May be the next honda for the stable.. CB 175 project..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
I've been looking for a CB XXX (was thinking 350 would be ideal) to restore / turn into a cafe... And this thing is gorgeous, and even runs! I have the 1000rr to go insanely fast on, but I wanted another bike to work on, clean up, and ride for fun.. Maybe get Mrs. Phyre into riding as well.. (actually riding, not sitting on the back)

It needs a ton of work, but its mostly elbow grease and some new gaskets/cables/carb rebuild/etc.. All the parts seem to be there and in decent shape.

The big question is, will the CB 175 have enough power to cruise comfortably at 70 or 80mph? (cruise, not bawls out full tucked wide open throttle 80mph) Anyone ever owned one? I'm digging around various forums but haven't found an answer yet. I'm not going to purchase it if it can't cruise at highway speeds.. that would be kind of pointless.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CB175.jpg
    CB175.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 14,682
Hrmm.. Wiki says 20bhp, 85mph top end... And that was when it was new.. Wonder if i can squeeze more power out of it with some head work or something..

imho it would be too many projects at one time. plus, the 350 would suit your needs a little better. it's a cool bike, but not 1 of a kind. you can find them pretty frequently and in decent shape.

Yeah, the 85 top end is kinda killing it.. (70mph today would probably take 45 seconds to achieve at full throttle) Bike is currently on ebay for less than $500.. and has all of its parts. Tempting, but I don't think I'm going to bite...

Now looking at a '71 CB 450.. Little bigger, much better shape, $900 buy it now.. If it was a 60s bike I would have snagged it up already.. Its close.. Has some lame american graphics on it though. And its like 450 miles away.

what the fuck do the graphics matter when its going to be cafe'd??? youre going to be stripping, modifying, and painting it anyway

The paint on the bike is beautiful.. glossy, perfect.. and black. I'd just leave it alone but it has a big ass gold eagle with the olive branches and arrows on the top.

looks to be a fun project, i picked myself up a 73 suzuki gt185 2 smoke that i too am gonna cafe

I'd hate to ride it on a highway, backroads or 45mph roads should be your limit.

I spent some time on a newer Honda Shadow 750 that had about 2500 miles on it, at 65mph the bike felt like it was going to die. With that Honda CB 175 you'll have to watch out for some of the higher end scooters, they might try and race you and put you to shame lol.

It's a cool bike and I'd like to have it for a toy, but yeah, keep it on the slower roads.

Id find an old early 80s Suzuki GS1100 I've seen them for cheap, and they can be made into kick ass street bikes. put some straight bars on it do some minor motor work and or spray.

Vance.jpg

When left stock.

Suzuki%20GS%201100E%2082.jpg

Well, I'm hung up on the honda idea.. And having a CBR, I thought it would be cool to have a CB in the garage as well. I'm seriously considering the 450.. Its super clean and super cheap vs all the other Honda CBs out there.. I just have to figure out how to buy it without supremely pissing off mrs. Phyre.

Well, I'm hung up on the honda idea.. And having a CBR, I thought it would be cool to have a CB in the garage as well. I'm seriously considering the 450.. Its super clean and super cheap vs all the other Honda CBs out there.. I just have to figure out how to buy it without supremely pissing off mrs. Phyre.

Buy here something really expensive then she wont even notice.

I'm still crying from spending $8200 on linh, all I know is for the next year I can buy anything and she'll never say a damn thing.
=)

3.jpg

nuff said?

I soooo wanted to buy another bike with the money but nooooooooo.......

Thought you guys were already married?

In other news, the black bike was almost mine, but I couldn't get over the front drum brake.. After researching a bit, I found out that it is a CL450 with some CB parts and a CB motor, instead of a real CB.. So it is fake, and falsely advertised. Not going to buy that one. Its a bummer.. It was a very nice bike at a great price.

But, if I was going to get something other than a CB, I'd snag up a triumph or something.

Ummm, Phyre..we don't live on a farm or ranch, we have no stables...please quit using the phase. :) I don't know why but it bothers me. lol

Back