Max Boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gen2Teg

just need some advice, asked some friends but i wanna get as many opinions as i can. Whats the max boost (in your opinion) that a stock JDM B20 with a comeitc 85mm head gasket, Zdyne ECU, ZDyne injectors, and probably AEM fuel rail and pressure regulator and some sort of fuel pump. Now all that but with a B16 or GSR head on it, everything else the same. Just need some opinions on what it can hold, thanks guys.

Fuel tuning is good however, w/o actual reinforcement in the block, you shouldn't go over 8psi. Get sleeves or post it and then turn the boost up to 15 :)

i've seen stock internals with barely any fuel tunning boosting at 8-10psi. At the most i was thinking 12psi, but with REALY proper tunning. Im not planning on going over 8psi though, just checking in with everyone to make sure though.

85mm gasket? are you bored/sleeved to 85mm? if not, thats a big no-no

b20 cylinder walls are weak so you best be getting that block sleeved.
darton sleeves good up to 50psi, thats where my spare b16 block is goin.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 12 2003, 12:54 PM
10-12psi easy. 14psi in reality. and 16psi if you know what youre doin.

10-12 is probably pushin it just alittle, and 16psi? oh fuck no, not if the block isn't sleeved.

B20s are fairly weak. Without the proper tuning I wouldn't touch past 12 psi.

My bro's B16 (stock bottom end) has run on 18psi for a year now. I feel like I say that all the time. I think I'm done now. But Talbert (check the signature) has a Dart block. I'll will vouch for their excellence.

He actually ran 16 psi for maybe a month. It created 332 at the wheels. He hasn't increased his E.T. whatsoever. He really needs an LSD. 12.5 @ 119 (open-diff. and full interior)

Setup: Turbonetics T3/T4, Spearco intercooler (medium-sized maybe), TiAL wastegate, Greddy blowoff valve, stock intake manifold, not sure what exhaust manifold, MSD Ignition, A'PEXi S-AFC, stock camshafts.

If you want more info just ask. I'll have to double-check on the stuff.

ERL is forging some blocks for Dynamic and two other east coast shops. These are the same blocks that Gary Gardella utilizes. My brother is receiving a built bottom end from them and ACT is distributing two prototype drag clutches next year for my brother (he's got the 6-puck unsprung ACT now) and Talbert. My brother is headed for 500 hp. He's also looking for a Quaife limited-slip. And a stand-alone fuel system.

thats pretty much the same set up I have

turbonetics t3/t4, spearco fmic, tial 38mm wastegate, dsm 1st gen bov. v-afc II, an equal length turbo manifold and a lot more things I could list but I doubt you'd want to take the time to read them all.

Nice. Is this the first time you've had the turbo or are you rebuilding? Have you gone to the dyno yet? Or the track? How much boost are you looking for?

My brother just doesn't get the traction. Once he starts snapping axles he'll be hooking up good.

if he snaps axels, its because of his slicks, wheel hop issues, or improper ride height. stock axels will hold 400 whp on street tires relativley fine. its the slicks and inital launch with no give that gets to them.

judging a car by when it starts to snap axels, is frankly, retarded.

But he is running slicks. His 60' is a 2.0 seconds. That's freaking horrible whenever you've got 232 lb-ft of torque and 350 hp. I'm sure it takes a bit to build the 18 psi of boost but he launches at like 6800. He's launched lower but it hasn't helped at all. He uses two-step.

His car doesn't get wheelhop at all. I can assure you of that. And his car is lowered maybe 1.5 to 2 inches from stock.

2.0 on slicks is horible for a 100 whp car... let alone a 350 whp car.

he should be blasting 1.7's - 1.8's no problem

Originally posted by BrahmaBullSQ@Dec 12 2003, 10:56 PM
Nice. Is this the first time you've had the turbo or are you rebuilding? Have you gone to the dyno yet? Or the track? How much boost are you looking for?

My brother just doesn't get the traction. Once he starts snapping axles he'll be hooking up good.

yeah this will be the first time i've ventured into forced induction myself. I've been wanting to turbo my car for quite sometime but just never got around to it, that and I didn't have extra money laying around until a couple months ago and I've been building up my kit ever since. my best time b16 I/E was 15.5, never took the ls/vtec to the track since one of the cylinder walls was cracked down to the piston. I plan to play it safe for a while with 6psi. after I get my other blocked sleeved I'll turn the boost up to 12 or 14psi. I'll be happy with 300-350 whp when I'm done

pissedoffsol - So you think the Quaife will drop it to 1.8 seconds???

NotUrAverage_Si - That's cool. I'm not the biggest fan of sleeving the blocks... I'd rather go with a forged solid-deck block. But If you sleeve it you can exceed 14 psi easy if you wished. So you shouldn't have any problem at all. Are you doing the tuning or are you letting a local shop do that??? 15.5 isn't bad. SIs run 15.8 stock I believe.
I drove my brother's car on Thanksgiving Day for the first time... I entered onto the highway headed to my uncle's for the day and he let me stomp down on the throttle a bit in third gear. The turbo began spooling and then out of nowhere the VTEC just went and it just pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and...... :D You'll like your engine alot when it's done. Have fun with it.

a few of my friends are great at tuning turbo cars so I'll be getting a little help from them. yeah I can't wait until it's finished.

ya'll dont know shit bout turbos, so please refrain from giving advice. ive tried to be nice, slowly workin you in to class, but its impossible.

i can boost a b20 to 40psi and not have any problems. wanna know why? cause its all about overlap and washin your cylinder so much, you dont keep the boost.
OVERLAP, READ ABOUT IT, EMBRACE IT, ACCEPT IT!

you also so dont need to re-sleeve the block, just simply post it. you will gain a lot of strength from that mod.

Back