Martial Arts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Shaolin is fun, hard, but fun, did i mention hard. Learning to be flexible sucks.

sweeet, your art is more a hard style then isnt it? ours really isnt considered hard/ or soft lol there is so much stuff mixed in it, its
Shaolin Chu'an
Shantung Black Tiger
Chi'ang Chu'an
Lohan Chu'an
White Crane
Tiger-Crane Kuen
Northern Leopard
Snake
Earth & Heavenly Dragon
Five(5) Animal Kuen
Tai Chi Chu'an
Chi Kung
30 different weapon systems

lol I had to copy that from the site there are too many too type... most of them are southern styles if u notice, the thing i like is the 30 weapons system... not too many other arts teach an entire 30 weapons.

Originally posted by Blanco+Nov 18 2003, 08:05 AM-->
Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Nov 18 2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Green92HatchDX@Nov 17 2003, 11:33 PM
rixXxceboy
@Nov 17 2003, 06:18 PM
<<<couple years each of Tang Soo Do (sister art of Tae Kwon Do) & American Goju (hawaiian art similar to japanese karate)

a buddy of mine does tang soo do... pretty interesting! :thumbsup:

cool! i studied under master dominick giacobbe.

What Federation?

NATSDF i think. i know that one day the federation leaders showed up at our dojo and our master ran out the back door, jumped in his vette and took off lol. rumor was he had awarded himself 4th dan, but i dont know if it s true. he used to do shows in atlantic city where he put motorcylce spokes through his arms and carried buckets of water with them. we also got hit with a bamboo stick while we were practicing blocks. sometimes he just hit us to show us what a block feels like. i didnt mind. i loved every minute of it.

cool. we used to spar every class too, but "light contact" only. i dont really know about all the federations and who's who and stuff. i remember that my sa bom nim (as we used to call him) supposedly trained in korea under the same instructor that chuck norris trained under. but thats all i remember. its been awhile since ive even thought about my martial arts training.

i love sparring this Go Ju Ryu karate is WAY more fun than TeaKwonDo sweeps and throws are legal y0 there is a brown belt in my class who is 6 time alaskan state champ, damn he is fun to sparr

5 years American Tae Kwon Do
3 years Boxing
3 years Ryukyu Kempo

Lifetime of learning when to walk away

I studied Capoeira for about a year in Tampa, FL but then moved back to NY and the schools around me sucked so I never picked up again...but now I am back in FL and plan on looking for a good school to continue....it's a very fun art to study...

I've studied Northern and Southern Shaolin Kung-fu for about 11 years now. More specifically the Mantis and Tiger-Crane styles. I've also studied Krav-Maga for 2 years. I've been looking for a school that does full-contact kick boxing in the Philadelphia area but it seems that not many are around that belong to a sanctioned federation or that goes to full-contact competitions. That and most of the gyms around are mostly boxing. Oh well, if you guys know of any - let me know! ;)

i've been practicing pissedofffighting. i sit on my ass and look funny, and bad guys run away

See, that's the shit i'm talking about maang. Open a school and they'll be throwing money at you hand over fist to learn an "original" art :lol:

Lifetime of learning when to walk away

One of the best damned comments I've heard so far. If that doesn't sum up an experienced martial artist's perception, I don't know what does.

Go Ju Ryu karate is WAY more fun than TeaKwonDo sweeps and throws are legal

I have to admit that our strict adherance to the origins of TKD wasn't all that fun, but we all had a blast when I took our team of full contact USTU fighters on the "open" MI circuit. The fighting was awesome, you might face anything from a Kung Fu student to a Bazilian Jiu Jitsu player. I miss the open tournaments :( . I've lost touch with most people from TKD but I do recall Doloris Johnson (sparring partner). Last time I heard she was in Germany on a fighter exchange program. Herb Perez (sparring partner at CO Olympic Training Center) he went on to make a few videos and the Olympics. Garth Cooley (opponent) at IN state tournament - 6 years in a row, went on to the Olympics too I beleive. All I remember about Garth is the last time I saw he had a set of videos out.

i have only two years in unarmed combat with the Canadian Forces and some knife fighting class. Oh plus all of my bayonet fighting drills.

Kickboxing - 4 years, K-1 international rules (low line & High line Kicks, and Knees).

I train 2 - 3 days a week and Spar (fight) on thursday nights w/headgear, shinpads, 18oz sparring gloves, and of course a CUP and mouthpiece.

I plan on taking up recreational boxing maybe in the future after I have broke 250 on my bench. Don't ask why then, its 1st things 1st.

Originally posted by Blanco@Nov 19 2003, 01:38 AM

Wow, 30 different weapons? Why would you even need that many? There's no possible way you can become proficient with all of them. My art always teaches picking a few moves and mastering those, while still learning the rest. In fact, we only have two weapons...the 3' and 6' bong. Soo Bahk Do literally translates into "Way of the Empty Hand" and it's our belief that a weapon can be taken and used against you. I love sharing the differences in the arts. :)

Well, its 30 weapons over the time you are in it lol. Basically u just learn to use them all, not get proficeint in any one os them, Shaolin is similar in we use a lot of open hand movements, tiger, snak, dragon, crane, leapord... those are the basics they teach, i mean the first year (which im still in) is all excorsize and very little fighting, you dont start sparring until orange sash which is about 5 or 6 years, but the sparring they do is actual sparing with the goal to knock someone out... its fun i really like it

Originally posted by Blanco+Nov 19 2003, 07:24 PM-->
Slammed89Integra
@Nov 19 2003, 07:21 PM
I plan on taking up recreational boxing maybe in the future after I have broke 250 on my bench. Don't ask why then, its 1st things 1st.

Strength actually has very little to do with power. Just felt like adding that. :)

Where are you at so far, though?

ohh ya i agree with u on this. shaolin we work our tendons more than our muscles, power come from within, its how your Qi flows and how well you can communicate to your muscles and tendons, i mean if all you do is bench, your just gonna be able to punch strait out, do more circular excorsizes where you move a lot of joints and tendons, that is where speed and power come from, you want a good balance with all of them. it is said, First: Bravery Second: Power Third: GongFu

these must be in balance, because even if your have the speed and power, if you are afraid to use them, you cannot manifest them and use them all together... I dunno, lol its all confusing...

Back