Manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

weirdman77

Hi i have a 93 civic I was putting a intake on my car about a few weeks ago and i heard about how port and polishing smoothed out the intake manafold for better air flow so i decided to feal and see how it is in side of it so i stuck my finger in and just past the throttle body was some black slimy shit i just barly touched it so i don't know how much is in there but i was wondering if it would help if i detached it this weekend and like spray it out and try removing the junk in there.

Also if any one knows how much hp would you gain if i got my manifold ported and polished, i have a friend that can do it for free.

thanks

What motor do you have? If its still the SOHC, it probably won't be worth it. Get the Skunk2 Intake manifold.

i wouldnt waste my time on porting and polishing the intake manifold. would it flow better? yes, if you also had your head pnp. do both or none.

That "slimey shit" you feel is probably oil in your intake manifold. If your pcv system is set up with the intake manifold as the main vacuum source you can get some oil blow by. Eventually that oil will be sucked in to the motor from your intake, which isn't very good. If you have an excess oil build up in the intake manifold a good catch can setup can eliminate most of it. If you are concerned about it Greddy makes a good system from what i've heard.

just disconnect the line that goes from the valve cover to the intake. then the oil will just squirt to the floor leaving your intakemanifold clean.

LOL! Well i guess that's one way to do it. In the old days venting the crankcase to the atmosphere was common, now that's probably not a very good idea. The pcv system was created for a reason. If the motor requires additional vacuum to vent the crank case then you should leave it that way. If the crankcase is not being ventilated properly, the additional build up of pressure has to get out some how, and you will probably start to see oil leaks where you hadn't seen them before.

hmm maybe thats why i have yet to see one spec of oil come out from there.

could i just like make my own catch can? maybe get a bottle and poke 2 holes in it and put to lines in it and seal it up really good and connected it? woudl that work? i dont wanna spend on a catch can.

and if so what type of can should i use? plastic would be the easiest so i could just melt the plastic to make it air tight. but would the heat of the engine melt my waterbottle?

you can just buy some carb cleaner at pep boys/autozone. that will get rid of all that black stuff in your manifold. but make sure to read the instructions on how to use it. you have to rev your engine while spraying it or your engine will just stall due to the lack of air/oxygen going into your manifold. won't hurt it, but you will have to wait for all the stuff to evaporate before you can turn the engine over again.

highperboi, if you wanted to make your own catch can you would have to use something ridged. A plastic bottle would collapse under the vacuum pressure. You would be surprised how much vacuum your intake actually pulls at WOT. I have seen people make their own catch can with a smaller pint paint can or similar, but they too end up collapsing under the pressure. I believe the greddy setup is only about $80.

Back