Max Boost For This Turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5 bolt flanges do not flow as well as the 4 bolt flange IIRC. If you read the description of the Turbonetics "ball bearing" turbo, it says that in this case they are used to strengthen the thrust bearing. A true dual ball bearing turbo has a floating CHRA. This all just means that that is not a true Garrett GT series competitor.

The Garrett may not spool 1500 RPM earlier, but on general the initial spool up is "only" 10%, 15% at most quicker. The biggest difference is spool recovery between shifts--a dual ball bearing turbo is really amazing.

I see. When I read this "Equally important is the unique use of a single ball bearing instead of two - the decision to retain a conventional shaft bearing on the turbine end was made as a result of computerized model analysis of the high-speed rotordynamics of the rotating turbocharger.By retaining the bushing-style turbine-end bearing, it acts as a shock absorber and dampens the critical frequencies that typically plague dual-bearing designs used by other manufacturers. As a result, only turbochargers equipped with the TURBONETICS Ceramic Ball-Bearing design have no destructive critical frequencies over their full operating range! No other ball-bearing design can make this claim! Faster response, extreme durability, and unsurpassed quality all combine to make the TURBONETICS Ceramic Ball-Bearing concept the standard of excellence for the ultimate in high-performance turbocharging!", I got something else from it. It seems to claim that they intentionally used a ball bearing on the compressor side and a bushing on the turbine side to "(act) as a shock absorber and (dampen) the critical frequencies that typically plague dual-bearing designs...". Sounds like Turbonetics did their research and found that this design was better.
What's a floating CHRA?

It's all marketing--the most that single ball bearing will help with is to possibly increase the life of the turbo by a little, which shouldn't be a problem unless you keep causing it to surge or some other idiocy.

As an aside, I just found out that the GT-K series are still a single ball bearing turbos.

Dual ball bearings are in fact the newest technology, and they aren't exactly weak either. Without the need for a thrust bearing, the biggest thing to worry about is having the correct size filter/restrictor in the oil feed line and not doing anything stupid such as surging the turbo because it "sounds cool". Trust me when I say you're not gaining much for the cost of that Turbonetics turbo, especially for the huge increase in price which puts you in Garrett GT range anyways.

In the end, unless you've got an extra 500-700 dollars laying around and really want those extra tenths, I'd go with a standard 360 degree thrust bearing turbo and save a lot of money.

I suppose I'll call Full-Race and see what they suggest. Maybe they'll sell me on the one Sol suggested, but if it isn't much of a difference, maybe I get a 360 thrust and put the money saved towards a better manifold and exhaust.
Thanks for the input.

Well I have the turbonetics t3/t04B h-trim .63 ar on my girls B16 EG8 and its alright! Although I had it for about a year now and I think it starting to leak oil! My boy has a t3/t04e turbonetics turbo on his dc2 and its also starting to leak too! I was told turbonetics are known for this, So I suggest you get a garrett because I have one on my crx for 2 yrs. now and its been doin fine :)! Other than the oil leaks thats a pretty good size turbo for a daily driver! depending on your build I think it will push out more than enough but if you want more get a bigger turbo!

Last edited:
Things just keep getting more and more lovely. I called Full-Race today and was ordering the GT3071, spent about 15 minutes on the phone with the guy talking about different sizes, flanges, etc. and had finally decided on the .63 A/R with the 3" discharge with a v-band style flange and 4" inlet on the compressor with 2.5" discharge. He said that he can generally get them within a week and said he would call his supplier to make sure. I waited on hold for a couple of minutes only to get bad news. He said the center section for the GT3 series was on national backorder. Said it could be up to 2 months before he could get one. :mad:I can't wait 2 months.
This sucks.
My second choice was the T3/T04B Super-H, but now Ghettocrx is telling me all this crap about Turbonetics being known for leaking oil.
This sucks, also.
Anyone else know what would be a good third choice? I was kinda sold on the ball bearing turbos, but now I think I would settle for a less expensive, laggier(is this a word?), less durable bushing type turbo. Any good input would be appreciated.:confused:

A 360* thrust bearing will be your best bet then, make sure you mention that and don't settle for a "standard" or a "270*" thrust bearing.

A 360* thrust bearing will be your best bet then, make sure you mention that and don't settle for a "standard" or a "270*" thrust bearing.
:werd: get a 360 bearing

Not to discourage turbonetics, I'm just speaking from my experience with it but you can always get another brand like Garrett, Precision, or so! Plus I believe turbonetics is a bit more expensive!

Ah. But you did discourage me from Turbonetics. Does anyone have anything positive to say about them? I guess I'll look for a Garrett w/ a 360 thrust bearing. I know that they are better. I was really sold on the ball bearing's responsiveness.

try to find a shop that has one in stock. theres a good chance that not everyone is sold out of their inventory....

also, the 71R is internally gated... keep that in mind.
id go for the 76 personally.
same shit, just external gate.

see if peakboost has it in stock
Garrett GT3076R

B, the 3076 is physically a bigger turbo.

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog
"57mm inducer, 76.2mm exducer, 56trim, .60 a/r"

versus

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog
"53.1mm inducer, 71mm exducer, 56 trim, .50 a/r"

You're right though in that the 3076 has the option from Garrett to ship with their GT-series housing built for an external gate, but I don't see why any turbo reseller wouldn't be able to either weld up the internal gate of the 3071 for you so you could run an external off the manifold collector/1st runner/whatever, or get the 3076 turbine housing and stick that on the 3071.

The CHRAs are either identical or very similar, they're all 700177-X where X is different between the 3076 and multiple 3071 variants.

350 is the most..but u will need about 15-20psi and up to get there depending on your setup

350 is the most..but u will need about 15-20psi and up to get there depending on your setup
Ummm...what?
Are you answering the original question? I'm WAY past that now. Did you look at the turbo I bought? That turbo will make 350 without even trying. My block will go before I run out of power from that thing.

Back