Make '92-'95 civic more safe?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

imzjustplayin

With the two videos listed below in mind, I wanted to know if it would be possible to prevent that from happening with out having to turn the car into a nascar vehicle where you can't open the doors up. I was thinking about a roll cage but I would think that would only make it safer in a roll over and not so much in improving the cars overall strength. The Civic vs 4X4 is what disturbed me the most but I was curious about what would need to be done to prevent what happened in the standardized crash test from happening. What could they really have done to make the body that much safer in a '96 or an '01 model? I'm not talking about airbags fyi.

YouTube - Honda Civic old model crash test (DEATH TRAP)
YouTube - Crash Test 4x4 vs. Honda Civic Coupe 92

bleh

If you're looking for a safe car, don't buy a Civic. Unless it's one of the newer models. Ever wonder why Civics are so light? Look at a Jetta, it's near the same size as a Civic dimensions wise, but it weighs 3000lbs, it's because of all that excess safety crap. If you want a safer car, buy a 01' up Jetta.

The second video is kinda dumb, it's not very often you're in a situation where you're going to get t-boned by a car doing 60. Most any car that happens to is going to shred like that.

If you want safer buy a bigger vehicle.

I have seen civics and crxs in crashes that looked that bad where the people just walked out.

If you want safer buy a bigger vehicle.

I have seen civics and crxs in crashes that looked that bad where the people just walked out.

If you want to be really safe you could always buy a school bus. You'd take it in the ass with gas prices though. Probably won't be the most fun thing to drive either.

If you're looking for a safe car, don't buy a Civic. Unless it's one of the newer models. Ever wonder why Civics are so light? Look at a Jetta, it's near the same size as a Civic dimensions wise, but it weighs 3000lbs, it's because of all that excess safety crap. If you want a safer car, buy a 01' up Jetta.

The second video is kinda dumb, it's not very often you're in a situation where you're going to get t-boned by a car doing 60. Most any car that happens to is going to shred like that.
Jetta lol. no.

Uh about the weight, the weight difference between the '01 (5 star) and the '95 (2-3star) is about 200LBS.
For the '95 Civics:
2 Door Coupe:2231
Hatchback: 2108
4 Door Sedan 2213
1992-1995 Honda Civic Specs & Safety - Consumer Guide Automotive

For the '01 Civics:
2 Door Coupe: 2405
Hatchback: 2744
4 Door Sedan: 2421
2001-2005 Honda Civic Specs & Safety - Consumer Guide Automotive

how bout this? roll cage, fuel cell, and 5 point harnesses, change all your windows to that lexon or whatever it is called that bullet proof glass for cars and there ya go. And if you think a roll cage would only make your car safer should you roll over you are mistaken. The roll cage improves the (for lack of a better word) solidness of the chassis and the key pillars to your car's safety. The 5 point harnesses hold firmer, the fuel cell will prevent and explosions, and the glass will prevent you from gettin glass shattered all over you.

Instead of that if you are worried so much just go buy a new civic. I saw one recently that rearended a tractor trailer, then he got rearended by another tractor trailer pushing him underneath the first trailer until he hit the axle. The driver of the civic came out with a broken leg.

Yes, you can do a roll cage if you want, and it will make the car more rigid and safer (and better handling as well) but honestly it's not gonna do much for daily driveability. You'll constantly be banging your head and legs on the bars, and it will probably limit your ability to put passengers in the back seat. You'll also be adding weight to the car (which is something you probably don't want since you're going for uber gas mileage).

In my opinion, not really worth it. If you want a safe vehicle that's still practical, then buy a Caddy/Lincoln/big ole' SUV. A degree of safety is just one of the compromises you make when choosing to drive a tiny little gas sipper...

Yes, you can do a roll cage if you want, and it will make the car more rigid and safer (and better handling as well) but honestly it's not gonna do much for daily driveability. You'll constantly be banging your head and legs on the bars, and it will probably limit your ability to put passengers in the back seat. You'll also be adding weight to the car (which is something you probably don't want since you're going for uber gas mileage).

In my opinion, not really worth it. If you want a safe vehicle that's still practical, then buy a Caddy/Lincoln/big ole' SUV. A degree of safety is just one of the compromises you make when choosing to drive a tiny little gas sipper...
If the weight added is the equivalent of going with a 2001 model, that would be perfectly fine as the 2001 models are much safer. Though one issue with the roll cage is that if the car has an issue with intruding into the foot well during an accident, the roll cage would not resolve this issue nor would it protect the occupant in a side collision. So I guess the goal would be to make this more of a derby car w/o stripping the interior.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what exactly honda did between 1995 and 1996 and 2000 to 2001 that made it safer and what can I do to emulate that.

