Make '92-'95 civic more safe?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you miss the part where I said that hit a cement wall head on? Did you miss the part where I said a kid down the street from me died?

You're either a know-it-all or just too stupid to listen to sound advice.
You weren't going 35mph now were you? How tall are you?

I understand that I could always buy a safer vehicle, but the point I'm trying to make is that I firmly believe retrofitting an older vehicle for safety would be more than possible and economical. How do they make older vehicles for racing any safer besides a roll cage, 5 point harness and padding? I'd imagine they're doing a lot more than that..

I'd just like to point out that I already answered this question. In addition to the stuff you listed, you can also strip out the interior and have additional welds put into the chassis to stiffen it up. I have no clue why you think all of this can be done economically though. By the time you have a shop build a cage, install seats with harnesses, and reinforce the chassis you might as well just buy a newer, safer car, WHICH IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN TELLING YOU SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING!!!!!

[/rant]

I'd just like to point out that I already answered this question. In addition to the stuff you listed, you can also strip out the interior and have additional welds put into the chassis to stiffen it up. I have no clue why you think all of this can be done economically though. By the time you have a shop build a cage, install seats with harnesses, and reinforce the chassis you might as well just buy a newer, safer car, WHICH IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN TELLING YOU SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING!!!!!

[/rant]
Who said I'd have a shop do this? What fun is there in hiring someone to do the work for you? This sort of thing would not require highly specialized tools as you seem to be implying.

I understand that I could always buy a safer vehicle, but the point I'm trying to make is that I firmly believe retrofitting an older vehicle for safety would be more than possible and economical. How do they make older vehicles for racing any safer besides a roll cage, 5 point harness and padding? I'd imagine they're doing a lot more than that..

They are. It's called a track.

Who said I'd have a shop do this? What fun is there in hiring someone to do the work for you? This sort of thing would not require highly specialized tools as you seem to be implying.

Alright, fine then Mr. Smart Guy. Tell me where you'd need to add welds to the chassis please. Tell me how you'd go about building an effective roll cage and how much the materials are going to cost. Tell me what you know about tube frames. Tell me how much you'd have to pay for a decent set of racing seats and 5-point harnesses...

If you already know all about how to do this stuff and how much it's going to cost, then why are you here asking us about it? Go out and buy your car and get started on it...drop back in a few weeks and let us know how it's going...

You can try and do this kind of stuff yourself, but if you don't have any experience in it then most likely you're going to end up with a car that's less safe than what you started with...plus the resale value of it will be ruined...which once again leads me to the conclusion that you should just buy a safer car to start with...are you tired of this circular logic yet?

hahaa, no need for roll cages unless you'r on the track man, racing on the streets, one mistake your done for, hit a poll, tree, cow, whatever, its gonna be head on. If you are going really fast, its game over and it dont matter if you spent thousands to on your ride to make it safer

Oh, you mean the fact that I'm one of most knowledgeable and therefore respected posters? No, that's because I listened to the people who taught me. :)

And according to my mom, I've been an asshole my entire life. A better reason for my sarcasm would be copious amounts of Monty Python and Benny Hill as a young child. ;)

If you want to learn, shut the fuck up and listen instead of insisting that your failed logic is correct. You're a know-it-all kid who, in all actuality, doesn't even know his ass from a hole in the ground. You don't have clue one what it takes to structurally reinforce a vehicle. Have you ever even had your hands on a real race car? Have you ever seen a tube frame? Ever even seen a roll cage up close?

You're a coward and the type of person who causes accidents because you're too scared to be on the road.
You have the fucking audacity to go and call me a "know-it-all" then tell me that I should "listen" when you clearly are the "know-it-all". I was just reading through a thread about VTEC on I believe Honda-tech.com, one of the posters berated another for saying that there is "no such thing as a 3 stage VTEC" and that he has had 16 yrs of experience with hondas. Well guess what, he got thoroughly owned later on when he was proven wrong, by a newbie no less. The point is, years don't matter, all that matters is knowledge, something that you may have proven to others on this board but not to me.

I don't care if you really are the most knowledgeable on this forum, it has no meaning because for all I know this forum could be for shadetree mechanics who think doing an engine swap makes them 1337 and therefore the knowledge they and YOU possess is measurably less than what I'm asking for. You certainly could know a lot more about cars than you currently do, yet you give the impression that you're a guru and for me to question you is preposterous and I should be "honored" to be even getting your halfassed "it can't be done" advice.

I wouldn't care if you said "it can't be done" or "it'd be far too expensive and not worth it", however you took it a step further and instead of trying to logically figure out how and why, or what would be needed to make it possible, you and BrutalB83 chose to insult me which was completely uncalled for. Instead of giving the impression that you're knowledgeable, are considerate and deserve respect, you have instead flipped things 180 degrees and instead look like an arrogant, shit mechanic who deserves no more respect than a 20 something best buy associate being a "computer technician" with his A+ certification and all.

