Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think my dad and I are going to fabricate all the braces. My dads really good at that sort of thing and he has already come up with a design for a traction bar. He thought he was making some sort of spot for me to jack it up on besides the core support, and it ended up being a traction bar. :)

More Updates.

Core Support is off, engine bay cleared (for the most part) degreasing in progress.
IMAGE_00022.jpg

Another shot of the engine bay.
IMAGE_00023.jpg

Interior getting stripped, I'm going to be dying the carpet black and hiding alot of wiring.
IMAGE_00024.jpg

Another shot of the interior. Not too shabby for 170,000 miles. I found $4.16 in change in here lol.
IMAGE_00026.jpg

Thats it for now! I'm sure I'll have more pics tonight.

$4.16? damn you can officially put that as the first gallon of gas into this motor. But either way nice car good progress. Can't wait to see this thing finished.

Haha yeah I may get a gallon, depending on how long it takes me to get the thing finished. If I get it done by summer it may not even get me a gallon ^.^

Anyway, well im glad there's at least one person following my thread lol.

I followed it early on and just found it again. Nice work. I need a project to take up my free time so I don't go insane.

^ Nice :)

Yeah, this has definately kept me out of trouble lately, I've been workin on it non stop and when I'm not working on it I'm looking for parts. Lots of little things that had to be fixed, been making lots of trips to Honda and the junkard to find stock pieces that were broken. Even got a cut off of a civic today, part of the framerail. The end of mine was all gunked up so I used some pieces to fix it. Ill post pics tomorrow.

OEM Bearings ordered. Some body/frame work done last night, new piece ready to go on as soon as my dad and I make an extension cord for the welder. As of right now the 220 outlet is too far away from the car, the welder wont reach. As soon as thats done, its time to tack the new core support on and start aligning things.

Pics tonight!

I'm definately following this thread. I am excited to see the end results. I always like to see what my "piers" are building. lol hey is it true some b16 trannys have the lsd as well? I had heard it was only the type-r but someone mentioned it with a b16 tranny.

Thanks for following :). Lots of hard work going into this thing. Doin it on my own, too! My dad is there if I say "Hey, can you hold this clamp in place?" Or somethin like that, but he is too busy with other things to help me as much as he has in the past.

Yes, some B16 tranny's come with factory LSD. Both cable and hydro.

Updates!
Yes, I know there is updates nearly every night, but I'm making alot of progress (or at least I feel that way.) Anyway, on to the pics!

New core support is in place and tacked to the frame. Man, it looks so much better. No more bent up spots and things line up the way they should.
IMAGE_00028.jpg

This next pic was a huge problem spot for me. When I first got the car, I smashed into a tree. The tree came right in between the headlight and the grill. It bent the end of the framerail and it really was a pain in the arse to get it back to shape. It's not by any means perfect, but things line up how they should and thats what I wanted. Here's a pic of how it looks now, with the core support tacked up.
IMAGE_00029.jpg

And one last pic. Everything sits level, I love it.
A tip for those who are working on changing a core support or plan on doing it in the future: Get everything as level as possible on jackstands or a lift. Also, when putting the new core support on, tack things together first, then hang the body panels and headlights and such to make sure its right. Then go back and do the spot welds.
IMAGE_00030.jpg

Thanks for looking! More updates to come, as usual.

I was wondering about that lsd because a buddy of mine bought a civic hatch with a crv/vtec in it but it has the b16 tranny and I was telling him to replace it with one with the lsd. Which is probably better for him because whoever did the swap did not know what they were doing at all. Well dang, maybe I should do a b-series swap in my civic. hmmmm....its a thought. By the way the core support looks way better than it did to begin with!

^ Thanks man, and the pictures really don't do it justice. The old one was simply disgusting, twisted in ways that metal should not be twisted.

Anyway, yeah an LSD is something I'd definately recommend with a B-series swap.

for sure he actually listened to me when it came to that so he is lookin for a type-r tranny he can go through replace all the gaskets and what not on, then he will throw it in the car when he pulls the motor to put his forged pistons, and rods, and crank in. All I know is both you guys' cars will be beasts. I still insist on rockin the sohc vtec d-series lol But yeah got any plans for boost?

for sure he actually listened to me when it came to that so he is lookin for a type-r tranny he can go through replace all the gaskets and what not on, then he will throw it in the car when he pulls the motor to put his forged pistons, and rods, and crank in. All I know is both you guys' cars will be beasts. I still insist on rockin the sohc vtec d-series lol But yeah got any plans for boost?

Yes, plans for boost. I have most of the parts lying around the shop.

New pistons/rods (JE and Eagle), ARP hardware, T3/T4, shooting for at least 300 whp.

More updates! Tonight's focus was mocking the car up to make sure the core support was in the proper place.

These pics are after several hours of grinding off tack welds and adjusting the position of the core support. It lines up nice now and I LOVE this front end.

car3.jpg

car2.jpg

car.jpg

MMM FRONT MOUNT GOODNESS!

Thanks for looking.

wow I am dense. its says that right in your signature. lol But 300 horses in a hatch should be pretty fast. Car is looking mighty fine bro. I love that intercooler in there.

wow I am dense. its says that right in your signature. lol But 300 horses in a hatch should be pretty fast. Car is looking mighty fine bro. I love that intercooler in there.

Its all good man, sometimes people dont update their sigs for years.

Thanks man, its taken alot of work to get it to this point.

Hey Matt, why didn't you swap a k20 in there? You can up to 500whp with stock internals on those. And yea a 2.0 is always better than a 1.8.

Hey Matt, why didn't you swap a k20 in there? You can up to 500whp with stock internals on those. And yea a 2.0 is always better than a 1.8.

Yeah, but they also cost 2-3 times as much, and 500 horses is kind of impractical on a street-driven FWD car, wouldn't you say?

Back