Make '92-'95 civic more safe?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some roll cages on the street can be just as harmful....they get rid of crumple zones(you'll feel more of the impact than if the car's body was to absorb the impact) and without a helmet you can bump your head on the bars.

Best bet: buy a safer car. I like Volvo's. :)

Seriously look up all the safety data for cars. Find out which have the best ratings. Look at Toyota also. Find the one with the best rating and buy that. Do you realize that if you start making some areas stronger you can actually make your self worse in a crash. Cars are designed to crumple in accidents to help absorb the shock. So you might reinforce some area you shouldn't have and end up living but with more serious neck and spine injuries. You have to remember for everything you do to a car there is a trade off. Maybe you should go to a nascar shop and talk with them. But whats good for racing isn't alwyas good for the street.
The car designers have a lot more knowledge than any of us do and they have the proper equipment to test to make sure what they did made a difference.

Accidents I think are a gamble. You can have the safest car built, get hit just right and your fucked. Think about accidents you have seen or been in. I have seen some cars take a good front hit where the person died. Some of it also depends how tense you are when you get hit, that is why drunks don't get hurt as bad. Your health matters too.

If you want to be really safe you could always buy a school bus. You'd take it in the ass with gas prices though. Probably won't be the most fun thing to drive either.
Then weld grills on the side and a huge spiked rack on the the front. Dont forget slots to stick your chainsaw out the sides to fend off brain eating zombies!:D

If you want a safer car keep the car stock, you sound like to much of a pussy to have more then a stock b16 in your civic, you don't need a roll cage unless your running in the 11s range and I really doubt that your man enough you drive a civic with 400hp to make that kind of time.

when i drive, im not trying to crash my ride, i try to have other drivers not hit me,

One of the best accident avoidance is paying attention to other drivers and what you are doing. While you can't avoid every accident you can avoid a lot. Don't drive like an asshole.

ALRIGHT! EVERYBODY LISTEN UP!

This thread is confusing on so many levels...I will attempt to alleviate some of that on both sides...

To everyone besides the OP:

From reading this guy's other thread, it appears that he doesn't even have the car yet. He's debating on whether or not to buy one depending on how safe he can make it and whether or not he can swap in a a regular gasoline engine capable of 50+ mpg that still makes 130 horses. I think the idea is that he wants to build his dream econo-car on a fairly small budget.

I point all this out to say this is why he's being so stubborn about it. He's not just looking for any safe car, he really does want to know to make the EG chassis safer, because that's the only car he's interested in. This is why he's ignoring everyone telling him to buy a Volvo or a newer Civic. I think he's being a little unrealistic, but oh well, that's his problem...

To the OP:

Like I said before (and which you conveniently ignored), you're really talking about structural issues here which need to be addressed during the car's design process. Yeah, we can say "sure, yeah, just weld in some extra metal and you'll be good to go" (and that seems to be what you want to hear) but there's no guarantees at all that it would actually make the car any safer.

The kind of questions you're asking here really should be answered by automotive design engineers, not by gear-heads on Internet forums...

Do you want to know how to install a turbo or which coil-overs will tighten up your car's handling? If so, then HondaSwap can definitely help you out...

Do you want to know how to structurally reinforce a car's chassis to provide extra protection against impacts? Then go call someone in the engineering department at Honda HQ!!! None of us here are automotive designers (at least none that I know who post regularly), so the only answers you're going to get here are the ones that have already been said: put a cage in it or just buy a safer car to start with.

I think it's gotten to the point where you're wasting your time and ours...

Ok then, how about this...
Let's just assume that a '92-'95 civic is out of the question.. This is from the IIHS website crashtest of a '96-'00 civic.
image.ashx

Now I'm wondering what would be more difficult. Making structural changes to the '96-'00 civic so that it would not do the above in an accident.

Or

Swapping the Engine from a '95 VX hatchback and putting it into an '01 Civic, getting it smog certified in California, and getting a body kit for the rear and front to match that of the '96 and or preferably '95 civic coupe.

Last edited:
be careful on what body kits you buy some require you to remove your front and rear brace bars, since your so dead set on safety.

According to this:JTR Chevrolet S-10 Truck . California Smog Laws
I should be ok if I can prove the car produces fewer or the same emissions as the newer model.

You should read better.

The basic intent of the California engine change laws is that when you do an engine swap, the new engine/transmission cannot pollute more than the original engine/transmission. This means the newly installed engine must be the same year (or newer) as the vehicle, and all emissions controls on the newly installed engine must be installed and functional.

