MB GLA45 AMG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've never had an automatic yet.

Me too :thumbup:

The problem is that nobody buys manuals anymore. The average enthusiast driver can't afford a brand new car. The enthusiast driver with some cash has a wife that refuses to learn manual. Finally, the 3% of people left don't cover the cost of tooling up and certifying a new drivetrain. Jeff makes a good point about dealer availability as well.

I had an Accord Sport for a year. It got 28 in the city, and 34-38 on long trips depending on cruise speed. My only complaint is the spacing of the gears. 1st hits 35mph, 2nd - 60, 3rd - 95!!!!! there are 3 gears left. They could have left 6th where it is, and spaced 3rd-5th more evenly, and the car would have such a more sporty character. Other complaint is the SUPER cheap carpet. I really wish I could get an Accord with leather, heated seats, and a nice stereo with 4 doors and a stick.

One thing that I've been realizing, I'm assimilating my up coming decision to replace my vehicle at work to the ideal perception. It's dumb. I am probably stressing myself more about it than I should, but with the suits, shoes, and other professional details I follow, its a real thing.

I drive a "kid's" car. If I'm needed to drive over to a different work facility 10-20 miles away, I'm hesistant to volunteer to drive. Most of the time I can dodge this, but when it has happened, and I explain to the 3 other people that they have to climb into the back it kind of sucks. It's not that I need a new car, or a nice car, but a "socially" acceptable car for my company that has 4 doors. Doesn't need to be new, just comfortable and not dirty. And not a mercedes.

What are you driving these days?

My first automatic was my current BMW 330ci. Love the car, love the options, love the driveability. I don't see much purpose in driving a manual 100 miles a day anymore.

Everybody who can afford it and actually cares about cars should own an auto for commuting and a manual for fun days.

Its fuuny 99si mentions that the wife doesn't want to learn to drive stick. We want to buy a Wrangler at some point but the wife doesn't want to learn to drive standard. There is no way I am getting an auto Wrangler.

I had to get a v6 truck to get a manual.

The people I know who like manuals have no problem buying a new car. My point was that if manuals came in all the same options as the other cars and a dealership kept more than none in hand. For example the massive Honda dealership we went to had ZERO ex models with a manual. Only a single LX model. Again massive dealership... Another one was my Mercedes. I wanted a manual. The guy at the dealership turned his monitor around snd searched the country for a manual c class. 3 came up under both new and used. In the end I bought an automatic...

My wife drives 140 miles a day. That's why she wants a manual because she doesn't zone out like the rest of the drivers that she is always avoiding because they are all on auto pilot.

Btw my wife didn't want a manual car. Only reason she learned was because she got an SI and an automatic is not an option. She had a few hours Saturday and a few hours Sunday to figure it out before driving from Maryland to NVA in the number one traffic area in the country on Monday.

She WILL NOT go back unless she no longer had the option. She'd rather have the mazda6 with a manual over a E class or other lux car with automatics.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to date/marry someone who was unwilling to learn how to drive a manual. IMHO, it's a standard function of driving. Honestly, I think you should have to pass a drivers test with a manual to get a license. What if I own a manual and drive out hiking and break my leg? My wife couldn't drive us out. What if I drink too much at a Christmas party? What if your car breaks and you need to borrow mine? It just doesn't make sense.

I guess I just can't imagine being in a relationship with someone who won't do something reasonable and rationale. The lack of desire to learn anything is a major turn off. IDK, maybe it's how I view that person as mature or even willing to try new stuff. I just picture people who won't learn something annoying because they won't try new activities, new restaurants, or anything out of their own little comfort zone bubble.

I've never had an automatic yet.
only auto i've ever owned is the Dakota. I will be hard pressed to ever give up my manual. i loathe that day. I am a proud member of savethemanuals.org

The problem is that nobody buys manuals anymore. The average enthusiast driver can't afford a brand new car. The enthusiast driver with some cash has a wife that refuses to learn manual. Finally, the 3% of people left don't cover the cost of tooling up and certifying a new drive train. Jeff makes a good point about dealer availability as well.

Is this true market research, or just speculation?

I think the average enthusiast can afford a brand new car. some can afford 60k, some 10k, but averages around 25-35k all day. look at all the genesis, brz/frs, sti's, evo's, etc etc etc that are out there in that price block.

I think the biggest thing, and this is my current view point, is that there is not a single car for sale right now that I WANT to spend money on. the ones that interest me are too much money. The ones I am willing to part ways with, lack in one or more areas. In the Jeffie case, he has 2 options that fit his wife's criteria! 2!
Me, I have to go from what I want to spend (~30k) to what I won't spend (~55k) to meet 3/4 of what I want and have 1/4 of shit i don't care about/want forced on me and have to pay for it. Cars are a lot like cable TV packages.

All i want is history, discovery, amc, and bbc..... but i have to buy lifetime, mtv, and 213 other channels of uselessness to get it.

my "wife" can drive manual, but doesn't want to own a car with it. She's driven my genesis a couple times and did perfectly fine in it and actually enjoyed it. She's just afraid of hills..... and for no good reason. she didn't roll back at all. Hill-start assist/anti rollback can save the manuals for people like her.

I really wish I could get an Accord with leather, heated seats, and a nice stereo with 4 doors and a stick.
options + manual? NOPE! they said we can't have the things we want.

