Measure for engine bearing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
To make sure I do the math correctly. To measure your bearing size would be, the inner diameter of the rod when tightened down, minus the outer diameter of the rod journal, all divided by two. Then I can find the bearing size from the charts or goto honda and ask them?

Would the a engine manual have the oil clearence? If that were the case, it would be the (inner diameter of rod - (crank journal diameter + oil clearence)) / 2 ??? Or would the oil clearence be figured in after you divide by two?

from what i know most oil clerances are 2thousands. be sure to measure on the diag to ensure the crank journals are square

Oi. I said I wasn't going to post in the forum but whatever.

Measure the crank journal. Measure the large bore of the rod with the bolts torqued to spec. Subtract the crank journal measurement from the rod bore measurement. Add your oil clearance. You now have the thickness of the bearing you need.

Honda-Tech.com: Honda Bearing color to thickness chart for everyone who loves using OEM bearings

It will more than likely require oversized bearings, its a remanufactured crank and aftermarket rods, so I'm not sure if the charts will work. The engine is a d series.

The chart says it has b series bearings, those bearings will work just the same for a d series? I bought other cranks and could not find any that were in good enough shape that I would not have to have them ground down anyway, so I spent a couple extra bucks to get something better.

Back