Ok then, how about this...
Let's just assume that a '92-'95 civic is out of the question.. This is from the IIHS website crashtest of a '96-'00 civic.
image.ashx

Now I'm wondering what would be more difficult. Making structural changes to the '96-'00 civic so that it would not do the above in an accident.

Or

Swapping the Engine from a '95 VX hatchback and putting it into an '01 Civic, getting it smog certified in California, and getting a body kit for the rear and front to match that of the '96 and or preferably '95 civic coupe.

Wow...

The following is a direct quote from the website you just linked to:

This means the newly installed engine must be the same year (or newer) as the vehicle, and all emissions controls on the newly installed engine must be installed and functional.
The engine has to be the same year or newer, no exceptions. Anything else is illegal.

So no, you cannot swap the older engine into the newer chassis.

And even if you hypothetically could, why the hell would you then attempt to convert the car's front and rear end to that of the 92-95 model? That can't be done through a simple body kit bumper you bolt on. It would require extensive body and paint work, and cost you thousands of dollars. At that point (as far as money spent goes) you might as well just buy a newer hybrid Civic and get the gas mileage and safety ratings you want without having to do any swapping or structurally reinforcing.

Even if you did manage to convert the front and rear end, it's still not going to look like the older version, it's gonna look like the newer version with front and rear conversions. The body lines and the shape of the car are still going to look different. In fact, it will probably look like shit. You can't mix and match body parts from two different cars who's stying is nearly ten years removed from the other. Well...I guess you can...but IT'S GONNA LOOK SHIT!!!!!

Just please, please answer me this: Why the hell are you so obsessed with building a 92-95 Civic into something that it's not and won't ever be without a shit load of professional R&D (and therefore money) invested???

I mean I understand if you really like the body style or whatever, but seriously, this is just not realistic. Not at all. Like I said, for all the money you're going to spend on this stupid project you could just buy a newer, nicer car that better fits your criteria...

Last edited:
i agree with you man, people spend loads of money and get their car stolen/recked. Drive more carefully, more safe and caustious instead of smashing all the time. Everybody wants to be a racer, you crash you loose, so dont CRASH!

If you want to be really safe you could always buy a school bus. You'd take it in the ass with gas prices though. Probably won't be the most fun thing to drive either.

Lol, imzjustplayin just tried neg repping me for this, noob your rep doesn't count for shit anyways. Personally I thought it was pretty funny. Grow a sense of humor or fuck off.

Imzjustplayin, how old are you?

You need to go see a psychiatrist , seriously, you have some bad OCD about becoming a cripple in a car accident.

Listen to these guys cause I'd tell you the same thing,

Imzjustplayin, how old are you?

You need to go see a psychiatrist , seriously, you have some bad OCD about becoming a cripple in a car accident.

Listen to these guys cause I'd tell you the same thing,

Seriously, you gotta die sometime. Can't live in a glass case for your entire life, that's boring.

Lol, imzjustplayin just tried neg repping me for this, noob your rep doesn't count for shit anyways. Personally I thought it was pretty funny. Grow a sense of humor or fuck off.

:lmao:

I like how he started this thread, got totally trashed on, and then just abandoned it and went and started a new thread in a different area of the forums. Like it's gonna be different people there giving him different answers?

How about you fuck off. Now every time I look at my CP, all I can see is this stupid notification that I've got neg repped and it will never go away. I hate vbulletin's bullshit and you're only exacerbating the problem.:mad:

And what is it with you people? Why do you insist on flaming me for being concerned with being a cripple? Let me guess, since you already drive an old civic and nothing bad has happened to you yet, you figure the same will be true for me? That I shouldn't worry about this shit? How about you think of it this way, if I had the comfort in knowing that I'm not going to be fucked up for the rest of my life if I get into an accident in one of these things, I think that would result in a lot less worrying than constantly worrying about getting in an accident because I know what the consequences will be. It's like the difference between speeding and not speeding, the people who speed generally say "not to worry" yet they're probably worrying more than those who don't speed in the first place.

I understand that I could always buy a safer vehicle, but the point I'm trying to make is that I firmly believe retrofitting an older vehicle for safety would be more than possible and economical. How do they make older vehicles for racing any safer besides a roll cage, 5 point harness and padding? I'd imagine they're doing a lot more than that..

Anyhow this doesn't really matter so much anymore as I'm not quite as interested in the '95 civic as I once was, though if any upcoming developments can make my needs viable, then so be it otherwise I'm not going to sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back