Major Wastegate Question!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey i have nocited a lot of the times people will actually vent the wastegate exhausts into the atmosphere rather than back into the exahust system, how does this produce more horse power?!?

dylan

"the more you ask the more you know"

As with any exhaust principle, less resistance equals more power. Venting the gas directly simply produces the best possible flow.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but that is the difference between an external and an internal wastgate. Where the external releases gases into the atmosphere and internal back into the system.

actually it's external and an intergral (or something like that).. the external wastegate (more expensive, more power) is actually connected to the exhaust manifold.. the intergral waste gate is built directly into the turbo it's self (space saver money saver, lower performance though)

dylan

Originally posted by DylanTheKid@Jun 12 2003, 04:40 PM
actually it's external and an intergral (or something like that).. the external wastegate (more expensive, more power) is actually connected to the exhaust manifold.. the intergral waste gate is built directly into the turbo it's self (space saver money saver, lower performance though)

dylan

No, it is not integral. I know for sure it is internal or external, where the function of a wastegate regulates boost.

In a internal wastegate turbo, the wastegate is attached to the compressor housing, and has a rod that opens a flapper vlave in the exhaust housing to vent the exhaust gasses past the turbine to maintain boost.

This shows a classic example of an internally wastegated turbo:
Mitsubishi.jpg

The external wastegate is an aftermarket piece that is either mounted to a tube that takes the place of the flapper valve of an internal system, OR is added to the exhaust manifold to vent exhaust pressure before it ever enters the turbo.

Here is a classic EXTERNAL wastegate setup. You can see that the wastegate is layed sideways, and attached to the exhaust manifold front and center on the engine:

Brian_B18C.jpg

Back