maxtor drives suck.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
thats all i have to say.

this is the 2nd time in as many months that my 200 gb drive just "lost" everything other than what starts witht he letter A. WTF? but yet, it still shows it as being used.

so, needless to say, i will never buy a maxtor hard drive again, and i'd recommend you guys do the same.

sorry ezra, but they suck.

Yea i would go with seagate .. i have owned maxotr , and w/d they both sucked for me had my seagate 2 years no probs

ive had only maxtor drives in my systems. never had a problem.

currently sporting the maxtor 120gb that is nearly full.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 6 2004, 10:55 AM
thats all i have to say.

this is the 2nd time in as many months that my 200 gb drive just "lost" everything other than what starts witht he letter A. WTF? but yet, it still shows it as being used.

so, needless to say, i will never buy a maxtor hard drive again, and i'd recommend you guys do the same.

sorry ezra, but they suck.
[post=426986]Quoted post[/post]​

Lol B my Maxtor drive crashed last tues it was 6 months old it was a 40 gig 7200rpm and 8 months before that a 20 gig one crashed...they do fucking suck dick...but i am an idiot and fucking bought another one 80gig from staples.....these things crash like a mofo

I've had no problems with WD, works fine, but I have the format disc that writes all sectors to zero just...in...case.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 6 2004, 11:08 AM
Maxtor = shit.

Western Digital = good if you get the 8MB cache ones.

Seagate = teh pwnz0r. :D
[post=426993]Quoted post[/post]​

Good god I thought I would NEVER hear that. Seagate used to make drives only worthy of wiping my ass with. Back in the day, WD Cavaiar drives were the standard to live by.

this really leads to a good point.

i've hated Wd since like forever.
i've never associated seagate with anything quality.
i've had good luck until recently with my maxtor drives.

so what else is there...

i think im going to go to a fully external iomega or hook up some NAS to my router.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 6 2004, 12:18 PM

so what else is there...

i think im going to go to a fully external iomega or hook up some NAS to my router.
[post=427038]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah get one of these

Iomega

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Dec 6 2004, 10:12 AM-->
Battle Pope
@Dec 6 2004, 11:08 AM
Maxtor = shit.

Western Digital = good if you get the 8MB cache ones.

Seagate = teh pwnz0r. :D
[post=426993]Quoted post[/post]​

Good god I thought I would NEVER hear that. Seagate used to make drives only worthy of wiping my ass with. Back in the day, WD Cavaiar drives were the standard to live by.
[post=427034]Quoted post[/post]​

Seagate has made leaps and bounds in quality the last 4 years or so. I will be going to a dual-SATA Barracuda storage solution within the next few months.

And yes, WD Caviar were teh win... back in the days when 4 gigs was massive.

Damn! Under a grand for a terabyte in an external storage system?! Holy hell that's cool! I'm liking that 500gig one for 499 though.

Yeah, I saw that. It's totally stupid when you can buy two that total more for less money. I have to upgrade my system drives before I look at external storage anyway.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 6 2004, 12:18 PM

so what else is there...

[post=427038]Quoted post[/post]​

Quantum and Fujistu.

Notably, I always respected Seagate's SCSI drives. There was nothing like a Cheetah.

Network storage rocks, flat out. Still won't help if the heads play demolition derby with the platters though. If you can afford it, and most of us can't, get solid state storage.

I have had so many drives die on me, my most recent one was a maxtor, but I sent the drive into the company, best customer service I have encountered in the tech industry. Prior to that I had a Quantam drive die on me. I have had 3 Western Digital drives die on me, and not only that WD has shitty support. I will never buy anything from Western Digital again. I have lost one Seagete but that was back in 1996 or 1997. I have lost a lot of drives, but then again I have 3 computers running right now and I am buying another laptop in January, and I have had at least 2 at a time since 1997.

I maintain 3 comps and a router "situation", but 2 of them are HPs and I usually just chalk up problems with those to it just being an HP.

I have a Fujistu 4gig hard drive from back when 400mhz PC's were Leet..and it still runs fine i use it as a second drive in my PC, i have not had any probs with it at all..it came out of my newphews hotwheel computer

Back