1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martial Arts.

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Celerity, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Hasn't there been philosophy and argument about different styles for like.. millenia ?

Are you saying that your techniques are the only / best / superior to all ?

2. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

yup if there was any definite awnser to all of these there would only be one martial art

3. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

The answers are you're a feeble minded fool.

4. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

either that, or it will get you into trouble because your gradeous ego will eventually be your down fall. No one fights by the rules of combat. Its winning for winnings sake. I saw a fight the other day (at work out) and it blew my mind. One of the best fighters at the gym (meaning really strong in most areas) took an open challenge from this dude that had been training with us for maybe 3 or 4 weeks. The match started with a few jabs to judge reach from both sides. Like kicks from my buddy john (the dude i actually know) and on the third leg kick this dude goes into jet li mode (you dont see kung fu at the gym very often, but it ended up paying off for this guy). On the third leg kick home boy switched stances swung for the head with his right leg (because now he has switched from left handed to right handed) and after the missed kick, he came back the other direction with his right leg and brought john down with his head between his leg. It was the craziest thing id ever seen in person, and it wouldnt have happened if john had JUST dodged instead of trying to counter the kick (cause he basically leaned into the take down). Needless to say. Once John was on the ground the match was over. Rear mount (nastiest term ever) and he tapped after the third hit to the side of the head.

i look forward to reading all the replies to this thread. happy posting.

5. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

7) Jesus

There you go you Uncle-fucker.

6. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

i just drop bows on em!!!

THROW DEM BOWS!!!

kidding. dont shit on the thread just because Blanco started it or you dont agree with one tiny little thing he has to say. Get over yourselves people.

My brother is a.... something (one below black) in tae kwan do. He would beat my ass all the time, granted he was bigger, but he would block and throw fast. People who are trained in martial arts are nothing to fuck with. People who think arts are useless on the street have obviously never tried or tried to fight someone who was trained.

7. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

2nd part:
    1. center of their palm?
    2.stick it in the nerve on the inside of the upper arm, between bicep and tricep
    3.stay on your feet
    4.by using #1 plus a foot maybe? we learned some shit like this in boot camp but i cant remember
    5.not sure. step back and pull away?

8. reikoshea

9. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

nice part about living in pa is concealed carriers permits are easy to get 45 cal trumps all

10. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Yeah, this thread loses.

Sorry. Try again.

11. formby

formby learning in progress

First, physical weapons.
    1) You have 8-10 different weapons on your hand, depending on art, what are they and what techniques might they relate to?palm, fst 2 knukcles, knife palm, fist ...
    2) There are six weapons on the foot, what are they and what techinques do they relate to? ball , heel top part of foot
    3) What is the proper way to throw a front kick and what is the weapon? like if you needed to tie you shoe laces on a wall, the ball of your feet
    4) What is the proper chambered position for a round(house) kick and what angle should that be in comparison to the floor? twisting on ball of feet,open hip , and an angle achieved by flexibility of individual
    5) Staying with the round kick, you have three weapon options, what are they, what target could you each on, and why?heel, ball,top of foot, head, body, legs
    6) Can you describe the push/pull action of punching and what it's purpose is? you mean the twisting of the punch and the follow through? to maximize effect
    7) What is the source of power (this one should be a gimme)? weight

Any martial artist worth their salt understands joint manipulation, even if they don't grapple.
    1) If you want to control somebody's wrist, where do you grab? (even a lot of cops get this one wrong) not palm. reverse side
    2) How do you control an entire arm with your thumb?grip like above and you twist toward back, in order to lock joints to shoulder
    3) Is it more effective to go down on the ground for an armbar (in a street fight) or to control the wrist, elbow, and shoulder with minimal effort from your hands while still on your feet?2nd part
    4) How would one accomplish that? by doing above stated actions
    5) Someone bigger and/or stronger than you grabs your wrist/forearm, how do you escape? (no striking of any kind allowed for this one, including pressure points.) twist towards thumb in round action the thumb will release

gotta go sleepy...
    btw made red belt in tkd by the 9th grade i'm 25 on wed... been a while
    [​IMG]

answers were of the top of my head

12. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

well yea, thats what i meant, grab w/ fingers on palm, thumb/s on back of hand, bend palm towards forearm

13. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

I'd kick all yalls asses

14. reikoshea

more than likely. i suck at all out fighting. I can box extremely well, but when it comes to all around fighting ability, if take downs are allowed and (in some cases) if kicks are allowed, im a wuss.

Its really kinda sad to tell the truth. If i get into a fight, i either HAVE to get the first hit, or some how keep it to just a plain fist fight....other wise im pretty well screwed. I just dont have the actual experience to keep up in a full arsenal fight. gimmie time though. ive been training like crazy, and eventually my leg work and ground work will catch up to my hands.

15. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

I really enjoy working with close range fighting, from shoulder bumps to bicep bumps. I love it all. plus you can easily go into a choke, take down, or throw. fun stuff =)

Most people can't fight close up because they can't get off a punch, if someone punches with a round house (wide punch) you can cover with the hand thats closest to the punching arm, step up into the pocket and nail the guy in the side of the neck with your other arms bicep. very easy, and super fast! I love it =) not the best option but super fun and unless the other person knows what they're getting into you can catch people off guard with it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  16. smarty009

smarty009 Senior Member

yea...ill go ahead and tell you the only one i knew was number 3 on the second set...which is the latter part of the question...

to be honest...like ive stated before...i dont think too much about these types of questions when im in a real fight...everything i do is on instinct...so what is the point? i guess the more practice you do with martial arts, the more it will become instinct? i like to box as well...but if the fight turns into a grapple and holds and such...i go for the sleeper...it works everytime for me...what is a good counter for me to expect when im doing the sleeper...i havent ever really had any good opponents...so tell me what you would do if you were put in the sleeper...

17. smarty009

smarty009 Senior Member

but i wrap my legs around my opponent as well and put pressure on the ribs...i prefer doing this on the ground...but there have been times i did it while the person was standing...ive had someone just fall back on me...but i kept my grip even though it just about knocked the breath out of me...lol...

18. Black Widow g2

Black Widow g2 *princess*

After reading the questions and the answers I learned a bit about when I studied Aikido. The basic principles are the same, but the idea of 'combat' doesn't really exist in Aikido. It's appealing to those of us who are smaller than those who potentially attack us, as we are able to use their own force against them. The part about the joint locks was very familiar.

Don't really have much to input after reading the answers, but it made me think back to when I was practicing and how I could have used that. In Aikido, less is more. It's hard to learn not to be forceful.

19. smarty009

smarty009 Senior Member

are you sure poking me in the eye would be that easy? sometimes i have one of my arms going under my opponents armpit...to make that one arm stick straight up in the air...and put my head to that side...im just trying to see all scenarios...although the poking in the eye could happen...ill have to be aware of that...

20. Black Widow g2

Black Widow g2 *princess*

But kicking them behind the knee is...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted