Manual to Automatic transmission swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tiffmd

I know, why would someone want to go from a manual to an automatic... I have a 1994 Honda Civic EX Coupe with a 1.6L V-TEC engine. It's currently a manual and I am a horrible stick driver. I love my car and don't want to get rid of it so was wondering if it's at all possible to swap a manual transmission for an automatic? Does it require a whole engine swap? If anyone can give me a breakdown of what would need to be done to do this I would really appreciate it. It doesn't have to be detailed, I won't be doing it myself, I just wanted a general idea. Thanks!

I'd say it would be the biggest pain in the ass, if you could even accomplish it. There are too many wires that have to run from the tcu to the shifters and to the transmission. My bet is that you would get it done and have so many problems you'd never see the end of it. Just running the list of parts through my head makes it seem ridiculous.

Your best bet, go practice driving a stick.

that's what I figured...

I figured it would probably be a pain. Know of any known problems with this model and the clutch. I've driven a clutch before and this one gives me more problems than any I've ever had. The best word I can think to describe it is 'loose'. We had a 93 Civic sedan and that clutch was so smooth and tight....I've taken mine in to be looked at and they have said it was fine. Is there something they could be missing that I should have them check for? I know every clutch is different, but this one just feels wrong. There's no perfect point where it shifts smoothly. I've owned the car for 2 years now and I've never found it in this car. There's just no middle ground between too much gas or it jerking cause you let off the gas to soon. It also shudders horribly when taking off, but only in 1st gear. 2nd - 5th are fine. That happens about 55% of the time....anybody have any ideas or similar problems that have been fixed? Thanks for the help!

I wouldn’t think you would need a new transmission. But a new clutch, rebuild of your clutch cylinder, rebuild or new slave cylinder, and make sure its all properly bled right, and you should have a nice strong clutch again. You could do a light flywheel at the same time if you want; it gives you a little extra hp.

And a free revving engine will make more power. I'm not saying its much, but my car certainly runs better.

There is alot of work invoulved in it! When you take the trans off where the trans is hucked up to the engine you have to take out the fly wheel and the clutch then you have to get it so it hucks up to a auto trans. Oh and you have to get different flywheel and different type of clutch for an auto. Auuto trans is stupid so you should learn how to drive stick some more. But if you do this, make sure you have someody next to you when you do the trans swap with you that knows alot about transmissions!!!!!!!!
OH AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back