If the weight added is the equivalent of going with a 2001 model, that would be perfectly fine as the 2001 models are much safer. Though one issue with the roll cage is that if the car has an issue with intruding into the foot well during an accident, the roll cage would not resolve this issue nor would it protect the occupant in a side collision. So I guess the goal would be to make this more of a derby car w/o stripping the interior.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what exactly honda did between 1995 and 1996 and 2000 to 2001 that made it safer and what can I do to emulate that.

Well I know they added side impact air bags as standard equipment, but that's not really something you can easily add to a car that wasn't equipped with it from the factory. Honestly I just don't know how much that you can really do to improve the structural rigidity of an already-established chassis that's not going to be impractical from a daily-driver comfort standpoint (i.e. the roll cage, or stripping the interior and adding additional welds to the chassis). You're talking about structural things that were engineered into the chassis when it was designed, so I don't know if there's really a whole lot you can do to improve upon it at this point.

Oh and just wondering, what exactly are you trying to do with this car? Are you kind of trying to build your ideal Honda within a budget?

Well I know they added side impact air bags as standard equipment, but that's not really something you can easily add to a car that wasn't equipped with it from the factory. Honestly I just don't know how much that you can really do to improve the structural rigidity of an already-established chassis that's not going to be impractical from a daily-driver comfort standpoint (i.e. the roll cage, or stripping the interior and adding additional welds to the chassis). You're talking about structural things that were engineered into the chassis when it was designed, so I don't know if there's really a whole lot you can do to improve upon it at this point.

Oh and just wondering, what exactly are you trying to do with this car? Are you kind of trying to build your ideal Honda within a budget?

Aside from airbags, I'd assume I'd have to weld in some steel to strengthen things, the question is, what exactly in the chasis differs so much as to make it stronger. Are you saying that it's not possible to keep interior peices such the plastic if you weld in pieces? I mean if they just made it thicker, then wouldn't welding in steel plates to the thickness of the newer model be sufficient?

You do realize that most, if not all, of us have owned Hondas for several years, right?
It only takes one crash to be dead. And what is worse than surviving a crash is surviving and being a cripple. The thing I'm most worried about is intrusion into the foot well which I believe is a problem on '95 civics.

It only takes one crash to be dead. And what is worse than surviving a crash is surviving and being a cripple. The thing I'm most worried about is intrusion into the foot well which I believe is a problem on '95 civics.

Maybe you should stay off the roads. I would live life locked in a house and eat pizza delivery every night. Remember, it only takes one crash so you will surely lessen your chances by just staying at home.

If you live life worrying about crashing or getting hurt, or dying you will never enjoy life like it is intended to be enjoyed. Live life to the fullest otherwise life isn't worth it or pass me a piece of that pizza.

Like I've told you at least twice, stop talking and start listening. You admitted that you try to make yourself sound like you know more than you do. Knock it off or you'll cease to get help on this site.
If I did, then I wouldn't be posting. What they're saying is that "there is nothing to be done" and I disagree, if I listened to you in this case, then the issue would remain unresolved.

^^^^^^^ people like you shouldnt drive a honda.. :) if your so worried about getting in a car accident then take the damn bus or ride a bike...... seriously.. accidents happen deal with it... you wont be the only one who gets in a accident with a honda :)

There really is nothing to be done. You're just wasting your time in my opinion. If you want a safer Civic then buy a newer one that is safer.

Don't back talk Blanco either, he is like one of the most knowledgeable people here, and he has quite a bit of patience for newbs. Don't push it I've seen him block smartasses like you in the past.

Seriously man your crying and whining about the fact that you may get in a wreck then sitting here and arguing with us about the fact that there aren't very many ways to go about fixing that. If you don't like the suggestions find another site to ask the question on so they will tell you lies cause here on hondaswap you get the truth like it or not. suck it up be a man and understand that you could walk out your front door tomorrow your innocent little paper boy could throw your paper to you and hit you in your weak ass fluttered little heart and kill you instantly. DEATH HAPPENS. QUIT FEARING IT AND START LIVING YOUR LIFE. Maybe it is just me but I would love to die in my car. I am not ready to die but if I ever died in my car it would be a good way to go because I was doing what I love, driving. Maybe that is just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back