You have the fucking audacity to go and call me a "know-it-all" then tell me that I should "listen" when you clearly are the "know-it-all". I was just reading through a thread about VTEC on I believe Honda-tech.com, one of the posters berated another for saying that there is "no such thing as a 3 stage VTEC" and that he has had 16 yrs of experience with hondas. Well guess what, he got thoroughly owned later on when he was proven wrong, by a newbie no less. The point is, years don't matter, all that matters is knowledge, something that you may have proven to others on this board but not to me.

I don't care if you really are the most knowledgeable on this forum, it has no meaning because for all I know this forum could be for shadetree mechanics who think doing an engine swap makes them 1337 and therefore the knowledge they and YOU possess is measurably less than what I'm asking for. You certainly could know a lot more about cars than you currently do, yet you give the impression that you're a guru and for me to question you is preposterous and I should be "honored" to be even getting your halfassed "it can't be done" advice.

I wouldn't care if you said "it can't be done" or "it'd be far too expensive and not worth it", however you took it a step further and instead of trying to logically figure out how and why, or what would be needed to make it possible, you and BrutalB83 chose to insult me which was completely uncalled for. Instead of giving the impression that you're knowledgeable, are considerate and deserve respect, you have instead flipped things 180 degrees and instead look like an arrogant, shit mechanic who deserves no more respect than a 20 something best buy associate being a "computer technician" with his A+ certification and all.

:ban3:

I'mzjustplayin,

Most people have a fear of gettin in an accident but you're taking it to whole other level. I'm with the other's your extreme cautiousness and cowardness is actually dangerous to other drivers on the road. I also agree with everyone else telling you this isn't a project for the "do-it-yourselfer", R&D is necessary with this type of project and a professional and experienced chassis/frame builder should be doing the work or working along side at the very least.

Now you may be somewhat mechanically inclined, but you DO NOT have enough knowledge to be building or modifying a chassis. You'll end up ruining the structural integrity, as well effecting the handling of the vehicle also.

One more person to tell you, do yourself a favor and just buy a newer, safer vehicle and always stay in the far right lane.

"For all [you] know", which is very little. THAT, is the point you're missing.

I don't call myself a guru, other people started doing that of their own volition and free will. I help work on a tube frame race car that sees action every Saturday night. The chances that I know just a little bit about this, are fairly good.

We did try to be nice to you at first. You refused to listen to anything other than what you wanted to hear. You seem to conveniently look past that. How many people have said, "just take it to an engineer"? How many times have you told those people, "I can do it myself"? No, you can't. Beyond that, it is not practical nor is it cheap. The race car I work on cost $5k for the frame alone and that was with a "bro deal". Why? Because it's significantly more involved that just welding a bunch of tubes together and beyond that, you have to be a damn good welder or the welds will break when their strength is needed most.

Beyond that, just buy a safer car if you're this concerned about crashing. You've been told that several times, too. Yet another answer that you completely disregard because it isn't what you want to hear. What makes you think that any member of this forum wants to put your life in their hands by giving you build advice on this? These grounds are for trained professionals, only. ONLY!

The problem isn't us, buddy. It's you. Realize that the correct answer is often the one that you don't want to hear. You haven't listened to any answer to any question you've asked. You continue to insist that you're correct, to people who are knowledgeable far beyond you. This is the very definition of a "know-it-all". You haven't shown any amount of respect to any person who's tried to help you, so makes you think you deserve any amount of respect in return? What kind of elitist bullshit is that?

My point about you being the kind of person who causes accidents by being scared still stands. You, are a coward.

The problem isn't me, it's you and your ego. You and others are at fault for blowing this discussion out of proportion. You insist on being an asshole and guess what, I don't listen to assholes and especially one with an ego. You really think I care that you work on soapbox cars? Guess what, I don't, and you telling me that I should be impressed isn't going to impress me. You want to know how you could impress me? By drawing a very detailed schematic and giving me a highly detailed, concise answer to my question telling me how and what exactly I would need to do, how much it'd cost, what it would and wouldn't do, what you'd sacrifice and issues I may incur. Then I could decide for myself whether it'd be worth it or not. Instead, because of your lack of experience/knowledge and patience, you spend the time finding different ways of telling me how I'm an ignorant fool and how you're so much more experienced than me, without demonstrating it.

