making my red mirage paint shine again

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
some of the paint on my red car (the roof and trunk especially) has faded out to a slight pinkish hue. what can i do short of re-painting the car to get the red to come back?

rubbing compound and a wax?

By wetsanding you are taking off the top layer of clearcoat that has begun to fade.

You need to be VERY careful with that, and I would recommend 3000, not 2000 grit. Also, if you see ANY red on the sandpaper, STOP... You have gone through the clearcoat and into the basecoat.

I would recommend a high speed buffer (Not an Orbital) with a mild abrasive compound, and finish it off with a high speed hit of some straight carnuba. Be careful with a high speed buffer, as you can burn the paint, and avoid creases & body lines with an orbital, as those will burn even easier.

unfortunately, no. i have a welder though :)

looks like ill be buying a buffer. what kind of compound do you recommend?

3m light is all you will need but do a test spot some cars don't have a clear coat.
a mild cut then a good buff will be a good days work

once you have got your car buffed out, start using a claybar when washing your car, it prevents the dirt from penetrating your clearcoat and make it fade, a regular washing mitt will not do this, i used to deatil and this was an awesome tool. i have a 92 dx hatch, and my paint is in near perfect conditon for its year, because i have used the claybar. just a thought
~Ryan

i spent a few hours cutting with rubbing compound, then waxing my car twice. made a HUGE difference. i'll post pics when my cam is charged.

92dxhatch said:
once you have got your car buffed out, start using a claybar when washing your car, it prevents the dirt from penetrating your clearcoat and make it fade, a regular washing mitt will not do this, i used to deatil and this was an awesome tool. i have a 92 dx hatch, and my paint is in near perfect conditon for its year, because i have used the claybar. just a thought
~Ryan

Use of claybar on a weekly basis can actually be TOO harsh on your paint. While you are keeping all of the dirt out, you can actually cause problems because you can be removing wax as well. You should only claybar when you are waxing.

such as i heard :)

im going to re-wax the car this coming weekend. i'll keep the claybar in mind. the rubbing compound made a huge difference, though.

ScrapinSi said:
Use of claybar on a weekly basis can actually be TOO harsh on your paint. While you are keeping all of the dirt out, you can actually cause problems because you can be removing wax as well. You should only claybar when you are waxing.

acctually this is wrong, you clay before you wax, here you say it will remove wax, and it will if clay after you wax. heres the thing, a claybar will not harm you paint on a weekly basis, and who ever told you that, i'm sorry its wrong, because, yes it takes out the dirt, but it is not stong enough to damage the clearcoat thus harming yout paint. it is a detailers tool. i detailed for a year and half, belive me, i detailed some of the nicest paint jobs, calybars are fine, you have to remember to change them out every other wash, because if you don't want the dirt that it picks up scraching your paint. when you clay you wipe and then fold the clay revieling a new clean area. always remember to clay with soap or a clay detailer, DO NOT TRY IT DRY.
i wash my car everyother week, and detail it once a month, i get the best complement on how clean and good my paint looks for a 14 year old car! this why people.

Back