martial arts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

Hey guys I'm finishing my lacrosse season in a couple weeks and i want to pick up a new martail arts forum... when i was much younger i used to do some karate shit, but now im looking for something more useful and intense. Im 17, 5'10.5 and around 140 pounds.

what forms should i look at?

are tehre any sites where i can locate places?

I was thinking brazilian jui jitsu or gracie, but am open to sugesstions

i want something realstic and good for real life use

then dont do tae kwan do or muai tai (or whatever its called) they are some of the most useless martial arts to use in the real world, they are only really good for fighting in a ring.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@May 8 2005, 09:30 PM
then dont do tae kwan do or muai tai (or whatever its called) they are some of the most useless martial arts to use in the real world, they are only really good for fighting in a ring.
[post=496738]Quoted post[/post]​

my boss is training in muay thai, he's going to be fighting in the ufc sometime this year. anyway, he's a freaking animal, and that is far from useless in the real world, it's alot of knees and elbows. so i'd say go with it.

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com

I love the style and it covers pretty much anything and everything.

punchs, kicks, take downs, grapples, chokes, breaks.....

Only problem would be finding a teacher in your area.

Eh, depends on your goals and whats avalable to you. Judo is a pretty common martial art/sport, but implicit within the sport aspect is that it isnt necessarially combat oriented, although with slight modification it can be very effective. Any sort of Ju-jutsu is effective, though from what i've heard I prefer Danzan-ryu, as it incoprerates things like escrima and knife fighting. Not a fan of Gracie style, though that is more due to my personal dislike of the Gracie family. Uechi-ryu karate is something i also also have some experience with, it seems like it would be very effective in a combat situation.

i took 9yrs of TKD, good workout, but not the best real world application.

i highly recommend either Judo or Aikido.

Judo = Sweeps and throws
Aikido = Joint Locks.

Krav Maga, my brother takes it, it's brutal. Not really a martial art, but a self defense course with an emphasis on destroying your opponents ability to continue living.

kenpo
aikido

ftw ;)

emphasis on destroying your opponents ability to continue living.

thats leet

imalready in pretty damn good shape; but i just want to learn how to fight.

any websites i can use to locate a school near me?

Originally posted by Blanco@May 9 2005, 08:04 AM
Krav Maga is insanely effective. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going into armed security work, though.
[post=496856]Quoted post[/post]​

Why not? I mean yea, it is for nothing other than disabling opponents, but like you said, it's real effective, and nice and basic.

Originally posted by FFCiv@May 9 2005, 05:59 AM

[post=496877]Quoted post[/post]​

why not :boxing:

I've found that TKD was very effective in real life applications. Granted that it is primarily kicks, and you hardly ever use kicks in a real fight, there was still a lot that I had learned in the 5 years that I studied. I don't know about your area, but I've found that many of the TKD do-jangs around here only influence the sport aspect of it. Maybe I was just fortunate to have better instruction, but they also inorporated many other things into the teaching of TKD. Aikido is very effective in a real fight, however it lacks the brutality I think you are looking for. If you want to know how to use an opponent's momentum against himself, study Aikido. If you want to learn how to fuck shit up, then look into something else. Krav Maga sounds like something a bit too dangerous for someone who just wants to learn how to fight. Tang Soo Do would seem like a good choice as well.

My vote is for Wing Chun....an ancient, but not forgotten, form of Kung Fu. There should be some underground places around you, or someone trained who could be your Sifu. It was designed to train soldiers in ancient Asia to become destroyers in the least amount of time possible. It has the brutality factor, but is also disiplinary and educational.
Wing Chun was one of two fighting styles that Bruce Lee combined to make his own style, Jeet Kun Do.

Do a google search for Wing Chun, or Yip Man....the man who brought Wing Chun to the rest of the world.

Plus....... have you ever seen a Wing Chun Dummy before? You know, that big vertical log with the two wood arms? Thats Wing Chun. Jackie Chan's style reflects Wing Chun as well.

It's all about close combat. Disabling your opponent's punches and kicks before they even get a chance to throw them. It's also about speed before power. A simple philosophy of Wing chun is: Why throw one easily deflected strong punch, when you can throw five in the same time? An intermidiate Wing Chun Student should be able to punch (really hard), 3-4 times per second.

I dunno, I'm rambling....check it out. I took it for about 3 months.....awesome, but they wanted me to quit smoking and drinking and shit....I was 18.....ummm no thanks...lol.

call the biggest football player in your school a homo and then hold your own :)

you'll learn how to fight for the sake of your life.. lol

but in all seriousness, i would go see Mr. Miagi. that guy knows his shit :)

website? i doubt half the places have one. the phone boook would be your best bet i think

I dont know much about this kinda thing. But if I was going to get into it I would want a style that went into ground fighting tactics. If you can get somone on the ground chances are they wont know whats goin on and its all over.

Originally posted by Blanco+May 9 2005, 03:17 PM-->
Originally posted by FFCiv@May 9 2005, 05:59 AM

[post=496877]Quoted post[/post]​

If you just want to learn how to fight, learn boxing. Learning a martial art IS NOT about learning how to fight. Martial arts are about self defense and growing as an individual. If you want to learn how to focus your mind, body, and spirit as one, study a martial art. There's a school locator at the link I provided earlier.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 9 2005, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Blanco@May 9 2005, 08:04 AM
Krav Maga is insanely effective. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going into armed security work, though.
[post=496856]Quoted post[/post]​

Why not? I mean yea, it is for nothing other than disabling opponents, but like you said, it's real effective, and nice and basic.
[post=496885]Quoted post[/post]​

Callidus
@May 9 2005, 07:40 AM
Krav Maga sounds like something a bit too dangerous for someone who just wants to learn how to fight.
[post=496901]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I feel that it's just too dangerous for 99% of American civillians. It doesn't teach the philosophy of use like a traditional martial art, instead it only teaches the physical. Imagine someone with a short temper, and possibly drunk, with Krav Maga skills. A trained martial artist will, more likely than not, just walk away from the fight. Someone who was only trained to fight will jump right in and abuse their skills.
[post=497046]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont want to box because i want to learn ground skills as thats where 90 percent of fights end up

Originally posted by jeffie7@May 8 2005, 10:16 PM
http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com

I love the style and it covers pretty much anything and everything.

punchs, kicks, take downs, grapples, chokes, breaks.....

Only problem would be finding a teacher in your area.
[post=496753]Quoted post[/post]​

CT Stratford 06614 Sa Bom Nim Catherine Minichino CT Moo Duk Kwan & Fitness,LLC (203) 375-4556 anthony.minichino@snet.net
CT Stamford 06903 Kyo Sa Nim Laurie Martin-Borsey Not available
CT Milford 06460 Sa Bom Nim Joseph Amico jpamico@prodigy.net
CT New Milford 06776 Sa Bom Nim Eui-Sun Choi Korean Martial Arts Academy (914) 454-8083 Not available
CT Norwalk 06851 Sa Bom Nim Louis Rotelli Norwalk Soo Bahk Do (203) 846-0415 LRotelli@bardenbearings.com

ediT:
Im pretty sure I want to take BJJ... how can i locate a place

Back