Also how is it that you think it's perfectly viable to install a roll cage yet you don't think it's viable to reinforce the structure of a car for when you get into a front end collision? I need to talk to a safety engineer in order to prevent the car from crumpling in of itself in a front end collision but not in a roll over? Your bullshit "it's complicated so therefore you should give up" answers could be easily applied to installing a roll cage. Anything that involves a collision isn't perfect, no system will work perfectly every time and may fail given the right circumstances even though it should have worked. Considering this, you and BrutalB83 are in no position to be giving guidance on any sort of crash safety because neither of you are crash safety engineers.

The problem isn't me, it's you and your ego. You and others are at fault for blowing this discussion out of proportion. You insist on being an asshole and guess what, I don't listen to assholes and especially one with an ego. You really think I care that you work on soapbox cars? Guess what, I don't, and you telling me that I should be impressed isn't going to impress me. You want to know how you could impress me? By drawing a very detailed schematic and giving me a highly detailed, concise answer to my question telling me how and what exactly I would need to do, how much it'd cost, what it would and wouldn't do, what you'd sacrifice and issues I may incur. Then I could decide for myself whether it'd be worth it or not. Instead, because of your lack of experience/knowledge and patience, you spend the time finding different ways of telling me how I'm an ignorant fool and how you're so much more experienced than me, without demonstrating it.

Also how is it that you think it's perfectly viable to install a roll cage yet you don't think it's viable to reinforce the structure of a car for when you get into a front end collision? I need to talk to a safety engineer in order to prevent the car from crumpling in of itself in a front end collision but not in a roll over? Your bullshit "it's complicated so therefore you should give up" answers could be easily applied to installing a roll cage. Anything that involves a collision isn't perfect, no system will work perfectly every time and may fail given the right circumstances even though it should have worked. Considering this, you and BrutalB83 are in no position to be giving guidance on any sort of crash safety because neither of you are crash safety engineers.

They've already told you they couldn't guide you because they didn't or aren't qualified in that specific field of auto technology. You really are just a fuckin moron, i know it's difficult but if you actually interpreted what you read you'd understand what everyone is saying. How many times and by how many different people have to say this for you to understand?

No one on this site has the type of knowledge you're looking for, if you're gonna waste your money because you're a little bitch who thinks he's gonna become a cripple in an accident, so be it. Just shut the fuck up, it's ok if you aren't 100% correct. With the way you're presenting yourself, you may only be correct 2-3% of the time.

It sounds like you want a whole fucking lot, for free. You have to pay someone for what you want. Nobody will donate that to you. I never one time said that a roll cage is a viable option for a street car. If you actually read what people were typing to you, you would've grasped the concept that it's a stupid fucking idea. Nobody is telling you to "give up" because it's complicated. It's because you're a fucking idiot.

He speaks the truth

No one on this site has the type of knowledge you're looking for, if you're gonna waste your money because you're a little bitch who thinks he's gonna become a cripple in an accident, so be it. Just shut the fuck up, it's ok if you aren't 100% correct. With the way you're presenting yourself, you may only be correct 2-3% of the time.

He speaks the truth
I've already acknowledged this, my point was that they should either post in the format I outlined and what I feel "good people" follow or just not post at all, I mean is it really that difficult to restrain yourself? Would you say that their last 5 posts they made in both threads were even worthwhile? To me, I think they get their rocks off by flaming noobs and I'm just being targeted. Nothing I've said in either thread is controversial, at least I don't think so, I've read all their posts and responded accordingly, so it is of my opinion that what I'm dealing with at least two douchebags.

Just shut the fuck up, already. If you would just stop insisting that you're correct, when you are blatantly incorrect, you'd stop getting berated for it. You act like a spoiled brat who's throwing a temper tantrum because he isn't getting his way.

Soapbox car? Try mini-stock. It wasn't meant to impress you, you fucking idiot. It was meant as credential. How many race cars have you even touched? You don't know shit about shit and I demonstrate my experience on this site on daily basis.

It sounds like you want a whole fucking lot, for free. You have to pay someone for what you want. Nobody will donate that to you. I never one time said that a roll cage is a viable option for a street car. If you actually read what people were typing to you, you would've grasped the concept that it's a stupid fucking idea. Nobody is telling you to "give up" because it's complicated. It's because you're a fucking idiot.

You're like a broken record of a crybaby. "Whhaaaaa, I'm not getting the answers I want so you're dummy-dummy poo-poo- head!"

Hmm, did you forget what you posted?
You've been given your answer, a roll cage or a more robust vehicle. If that's not the answer you want, tough shit.

Anyhow, why are any of you posting if you don't know the answer? Am I to assume that you two are the only knowledgeable posters on this whole fucking forum and that if neither of you know the answer, that I this thread will not be exposed to those who do have the answer? You have not made this clear, what is clear however is that you guys like to brag about how knowledgeable you are but then when I ask a question that isn't in your field of knowledge, you flame me and call me an idiot.

If you don't know and you're not asking a question, don't fucking post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back