Man Dies After Winning Vodka-Drinking Contest

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Man Dies After Winning Vodka-Drinking Contest
Nov 19, 9:35 am ET

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A vodka-drinking competition in a southern Russian town ended in tragedy with the winner dead and several runners-up in intensive care.
"The competition lasted 30, perhaps 40 minutes and the winner downed three half-liter bottles. He was taken home by taxi but died within 20 minutes," said Roman Popov, a prosecutor pursuing the case in the town of Volgodonsk.

"Five contestants ended up in intensive care. Those not in hospital turned up the next day, ostensibly for another drink."

Popov said the director of the shop organizing this month's contest had been charged with manslaughter. He had offered 10 liters of vodka to the competitor drinking the most in the shortest time.

Russians drink the equivalent of 15 liters of pure alcohol per head annually, one of the highest rates in the world. Some experts estimate one in seven Russians is an alcoholic.

That's horrible.

Alcoholism is a bad thing.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Nov 19 2003, 11:32 PM
That's horrible.

Alcoholism is a bad thing.

I think that it was more a case of alcohol poisoning rather than from being an alcoholic. I'm all for fun times, but there's no need for being stupid about it. I wonder what the first prize was?

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Nov 19 2003, 11:25 PM
He had offered 10 liters of vodka to the competitor drinking the most in the shortest time.an alcoholic.

it does! :p

Good for him, drinking isn't what it used to be for myself when back when I was a starting member I would post every time I was wasted and now I can't even go out cause drinking is just plain boring.

what ever happened to competing in sports and shit..

it's different when you grow up on it.

one of my roomates from college was from russia- siberia to be exact. he'd get cocked off 3 beers.... but could drink vodka like it was water. they grow up on the shit. its a totally different culture

One word : Darwinism.

Come on people, you enter a vodka drinking contest, there are no winners. Let's play russian roulette while we are at it, then put the outcome in the paper as well. If you drink 1.5 litres of Vodka on purpose to win a contest, then the shallow end of that gene pool was almost barren.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 20 2003, 03:17 AM
i drank a 750 once..... but not in 30 min. lol

750 oz?? i don't think so. I think you meen 750 Ml. 750oz is 5.85 Gallons

Bah, I downed a liter of Tequlia silver in an hour, threw up and went out drinking all night.

1 pint of moonshine free (curtosy of my friends dad), 4 shots of tequila $15, passing out in the middle of the road on 4th of july PRICELESS.

Damn and i remember every detail of that night, 1st we just started messin around moonin cars and shit, then we smoked like 3 blunts, went back to this girls house played playstation while "doing my thang", than went back out and that last shot of moonshine knocked me out.

Back