Mechanics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sixshooter

Listen/

I'm young, and recently every crack in my brain has been plastered with thoughts of cars/racing/mechanics etc. I've done everything to satisfy my aspiration through books, forums, websites, but there seems to be nothing left. So I'm curious-- when you got into automotives, how did you learn as much as you know now? Did you play around with your car with no prior knowledge? Did you talk with people from tune up shops? How?

Thanks, and move this if it doesn't belong in the forum.

i remember way back, about 3 years ago :p i wanted a camero.. well, the gey and the curious made me want an import <_< . i always wanted an accord after that, dom't ask why, because i couldnt tell you, lol.

anyway, i have started lots of random things that i had no idea how to fix, like a new radiator(i know, i was 16..) smog pump on one of my homies camero(v-6 :puke:) and a few other random things. i've always loved to take things apart, and play with them...

i started out from high school.we had a auto shop and i decided since i was so into hondas, to get a taste of it. I took the class all my four years. then i went to seqioua institute for another 4 years and got my ASE master mechanic certificate. I then worked for a small reapir shop in sac, then i got hired for Honda. I was with honda for 2 years and then went to Capital High Perfomance tuning hondas with wesley. Then Dan Paramore from of course DPR gave wesley a call, he then recommend that i go with DPR. So now i'm porting and building heads, and building blocks for DPR. Wesley probably expects me back within a couple months. i hate traveling from sac to gardena.

Originally posted by sixshooter@Feb 20 2004, 01:15 PM
I'm young, and recently every crack in my brain has been plastered with thoughts of cars/racing/mechanics etc.

Well I'm no mechanic but I started out just like that. :) Little to no interest (or so I thought), and then WHAM, it absorbed my every thought.

I got a Commodore 64 when I was 4 years from my grandpa and was hooked on computers from a very early age. Started making little BASIC programs at 4. :) From then on computers and electronics were the basis of pretty much everything I did. I was always taking apart everything in the house (god forbid I get a screwdriver in my hands at 6... not because I'd hurt myself, but because you'd find everything with screws in the house apart on the floor :) ). I always grew up thinking I'd be a programmer of some sort, wanting to get into computer science forever.

As time went on though I realized that software didn't really interest me as much as hardware. I was more interested in assembling the computer than coding. More interested in building electronics than programming them. At about 17 I realized that an engineering type field might be better for me.

Then my family got the 1986 Civic. :) I absolutely hated it at first... This old, light blue, crappy car. Little problems kept popping up and I'd have to go fix them. Flat tire, squeaky belts, etc. I started to realize though that I could get my 'hardware fix' not just from electronics, but from mechanical things like cars, too...

I don't know when exactly it hit me, but it did... I liked cars! I always did! On the Commodre 64 my favorite game was Pit Stop, a racing game. My favorite TV show growing up was Knight Rider. I had literally 6 dresser drawers full of Hot Wheels. I had RC cars, car models, all kinds of car related things, yet I never noticed it because of my infatuation with computers! Once I realized it, I started learning the best way I knew how... Online. :) I've gotten a ton of info from random sites on the web, hondaswap, redpepperracing, met a bunch of nice people who have helped me along, even got to know a few friends better because they were already into cars.

Thanks to that ugly blue car I literally changed my life, hopefully for the better. I realized that there was more to life than computers and electronics.

There's a reason my avatar says that 3rd gen. Civics rule.

Listen. (I about laughed at that one)

I became a mechanic from being poor. I bought a car when I was 15, a 1979 Celica Hatch that was in real bad shape. It was getting towed away, and the driver couldn't be paid. So I paid the driver, and the owner handed me the title.

I brought it home, and over the course of the summer, I used a hammer and a pair of vice grips to fix it. During all the effort, some people got together (My mother, some neighbors, teachers and friends) got together and bought me some tools. Screw drivers and wrenches, a small socket set (Which I still have) and a tag sale on my street granted me sets of dial calipers and all sorts of old assorted tools. My drill was an old ratchetting, hand driven drill with 4 bits that I used so often that I had huge muscles in one arm. I got my first power drill when I was 18.

In High school, I was never in autoshop. But I got called down to autoshop often for special projects, electric wirings and figuring out the alignment machines, fixing the balancers and other equipment. In my senior year of H.S. I taught 3 autoshop classes for a year.

