max psi for motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveholiday

Do work
I've done a lot of reading, and I need to ask a specific question, that I hope someone can help me with. I'm building a turbo kit for a stock mini-me, a6 block with a y8 head. I may be getting a stage 2 turbo cam but thats not important right now. I have an internal wastegate set at 7psi, and I've read stock honda motors can take 8psi. Is there any truth in this, or am I gonna pop my motor?

Thanks

its a t3 turbo off a saab 9000, and I just more or less right now wanted some extra kick. I'm not expecting to beast on svt's and such, but I'd like some extra kick on top of the mini-me to make me stand out a little bit from all the other kids out there

as far as the power goes, I'm not sure 100%. This guy I know tunes his brothers boosted crx, and he said that with the compression change from the new head and the turbo with 7 psi, I'd be pushing around 180 on a good day. I know that isn't quite a lot, but coming from a kid who works at wendys, and has been driving around with 108 on a good day, yeah I'll take the extra 76 horsepower.

Ha how hard will you hit me if I say I don't really know?
The d16a6 stock is rated at 108 hp at like 6k, so I'd hope the mini-me would put it above that.

Anyway though, I don't know. After its all said and done though, I'm hoping for at least like 150whp, since I don't know if he's talkin 180 crank or flywheel. I know flywheel is more than the actual hp your puttin down, and I'm not sure what crank hp is, maybe you can clear it up a little. I'm still in the learning stages as I do this all

and maybe another thing you can clear up because I feel like a moron asking it, but I can't find it anywhere, so I'll ask.

What exactly is a dizzy? thx lol

haha I'm glad you like my attitude

I kinda had a feeling that a dizzy was slang for distributor, but I didn't wanna go and start using it and be completely off in what it means you know? then I'd feel like a real moron haha.

I'm familiar with bhp, but I didn't know that it was the same as crank or flywheel hp, and that's a nice handy little equation you got there. So being said, if I was told that the turbo would give me around 180 bph, I'd just take 180 x .85 to get my whp? thats not hard at all.

so this all being said, when you read the specs of a car and its hp, is it bhp or whp? like I had a durango 2 years ago, and it supposedly had 175ish hp, would I assume bhp or whp?

sorry for all the questions. I get in these moods to learn things, and when I do I kinda go crazy for knowledge:)

I'd say that I understand all this a lot more now, and I thank you

but as far as my power goes, your sayin that with the mini-me putting me at 130 + 76ish for the turbo, I'll be runnin with say 206bhp, 175 real neighborhood hp? That doesn't seem bad at all.

On a slightly different note, I have a couple other questions about boosting and such.
I used a compression calculator, and with the y8 head and stuff, I ended up with a compression of 9.065691584480893:1, which is less than the stock d16a6. I was told that the compression would increase because of the difference in the compression from the head on the block?

Also, since I am planning on boosting it, would it necessarily be a bad thing to have a lower compression? I don't know how often it happens but I am just scared to death of detonation. Being that this is also my daily driver, I can't quite let this thing kick the can you know?

And 1 more, sorry lol, turbo cams, do they increase or decrease compression? I've been told both, heard from someone that all aftermarket cams increase compression, heard that turbo cams decrease it so that you can take more boost

the compression is off here
SolBlu's Helpful Del Sol Site

a6 block
y8 head
p28 ecu (has the basemap for my turbo already, tried to find out if it would work or not with my setup since i'd be using a 96-00 vtec head with a 92-95 vtec ecu and a straight up non-vtec block, boosted.)
y8 headgasket (since its metal or something? supposed to be better than a6 gasket)
oem a6 piston to deck height (I honestly had no idea on this one, just assumed it would be for the a6 since thats what I was runnin with originally.)

I'm reading that article on the cams now, but I wonder this, is 10.3:1 too high to boost, as in is it gonna be super easy to detonate? I don't know if most people run premium on their boosted cars, but I was told its required so I planned on it, if that helps at all

I redid the calculator too, and got the same 10.3:1 as you did, but the only problem is that the kid is selling me his p28 because it has the basemap for my turbo already on it and I planned on running that ecu, which is why I plugged that one it. So back to that question, is the 9.0blahblah:1 too low if I'm boosting???

Did I say thanks for all your help yet?:)

alright, so now I have another proposition. The kid who I'm getting this junk off is now saying that he's just gonna give me allllll his d-series junk for the money I paid him for the turbo, all its necessary stuff, head, and all the other d series stuff ever. He had a d16z6 motor, and so now this opens up more doors, as to what I can do.

I used the compression calculator though, and with the y8 head and the p28 ecu (chipped and basemap for my t3 turbo), I was lookin at 9.065:1, and with the z6 head and p28 ecu, I was at 8.78:1, all on the a6 block. But then again, if I use the y8 head with the pm6, I get 10.3:1, and the z6 head on the pm6 gets 9.95:1. He said the z6 head flows better but then again I could say that I have 3 arms, but that doesn't make it true.

I'm looking to see what is going to be better in the long run. I know that one way or another, I'm going to have to update my obd and go from either 0-1, or 0-2. the y8 is obd2, so theres that, and the z6 is obd1. Help me out here. My main concern is compression, and how difficult it would be in the long run. Is 9.065:1 or 8.78:1 too low of a compression if I'm running boost?

The ECU won't change the engine's compression. Or are you saying that's what ECU's tuned for?

I'd run the Z6 head and convert to OBDI. I'm quite fond of my Z6. It's at 9.5:1 and I plan on boosting it to around 200whp. The 10:1 you'll get with the Z6 head and head gasket will mean that you'll need more careful tuning but it's not that bad. People boost stock B16s and B18Cs all the time.

Technically, the Y8 head is a little better than the Z6 head. It has smaller combustion chambers and factory quench zones. However, milling the head and decking the block to move the pistons closer to the combustion chamber will have very similar results. Not the same, just similar.

how did you get 10:1?
I didn't even get 9:1, I got like 8.7:1 or something super low...

OMFGFAL;KJFJ I think now, I officially feel like a moron. Of all of the stupid junk I've ever done, I think this may be one of them. I kept entering in p28 for piston, because all I saw was ecu names, and stupid me didn't even look at the title of the section. NOW, I notice it says piston so it would stay my pm6, and now I fully understand why I was getting such low shit and you kept changing it. We're probably best friends now.

so back to forgetting that incident ever happened, is 9.95:1 a decent cr for about 7psi of boost? like I said before, I'm so paranoid about the whole detonation thing, I'm just tryin to stay away from it as much as possible and keep myself from it ha

10 is fine to low-boost.

please change your avatar. pg or better please.

Back