maybe a few dumb questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

can someone clarify these questions for me? thanks in advance..
1. If i buy a spoon racing p72 ecu or one of those other so called racing ecus off of ebay will my car still pass emissions, provided everything else is ok?
2. I have a auto p72 ecu laying around and i was wondering if those companies that claim they can reprogram an auto ecu to manual ecu are legit? is it even possible?
3. are those chips you can solder in (the ones on ebay for like 10 bucks) actually even worth it?
4. whats the difference between a JDM and USDM p72 ecu? will the JDM not pass emissions?

thanks

1. Probably not, those chips usually dump a buttload of fuel into the system.
2. If you use a legit company, then yeah, it will be legit. Just ask around, there are people that can do it. Not sure about the p72 specifically, as I am not sure if you are talking about an obd2 p72 or an obd1 p72.
3. Absolutely not. Garbage. Pay someone on here to burn you a custom basemap if your engine is built. If it is a near stock engine, leave it alone, or go tune it with crome, or hondata, or something if you want actual gains, which are likely to be minimal if you have a stock engine.
4. Not sure besides the physical size of the ecu. It will probably pass emissions if the rest of your engine is good to go. But it won't pass a CARB referee here in Cali if you are looking to do a legal swap.

2. if you own a soldering iron you can covert it from auto to manual for like 30 cents and 20 minutes of your time. it only involves replacing a resistor

Back