May8th Drfit is back

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

might not make it there..... :(

aha.jpg

From what I see, the head gasket was slightly blown, the valve seals are shot, the block has some super fine cracks on one of the cylinders, and the one carb that wasn't flowing right was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to lean......and that was what caused the headers to be glowing red, so the head might be salvageable, but the block is shot, well...fawk it...this engine is shot........time for another test engine....I found one in NY for $100, anyone want to go on a road trip???....I hate Queens.....

I guess I won't get to the autocross this week-end, and possibly might have to forget about drift for a few weeks.....

more pics. :(

You sure the block is cracked? Cracks almost always happen on the exhaust side of the block, very rarely on the intake side, and NEVER between bores. Especially if you're NA on carbs. On top of that, cracks are never perfectly straight like what I think I'm looking at in your pics. Have it magnafluxed before you buy another block. Want a hand tuning the carbs next time? I'm rather good at it...

the suspected crack is on the intake side in the pic, but there are a few more on the exhaust side. mill the head $50, new head gasket $50, valve seals $25, fluids $25, intake/exhaust gasket $20, and I found all kinds of new scratches on the cams I just put in, so I have metal in the oil gallies, and if the crank looks as bad as the cams do...then the engine is fully toasted...

a running engine from a kid in NY...$100 +gas...and then back to the carb problems....I'm going to see if the dutterfly valves rod is warped...that would let more air in and make that one cylinder lean, or I had the intake gasket not good enough seated and air went into the engine from there, the swap should only take a few hours, now that I've done it enough on this engine, I have it down pact.

By the time you have a chance to get here..the carbs will need to get tuned...

if you were running real lean you could crack the intake side . . . gas cools the intake side, if you don't have enough well thats more heat.

anyway i don't know if i'll be drifting but spectating is a good possibility

I don't nessicarily agree with that, Bill, because the exhaust side of the cylinder is always hotter, which means that detonation will occur on this side before the intake side, regardless of the ammount of fuel. The fact that his headers were glowing while his carbs didn't melt pretty much proves this.

But all that aside, what I'm looking at in the pics are perfectly straight vertical lines that are light brown in color. Cracks aren't perfectly straight, and that looks more like a little bit of oil left on the wall from the oil ring. Again- Magnaflux the block. You're not going to make the drift event with it, anyway, regardless of which block is in there, and since I know you have access to a Magnaflux machine, Clayton, check what you have first.

I can't haul a huge block in my backpack and get thru the revolveing gates, and past a security gaurd at Sikorsky...I'll just swap motors...something running...theres to much other shit wrong with this engine, like the fressh sratches on the new cams.....even the old cams were majorly cratched, so it wasn't something I've done...besides...this motor came from a junked car, I exspected it to be junk....so it will now be a manhole cover in CT as soon as I locate another engine...althought the thought did cross my mind many times, I could slap it together, but the prices for the gaskets and the towing the car back home after an event is way more than another $100 engine.

Beside's....if I wait..then that also means more time with the wifey....hehe :ph34r:

Originally posted by wildbillhatchbac@Apr 29 2004, 07:02 PM
anyway i don't know if i'll be drifting but spectating is a good possibility

slide or die mother fucker :lol: :lol: :lol:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Dohhhhhh <_< <_< <_< <_<

Ohh well, the AE86 is still dead and I got swaps out my ass to do in a tiny garage.....the landlord built a wall to section me off from his side..I can't even fit a car in the garage anymore :(

But the plan is...

Wed: Tune up and repair the small shit on the Jeep...and sort the mess in the garage.

Thur: Drop the Z's trany and do the clutch...install new built trany.

Friday: Go pick up engine in NY, unless someone wants to pick it up and have dinner on me.

Sat: AE86 Engine Swap!!! (beer)

Sun: AE86 Tuning !!! (beer)

Monday: Pull engine from CRX. (beer)

Tuesday...sleep

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 5 2004, 01:55 PM
After this weekend, "B" will stand for Boost.

Hopefully......Good Luck :)

After the week-end...I hope to have at least 3 cars drivable :unsure:

Back