tec clean beofre paint

theres this shit called 'Lectra clean. It evaporates quick as hell and gets rid of any oil/grease/ethnic juice/etc...

Back