Max Boost For This Turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCIVICTN

Lost in a sea of rednecks
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this turbo. It is a Turbonetics T3/T04E Stage 2 .48 A/R, 50 trim, 47 lbs/min. What kind of power can be made from a built, tuned, GSR at what boost pressure before it starts becoming less efficient and starts pushing really hot air into the engine? Please answer if you know and not if your buddy's-girlfriend's-neighbor says that his is pushing 45 psi and making 900 horsepower. :huh: I can stab in the dark. I know someone has experience with this common turbo. Let me know. Thanks.

I have that turbo except with a T04B cover, stage 3 wheel and a .63 a/r housing. Car's happy running 20 daily and 26-28 if I actually want to be fast, although it has some surge issues running that much boost.

4G63, and at 20 psi it's making 40 lbs/min airflow which is roughly 400 crank hp using bench racing math. I've recently switched back to my old engine management system and thus lost the fuel maps that the last guy tuned this car to. Incidentally, I also haven't put a boost controller in or bothered to shim the wastegate so I can't really tell you what kind of airflow it'll make at higher boost, although I suspect it's around 50 just like the last guy had.

It's a 4G63 on a 1998 Eclipse GSX. Engine is a 2.3 liter stroker with a 100mm crank and stroker pistons running 8.8:1, Wiseco pistons and Manley H-beam rods etc etc.

I see. Does anyone know anything about this turbo on a GSR? Let's just say for the sake of conversation that the engine will not limit this turbo's potential, but only the turbo itself will do that?

Ouch. I was afraid of hearing something like that. Dead at 7K? Would it really be that extreme, Sol?
Keep in mind that this is for an 1/8 of a mile. Max power doesn't mean as much to me as quick acceleration. What would be the best turbo for 1/8 mile times.

I'm feeling sick right now. Please help me.

Last edited:
the gsr motor is FAR more efficient than the 4g63, mainly due to compression ratio and th gsr's superior head flow.

1/8th mile or not, you're still going to hit a brick wall at the top of 2nd and 3rd when the turbo falls flat on its face.

if it's in your budget, i'd highly recommend this turbo in the 63 turbine houseing variety
Full-Race Motorsports LLC "Everything Else is Half Fast"

The Turbonetics T3/T04B Super-H (with ceramic ball bearings) is almost identical to the Garrett one you suggested. It is also a .63 turbine housing. Do you feel like Garrett is superior to Turbonetics?
Buying two turbos was never in my budget, but I can afford to buy either now. With either one of them, would the 35mm Turbonetics Evolution wastegate work well or do I have to buy more parts?
*Feeling my wallet getting lighter*

I appreciate your help Sol.

on paper, it has similar specs.
in the real world, the one i linked is twice the turbo.

you'll hit full boost probably 1500rpms SOONER with the garrett and will hold all the way past redline.

I have no experience with the evo gate.
I highly recommend Tial products. the Tial 38mm is more than enough (35/38 use the same flange)

B, with the better flowing GSR head wouldn't it make more sense to go with something larger, like a 35R/3082 hybrid or at least the 3076?

The Turbonetics piece you linked to is not a ball bearing turbo, although there was a link at the bottom of the page to a very similar one with "ceramic ball bearings". The fact of the matter is, those turbos still use a thrust bearing and aren't true dual ball bearing turbos with the better transient spool. The only thing Turbonetics makes that's comprable to the Garrett GT-##R series turbos are their new GT-K series, which cost way more than the Garrett versions.

So, the turbo B linked you to is what you're looking for. If you're willing to be slightly slower, the standard bearing version of the turbo you were looking at sells for nearly half a GT30R.

i based my choice off of the turbos he posted... assuming thats the range he wants to stay in.

as far as i'm concernred, if its built, throw at gt40R on it :D

You missed the part about finding a turbo "like" that one with ceramic ball bearings for $420 more. Here it is: eBay Motors: NEW Turbonetics T3/T04B SUPER-H CERAMIC BALL BEARING (item 190129562805 end time Jul-13-07 00:33:53 PDT). Why would the Garrett spool 1500 rpms earlier if all the specs are the same and the Turbonetics has ball bearings also? I know Garrett is a big name and has been around a long time, but I thought Turbonetics was making a name for themselves, also. I just want to be 100% happy with my next turbo purchase. Definitely didn't budget 3 turbo purchases.

i'm turned off from that turbo for one reason... it has the hard to find 5 bolt flange.
turbonetics_hybrid_turbo.JPG

Hmmm...I'll take that under consideration. Is that it's only disadvantage? If so, it's a toss-up in my eyes.
Decisions, decisions.:confused:

Back