Manifolds: Ramhorn vs. Log vs. Cast

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
Hey guys, ive been looking around for quite sometime into what type of manifold i should get to replace my current one. I have a cast turbo manifold from ebay, it was purchased to get the job done til the time comes where i needed to upgrade it. Now i know Inline Pro makes some of the best cast manifolds on the market but they only work with B-series which limits D-series builders like myself. Then you have the tubular manifolds that come in either a Ramhorn or Log style. For those who don't know what they look like here are examples:
Ramhorn
ramhorn_b_1_thumb.jpg

Log Style
turboManifold_log.jpg

Cast (Inline Pro)
IP-CIT3-Lg.gif

Now each manifold has its Pro's, and each has its Con's.

As far as i know, they cast iron has a longer durability, but the tubular manifolds have better flow, but im not clear on anything other then that.
What are your opinions on which manifold is better, whether it be for a B/F/D/H/K series engine or because you've read this or that, or know from personal experience. I want to know anything and everything you guys have to offer.

Hopefully this thread will come to use for any other members in need of some answers questioned.

Thanks,
TurboRex90

Ram horns and top mounts flow better all around. Log style resiste cracking a little more, because there is less material to crack. But, they dont flow as good as ram horns. Cast have the best durability, but also flow the least.

the best manifold has:
- equal length runners
- wastegate positing equidistant at a common collector (so all runners hit the wg evenly) the log you posted above, 2 and 3 will blow into the wg, but 1 and 4 are not good sources.
- strong enough to support the weight of the turbo without cracking

thus, the ram horn (and designs like it) are the best design.

but, do you NEED the best design?

- wastegate positing equidistant at a common collector (so all runners hit the wg evenly) the log you posted above, 2 and 3 will blow into the wg, but 1 and 4 are not good sources.
Its better than the ebays that have the WG flange right on the #1 runner.

In case you are really interested in a Ramhorn manifold that is A/C compatible, here is a comparison some idiot on HS did. I hope it helps. :D

https://hondaswap.com/forced-induction/c-compatible-ramhorn-manifold-comparison-199388/

Haha! it was you. But thanks guys. I know that the best flowing manifolds have the WG positioned so that all 4 runners will hit it evenly, unfortunately i have one of those cast manifolds with the WG located on the 1st runner..matter of fact i remember the diagram i got when i bought my turbosmart 38mm wastegate, i dont know why but it showed different angles of positioning a WG the best and worst ways etc and just so happens my manifold falls under the "worst" way lol. It is angled slightly up and that puts the WG angled back..i know its bad, funny though cuz my turbosmart ultragate is the shortest gate i could find on the market and i still had to put a hole in my CF hood to close it.. none the less having a whole with the words TURBOSMART ULTRAGATE sticking through really turned some heads ha, shame the hood had to come up at 60mph into my windshield.. if you guys are interested in seeing that mess check my other threads... But besides it rusting ive been looking for new a new manifold and luckily the guy who tunes my car can make me a custom tubular. 300-400$ for a Log and 700-800$ for a ramhorn. Sound like a good deal? this guy has done many of builds and all of them he has done the piping intercooler/dumptube/exhaust etc, all the way up to 4" pipes and welding together intercooler pipes. So he's reliable, but do you think that is a good range? Oh and BTW i dont have A/C or powersteering so finding a manifold that is compitable isnt important.
Gonna read your thread now Luis :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ram horns and top mounts flow better all around. Log style resiste cracking a little more, because there is less material to crack. But, they dont flow as good as ram horns. Cast have the best durability, but also flow the least.

I actually did come across a cast top mount. It's so odd, it cant even be described with words.. So heres some pictures:
BEHOLD THE WONDERS!!
tm-h-04035.jpg

tm-h-04040.jpg
P1010082.jpg
tm-h-04011.jpg

... now close your hood....

haha, i know i already thought of that problem. My last hood (before the whole "incident"- see trim/molding thread) had a hole in it to fit my WG, so i figured hey why not put a hole just big enough to pop the housing of a turbo through. But maybe it will close? i have no idea how they designed it, i just found it intriging.

Ok, ive settled on just getting a ramhorn as soon as i can save up the money. Any suggestions on brands?

I already settled on a Go-Autoworks Mini Ram manifold. They seem to have good rep, do good business, so i feel i can trust them and they are pretty affordable. The manifold im gonna get looks like this:
yhst-76804679891414_2046_17762751

Consider getting it coated to prevent rusting or changing of color? JET-HOT Coatings is where I got mine done. I have a ramhorn btw. dipped in sterling it looks reallllly nice; and should perform too.

When I ordered my manifold, I had the guy that made the manifold have it done. On the order form, that was the price listed.

I ordered the mani from a guy on here, feddc, who did a wonderful job by the way. Very heavy and sturdy piece. Can't wait to use it! lol

mani.jpg

Back