Massive Loss of power at end of 3rd, help needed!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AznTwins

Here is a little info before I go into detail:
The car is a 1997 Honda Civic DX with an OBD-2 GSR swap, i/h/e/ are the only mods

The problem: Under full throttle with vtec engaged the car feels a little sluggish in 1st and gets a little bit better in 2nd gear, and continues all the way until it gets to the top of 3rd gear, and all the sudden it just completely loses all power and the rpm's begin to fall. Every time at the end of 3rd, 4th and 5th gear is reached, a vtec malfunction code pops up every time.

What could this be? I forgot to mention that the car has a slightly leaky headgasket, so it made me think that it was having an oil pressure problem, but I don't know why the vtec error code would only pop up at the top of 3rd gear.

Also someone from another forum said it could be a faulty speed sensor (vss) and I changed it out and i still get the same problem.

If anyone has any clues or any information at all, please let me know. Thanks

fix your headgasket and if you still have problems come and ask.
Driving around with a "slightly leaky" headgasket is a big gamble.

Seriously, don't mash on it while you have anything wrong with your head gasket. Switch it out for a nice metal aftermarket piece and then get back to us.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jan 13 2005, 02:05 PM
do you have a chip in your ecu?
[post=445191]Quoted post[/post]​

No I do not have a chipped ecu.

thanks for all the help, does anyone else have any other idea what it could be?

What the fuck is wrong with you? That's like saying 'My driver side axle is always popping, and now my car won't go anywhere when I drive it. I think something's wrong with my transmission. Anyone know what the problem could be? Oh, I forgot to mention, the driver's side axle broke in half at the CV joint, but other than this does anyone know what the problem could be?'

Jesus Cracksmoking Christ! Common sense, man...common sense!!!

:doh:

Ok i replaced the headgasket, and the car is a little better than it was before i fixed the head gasket problem, but v-tec still feels really weak from mid 3rd gear to the top of 3rd gear and into 4th gear (seems like it takes forever to redline 3rd gear). and afterwards i get a p1259 code. I checked/cleanned the v-tec sol to make sure it wasnt dirty and it wasnt. Anybody have any idea what the problem would be?

alright maybe i'm wrong but i had the same symptoms. I got the cam seals replaced so they had to reset the timing. I went out of the shop and floored it. My rpm's didn't kick as hard as they normally do and my exhaust seemed to sound like it was stopped up or something. Any way i took it back and told them that something was wrong.
They had to re-adjust the timing. They said something like like exhaust timing or something..i couln't understand very well cuz they were talking rasta. :clown2:

Back