Using only car tire jacks and basic tools I did a V8 conversion in an S10 Blazer, with a huge phone bill to JTR in california for support. After that, I made a living for a year doing V8 conversions in classmate's cars and trucks. I used to make motor mounts out of scrapped tires and epoxy, building wiring harnesses on the fly and by hand etc... Without any formal training, I was regarded in my school as a real pro.

After that, I got a high paying IT job, and spent real money on real equipment to keep my 8 or so cars in running shape. I spent thousands on tool boxes, new power equipment, air compressor and air tools. I even rented a shop in New Hampshire that lacked only a lift. The owner of the barn's kids came down one night, sparked up a joint in the barn and burned the place to the ground. 1976 Celica restoration project and all. The only things to survive were my trusty ratchet set, the antique drill and all the old yard-sale equipment that I had for the past 5 years.

Upon losing all of that, and more, I returned home and got involved in Robotics. Combining my passion for electronics, computer controls and programming I designed a few robots and neat little toys. My car knowledge was still basic.

When I got my CRX is when I started to attack automotive tech with a vigor. I built a convertible Celica in my garage, and used the CRX and RX7 as a design and test platform for alternative fuels, mechanically adjusted exhaust ideas, and new electronics for the car. I started a business in design and implementation of a few patents I had in the works, and tried to make it that way.

I failed. But I still sold some patents and learned a lot about cars.

Now, in 2004 I'm starting a real automotive shop. Doing repair, special work (Swaps and the such) restoration and my own talents of R&D. But, I admit, This time around I went looking far and high for funding to start it.

-> Steve

I got stuck at my buddies shop fixing some cars, once I did that I didn't want to work on my own shit, so moral of my story is.

willing to work on my shit only, not others.

and for the weekends..

i got started when my first car, an 87 chevy celebrity, had it's engine expire at a grand ole 147,000 miles. after that rebuild i pretty much hated working on cars.

until i got my next car, chich was a 1985 bmw 535i. that car was sweet but after numerous repair bills for stuff that i thought should have been simple ( $600 to replace one bushing in my shift inkage, $600 to change my radiator, $600 to replace my exhaust... funny how it all was nearly $600 every time) i decided enough was enough.

been learning about hondas ever since. i have done all my own maintenance on my civic and i am even going to attempt a motor swap + add boost this summer.

and :worthy: Celerity

Grew up in the back of a Napa store with a machine shop...been around engines since 5 years old.

Joined Air Force, became an F-15 Crew Chief.

Went to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University for my Air Frame and Power Plant FAA Licence....

I build and test Helicopters for Sikorsky Aircraft...(but presently I'm in the Composites Lab)

I build monsters once in a while.

If it's Broke...I'll Fix it...
If it's not Broke...I'll Break it so I have to fix it better and faster.

Hey Celerity, you lookin for some help in your shop?

I got started from my old man (who doesnt approve of this habbit by the way, and thinks i should invest my money more wisely). He had a race car when i was growing up, so i guess it kinda got started there.
Anyways, i got started just by doing things on my own. Like most people, i liked taking things apart and figuring out what was going on. I didnt have the money to really get too involved in things, but i figured out alot on my own. Then i decided to go to school for the lowest paying, hard working, no chance of advancement job of mechanic. :)

-Chris

It started waaaaaaaay back in the spring of '77 with a twinkle in my dad's eye. That twinkle, my friend, was soon to become a legend.

Around the age of four, I started taking things apart. Anything I could find in my room- tape players, radios, phones, toys, lamps, TVs, Pong consoles... just unscrewing them, looking at the innards, and putting them back together. The tape players were my favorite because they had gears. Surprisingly, most everything that was taken apart worked when put back together. I had also started my boating passion around this time, when my dad started letting me drive the boat- a 14' Orlando Clipper.

When I was ten, I started working on my bicycle and helped my dad with the lawn mower. About this time, I went to a local lawn mower place and asked for a blown up engine so that I could take it apart and play with it. They gave me a 3.5 HP Tecumseh. I took that thing apart and put it back together more than I can remember.

For my 14th birthday, my parents got me an introductory flight lesson, and was instantly hooked on all things with wings. This also subsequently drew my attention from girls and kept me pure 'till much later in life than my peers.

All through highschool I flew airplanes- soloed on my 16th birthday and got my license a month later. I still worked on things mechanical, but they were model airplanes, and my technical path was slowly being diverted away from wrench turning and guided towards aircraft design and fluid dynamics.

