Manager vs. Leader

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

After posting that picture, no one is going to say that they are Managers.

I've been a Manager, and am pursuing a job as Manager. Most people have no idea how hard it is - Making people happy from above and below, and still making a better bottom line.

I'm a leader by personality type, but I learned something from doing so...

... Whats the quickest way to get fired with a folder full of recommendations ?

Be a leader.

If you go against management, even once, you're fucked forever. I helped my last boss' marriage and she still canned me. I had a petition signed by the entire staff to bring me back, and it was ignored. I tried my best to make sense and make the best of things, instead of politically best - and was shown the door for it. And not just once, but at many times in my career.

What I've learned is a little from what others have learned : I don't work for women anymore. Even when the employment team talked to her about my firing, she said "I just didn't feel right with him around".

Being a leader is useless if you can't get the trust of managment. It's "their" people you're toying with.

It's not right, but it makes sense. No one can deny that.

The only thing about leadership positions, you have to basically be two-faced. you have to please your managers, while making your people think you are friends with them. it's a tough thing to do.

it happens everywhere. the office, military, even on the football field. leaders have to please everybody.

That's the looks on the outset - People appreciate being honest. The people below your position especially - BUT when you're honest, at work as at home, the consequence is dire. Being honest with those below you ("This plan for more office space is being denied because the director is getting revenge for losing out on the new PC rollout from 4 months ago") causes discord among those at that level. Basically, your best efforts blow up in your face.

So I started lying. Because the effect is better at the end.

So there is lying, but I believe that you can keep your dignity while doing so.

I've taken a couple classes on this actually. It's pretty interesting how you can not be a douchebag and solve situations. I'm actually in the business management program, and pretty much all my classes stress corporate management styles and the variations in solving issues with employees and employers.

But I'm pretty much going to school to enter positions of management. Not to be a douchebag, I have my fair share of management experience(super young age at lowe's, bk, hollywood video) and I know how to get it done in simple retail outlets where the employees want to work for you, and the managers want to suck your dick. I mostly used to just buy them beer, cover a shift on a whim for an employee, and increase the targeted sales and keep a very organized fluid department,store. Funny thing was, even in construction, my cut guys are usually about 10 years older than me and I still have to do the same thing.

Everywhere I've gone had the shittiest management so far. Italian restaurant were just straight up assholes the management spit in my food and another manager just didn't like me and talked shit to me every chance he got until I called him out. The place I'm at now likes to change your schedule and cut your hours without even calling so you show up to work in uniform 5 miles away then they just say "what are you doing here?" and show you the new schedule.

Except the chinese restaurant I was at was pretty damn good about management. I mean, all you had to do was call in and say "I want today off" and they say "Ok, you no come today you off" and not even have to worry about getting cut. Same thing the other way "I want more hours" they say "Ok, you work every day?" and simply work it out, it was just awesome. But I just couldn't stand it there and now I'm really regretting leaving on bad terms I could have it so much better right now if I had just stayed. Shit they sent me home at least twice for doing weed/coke at work and didn't fire me, I had the same hours the next week.

first, food service is a whole different world. all logistics are thrown out the window.

second, if you are having trouble making ends meet, you should lay off the dope.

I've been clean for 8 months and staying that way, I was just using that as an example of how good I had it there like how forgiving they are. My boss was actually a really nice guy and liked to talk to his employees about their problems. He helped me decide to quit.

The BEST management I've ever worked around.

I've delt with similar situations in the retail business. I had a couple guys smoking at lowe's in the back, where the cameras weren't. I was the Mill Works manager, but I delt mostly with building materials as there wasn't a team leader so I was the faux morning manager for the department. I pretty much had to befriend the guys, not go 100% above their head and get them fired, but gently remind them our policies, and that they needed to go home, and if caught again blah blah. It would have cost me my job for not releasing them, and going above them. 2nd time. They got caught by the MOD(manager on duty) and just got sent home, and then drug tested 2 weeks later, so we could retain them as employees. At this point, I was thoroughly involved with their evaluations, and me not getting them fired, made it so they would work in a much more productive way when I was the manager, or when I had some sway in the area. It was super useful in getting our inventory done(bigggg deal in retail) and getting all the OT I could out of them.

Back