MCSE options?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I work in the IT field, but i am very very inexperienced. This job fell into my lap, i took it and i wanna run with it and start to make better money. I want to know if I go out and get my MCSE, that would that be enough, to find a better career but i lack time at a relevant job. So my basic scenario is, I can get training, courses and books for right around 4000. It is 45 minutes away, but i am willing to do this if i know it will benefit me. The course is 7 modules, http://www.asmed.com/schedules/mcsa_e41-mcse_e41.pdf and cover MCP, MCSE and MCSA. So i will come out with the 3 generally needed skills... would it be worth it to look into?

best bet is to get as much experience as you can first. those MCSE tests cover 75% of networking you will NEVER EVER TOUCH.

start easy :)

It is definitely worth looking at. Have you got your A+, Network+ and Security+ yet? I started studying for my A+ cert so hopefully ill be taking that soon. I would start with the lower level/less costly certs first. But thats just my two cents.

best bet is to get as much experience as you can first. those MCSE tests cover 75% of networking you will NEVER EVER TOUCH.

start easy :)

Fuckin' :werd:

I've learned the real world basics and inter-workings of networking from real life experience, I got Bs in class and honestly have used maybe 25% of what I learned.

Holy shit, that makes 100% don't it? :p

Anyone claiming to "cover MCP" is wasting your time. I think theres like 25 different tests for that cert now that you can choose from. There's no way a class can teach you everything on that.

I've said it a hundred times now... but i could care less what is on your resume in terms of education when i'm looking to hire.
the ONE thing I look at, is what you can SHOW ME you have done.

If you can't show me you've done anything, NEXT.

Thats true i understand... .I have my A+ and that is it. But I cant advance at work, to know anymore than I am doing now, if i dont get some kind of network based cert. I know you can get the training anywhere, upon my research, my old college offers the same course, and at a discount for previous students. Even though i still haven't graduated, i feel 5000 dollars is alot less than the 25-30k needed to get my degree.

you don't need a 5000 class either.

if you're not a moron, you can buy a $35 network+ exam prep book, and schedule yourself the $175 test, take it and pass it.

if you fail it, study some more, and try again.

if you have a basic grasp on most things, there's a good chance you can pass it with out taking a class, especially if you already have your a+, as a vast portion of net+ covers the same areas as the a+, just more focus on the networking side of things instead of Os/ troubleshooting.

For the record, all i have is my a+ as well. never bothered with the others.

take an english class while you're at it. I had to read your post 4 times to understand it. lol

i have taken all my english classes. It is just easier to speak, then type it :) I use alot of run on sentences, because i get my thoughts out there. Then i can organize them and correct grammer. But sometimes i dont give a crap.

So expeirence is key. And basically, go to Barnes and Nobles and pick up maybe the MCP book and learn the basics of the cert... or go all out and just spend the coin and get the mcse book, and just study for a few months. I know i dont need the classes, but the hands on part i do. I dont have many networks, that i physically troubleshoot. I am more in the desktop support for the internal comcast networks. I just want to advance my career, and just need some guidence.

you sly son of a.... :p They pay well for what i do, but i need more money... dont we all? But i get free cable, internet and phone. So whats wrong with a company that gives you basically free beneifts, free utities, and great atmosphere? I am not the idiot who answers the calls, but i am the guy who fixes the idiots computers when they screw up. I am probably gonna make a trip today to the book store and just see whats out there.

i understand completely, i was saying, taking one step at a time. As soon as i pass 1 microsoft exam, i get my mcp. But i am saying, learn the basics, fine tune them, then go out and prep for mcsa, then in the end mcse. But i was questioning, should i get the books in stages and learn networking step by step, or would you suggest just saving money and buyin gone manual. I am new to it all, but i have a firm grasp on whats going on, i just need guidence and training.

you need to decide whats tests you want to take before you buy books.

MCP Certification Requirements

the MCDST test would probably be your best option, where as for me, the MCDBA test would probably be the easiest for me.

There is no 'basics' other than maybe File, and Help. That's the point i'm trying to make. Each test is very unique.

you sly son of a.... :p They pay well for what i do, but i need more money... dont we all? But i get free cable, internet and phone. So whats wrong with a company that gives you basically free beneifts, free utities, and great atmosphere? I am not the idiot who answers the calls, but i am the guy who fixes the idiots computers when they screw up. I am probably gonna make a trip today to the book store and just see whats out there.

Whats wrong? You get free shit, I get charged out the ass for it. 116/month for internet and tv? lol

ok ok and you make twice what i do... But i get free cable also :p beat that... sucka

i pay $11 for my cable and get everything including random ondemand from time to time. gotta love the DTV hi power tuner of the samsung :p The cable guy was too lazy to turn it off (the tip sure didn't persuade him to do it either :D )

Back