When I graduated, my parents forced me to go right into college rather than take a year off that I wanted. So I kinda just picked something- Aviation Technology. Hey, I figured that if I liked flying them, I'd like working on them. WRONG. I did graduate with an Associates and an A&P License (same thing that Airh0ckey has), but I've done nothing with it since and forget most everything they taught me. There was too much stress involved with working on aircraft, I deduced, and realized I missed my chance to become a commercial pilot or aerospace engineer.

However, it did reawaken the wrench turner in me, and started working on my own car. My very first project was to replace the rear brake shoes and drums on my '85 Accord. I started at 6 PM, and at 8:30 AM the next morning, the car was being loaded onto a flat bed to have a garage work on it. That was total humiliation. I vowed never to let that happen again, and enrolled in an Automotive Technology program at a college here in Vermont. Two years later, I graduated with an Associates and an ASE Master Technician certification. The only thing I'm not certified in, other than all things body work, are diesels.

Since then, I've split my personal studies about 60/40 between high performance cars and aircraft design. You all have seen about 10% of what I know about cars, so I won't really bore you with that side of what I've done. But I've designed and built quite a few RC aircraft, most successful, some not. But even the unsuccessful designs have taught me the importance of how drastic small changes are, as well as teaching me what won't work. Somewhere in there, I managed to learn a thing or two about boat design and construction and have designed and built a few full scale boats. In doing this, I experimented with different construction materials, specifically foam and fiberglass.

I guess I got a little off track there, but I can't really say how or why I got into working on things and designing stuff. It's just a passion. It's me. I wasn't born into it; neither of my parents work on anything mechanical or in the design realm. I do it because I enjoy it and am pretty good at it.

My advice is, get through high school and take a year off. Fiddle around on stuff, but keep it low budget. PAY ATTENTION to your failures because you can still learn from them. Don't follow the herd. Don't do just one thing. Work different jobs. Drive a tow truck. Work on heavy equipment. be the "shop bitch" at some place because if you're smart, you'll learn things. Don't sell yourself short once you do know a thing or two. Take a welding class. And above all, DO NOT STOP LEARNING! If there was one sentence in this whole post that was more important than the rest, it was the previous sentence. Once you stop learning, you're doomed.

:cliffs:
Read my goddamn post. It's basically an outline of my life story.

Welcome to Life 101 with Ji

-no but in all seriousness you're right dude- i love learning, i love being siutations where i have the opportunity to absorb intelligence- I think that is the reason i decided to come to nova and be a mechanical engineer- Besides that fact that it puts me in a pretty good position to work with what I love for the rest of my life B)

one day, i decided to swap out my integra's motor...learned through that...didnt know shit about my engine until i took it apart...

not a mechanic but im a garage grease monkey... started young playin with dads 64 fairlane, then moved to his 55 chevy truck. I helped my dad build the 383 stroker! that's bout it'

i got started thanks to airjockie, i wanted to modify my non-rice 92 honda civic dx hatch to be the fastest honda ever. :lol: :lol: :roll:

No mention of Legos? Shit, like most of you guys, I took everything apart. By the time I was 2 I had a handmedown set of LEGOS from my older brother. We'd break my sister's walking dolls to take the electric motor. Using a AA battery, some gears, a lego motor, the electric motor, and time, I had a twelve inch self powered lego car with moving pistons. ;)

My brother was a backyard mechanic for a long time, then became ASE certified in a few areas. I never wanted to be a mechanic, but I loved working on stuff. About twenty cars later, I still love to work on my shit.

My job for the City Of Aberdeen in Washington was a two year provisional(temp) job. We finished our job, and to keep me busy, I became the shop bitch for a bit. All of the diesel mechanics, major fabrication, and typical tinkering comes to me and another guy. I was only shop bitch for about six months when my boss came up to me and asked me if I liked working in the shop. My answer, yes. So, under the guidance of a 30 year shop veteran, I still learn. I've taken welding at college, and I highly suggest it. I have two degrees, love working on stuff, and feel lucky to say that I like my job. I'm a jack of all trades, and it's nice to have variety at work.

I agree with Loco Honkey. You could pay me twice as much money as I make now, but I wouldn't be happy doing something else. Spread yourself around, and find out where you fit well. My best friend would not like my job, nor would I like his.

Later

Back