. I don't see much purpose in driving a manual 100 miles a day anymore.
Everybody who can afford it and actually cares about cars should own an auto for commuting and a manual for fun days.

i couldn't disagree more.

I HATE having to cover the brake in stop and go. I can idle with my feet off and not move until i tell the car to move.

in slow roll, an idel in first with some space between the guy in front of you makes life much easier. I find myself acting like a trucker.... ya know, professional drivers.

ready? Automatic driving makes you lazy and less aware of your surroundings leading to more accidents, especially lower speed fender benders.

I would love to see traffic stats to back that up, but i doubt they log the transmission type in a wreck.

Its fuuny 99si mentions that the wife doesn't want to learn to drive stick. We want to buy a Wrangler at some point but the wife doesn't want to learn to drive standard. There is no way I am getting an auto Wrangler.

I had to get a v6 truck to get a manual.

buy a manual wrangler anyway.
if she wants to drive it, she has to learn.

The people I know who like manuals have no problem buying a new car. My point was that if manuals came in all the same options as the other cars and a dealership kept more than none in hand. For example the massive Honda dealership we went to had ZERO ex models with a manual. Only a single LX model. Again massive dealership... Another one was my Mercedes. I wanted a manual. The guy at the dealership turned his monitor around snd searched the country for a manual c class. 3 came up under both new and used. In the end I bought an automatic...
yup.

My wife drives 140 miles a day. That's why she wants a manual because she doesn't zone out like the rest of the drivers that she is always avoiding because they are all on auto pilot.

word, i just said that.

Btw my wife didn't want a manual car. Only reason she learned was because she got an SI and an automatic is not an option. She had a few hours Saturday and a few hours Sunday to figure it out before driving from Maryland to NVA in the number one traffic area in the country on Monday.

She WILL NOT go back unless she no longer had the option. She'd rather have the mazda6 with a manual over a E class or other lux car with automatics.

I wouldn't be able to date/marry someone who was unwilling to learn how to drive a manual. IMHO, it's a standard function of driving. Honestly, I think you should have to pass a drivers test with a manual to get a license. What if I own a manual and drive out hiking and break my leg? My wife couldn't drive us out. What if I drink too much at a Christmas party? What if your car breaks and you need to borrow mine? It just doesn't make sense.
agreed. you don't have to be good at it or want to do it all the time, but you CAN do it if you had to.
I guess I just can't imagine being in a relationship with someone who won't do something reasonable and rationale.
so, you're going gay then? lol

The lack of desire to learn anything is a major turn off. IDK, maybe it's how I view that person as mature or even willing to try new stuff. I just picture people who won't learn something annoying because they won't try new activities, new restaurants, or anything out of their own little comfort zone bubble.
:thumbup:
You think I'm rich?
you keep trying to tell us so with those suits :shades:

Sadly nobody buys sports cars these days. Here are last month's sales #'s for what I consider affordable sports cars. Cars like this are only pulling in about 5% profit, so that's roughly $41M/year for the Genny. That isn't much when just the mold to make a bumper fascia is around $2M. A new platform full model change on a car can cost $500M-$1B.

OCT sales #'s.

Genesis 2,325
FRS 1,111 -9.9%
370z 464 -13.6%
BRZ 435 -44.23%

Pretty weak sauce when you compare to standard compacts and midsizes. And WOW the Mazda6 is a sales disaster. I wonder why?

Corolla 24,959 +5.6%
Cruze 24,289 +51%
Civic 24,154 -11.6%; hybrid 395 -65.9%
Jetta 14,607 +24.7%
Focus 13,733 -9.1%
Sentra 13,129 +56.3%
Elantra 12,758
3 7,246 -5.6%
Dart 7,202 +28%
Forte 5,190
Impreza 3,154 -11.58%

Camry 33,164 +13.8%
Accord 27,128 +7.8%; FHEV 1,130 +4,813.6% PHEV 34 -52.1%
Altima 23,544 +8.1%
Fusion 22,846 +5.1%
Sonata 15,563
Optima 11,840
200 11,675 +40%
Malibu 11,131 -29.3%
Passat 6,513 -10.3%
Legacy 6,362 +105.89%
6 3,149 +1.6%
Avenger 1,347 -75%

People normally buy sports cars in the spring not going into winter.

Plus a lot of people who buy sports cars buy them as a second car so it doesn't take away from the other cars numbers.

As for the mazda my guess is its not a sales wreck. Mazda is tiny vs Honda and Toyota.

To put Toyota into perspective size wise. Toyota sells more camrys in a year than Subaru sales cars as a whole.

Mazdas never been a big volume car. Even if mazda 6 is a big hit. It's still going to take years before people are willing to step away from the camrys and accords. Before 2014 the Mazda 6 wasn't even in the same class it wasn't a true mid size car.

Sad to say but with all this mazda6 hype I bet Mazda is selling more then they expected to which doesn't look like a lot.

Food for thought. If I open a chain of restaurants and make a profit of 2 million a year. Should I feel down if someone points out other food chains bring in billions? Sure would make me feel tiny but making the company's goals is what it's about not beating the big dawgs.

@get_nick You still a pierce county resident? That helps too.

@get_nick You still a pierce county resident? That helps too.
no, but i have a military id. :D

November & December starting at:
Green Fees:$115
Washington Resident or PNGA Member:$115
Pierce Co. Resident or Military (Active & Retired):$85
Chambers Bay Golf Club:$80
Replay:N/A

Back