1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazda Protege 99 ES

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by penngomifan, Jan 19, 2008.

1. penngomifan

penngomifan New Member

I was wondering what i could do to tune a Mazda Protege 99 ES , its an automatic btw, anyways i just wanted to do some mods to it, to make it a little quicker, nothing to special though, is it possible to throw a super charger on it?

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

really not worth it

3. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Don't bother... if you are going to keep it, go the show route... you won't be able to reliably or cost effectively make alot more power.

4. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

see if you can find a wrecked MazdaSpeed Protege and do an engine swap. once you swap that MazdaSpeed motor into your ES, mods are pretty much endless...

this place might be able to help ya out: Club Protege - Powered by vBulletin

good luck :)

5. E_SolSi

you have the ES so you at least have the 1.8... but it still only puts out 122hp /120tq
    any power mods are going to be just about worthless thanks to the slushbox automatic tranny
    keep everything from the intake to the exhaust stock... anything you do here will be little more than a noise maker

things you can play with if you want is the suspension and brakes... upgrading these will make the car more fun and overall more rewarding to drive hard... but its still an automatic so it will never be that much fun

i have a 2003 Protege5 (2.0 130hp/135tq) 5 speed... the previous owner put on an intake and cat back exhaust
    its slightly faster than my friends stock 02 P5 was but still very far from "fast"
    the P5 has better suspension thn the standard Protege and its still nothing to write home about, which is why i suggest upgrading that if anything
    also the brakes on these cars suck... at very least get some Brembo rotors and some Hawk HPS or HP+ pads, swap out for some braided lines and get some ATE Super Blue brake fluid in there... that will make them "good" still not great

over all my P5 is a nice car and i like it very much... its not "fast"... hell its barely "quick"... but it handles well... the brakes suck (but thats on the short list of shit to replace)... overall its a great everyday driver... but having had an automatic protege as a rental before... seriously you couldnt pay me to drive it everyday if it was an automatic...

if you want a protege that IS fun to drive... look into the mazdaspeed version :thumbsup:

6. BodyDroppedNikes

E...should waited and got the Mazda3 which is pretty much a Protege. i love my Mazda3. its got the 160hp and 148 ft/lbs tq. 2.3L I-4 with 5-speed manual transmission. it gets up and scoots pretty good :)

7. E_SolSi

i want the mazdaspeed3 reallllllyyyyyyy bad

i love the look of the mazda3 wagons... and when you toss in 263hp/280tq... OMG!!!!1!!

i love the look of yours... im just more of a wagon guy :)

8. BodyDroppedNikes

yeah i do too. i parked next to a Mazda3 wagon last night and i really liked it! it wasnt the MazdaSpeed version but it was still badass looking. it was same color as my sedan and had the same wheels. it was oh so sexy looking....lol.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted