Medal of Honor *official thread*

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think I will rent it then decide. It does look pretty damn good

I really don't understand the whole Taliban controversy deal. Just leave the name in there. I mean, it's not like they're actually removing them from the game, they're just not calling them "Taliban" by name anymore (they changed it to "Opposition Force" or something like that). How does that change anything?

If you had a WW2 strategy game that allowed you to play as Germany and the leader of Germany was a short-moustached man name "Radolph Schmittler", would that really make it any less offensive to anyone who would be offended by a game offering the opportunity to play as Hitler?

If you had a WW2 strategy game that allowed you to play as Germany and the leader of Germany was a short-moustached man name "Radolph Schmittler", would that really make it any less offensive to anyone who would be offended by a game offering the opportunity to play as Hitler?

because we are still fighting this war. plain and simple. we still have troops over there. and this isn't a universal good vs. bad. there are probably people out there who want to play as the Taliban just so that they can kill people from the U.S.

i have no issues with the name change. i know what they mean, but bottom line it pisses me off knowing that people want to play the other side just to kill americans.

10 years down the road when all of this is history, i probably wont mind as much, but for now.....good job "medal of honor" team. you did the right thing.

because we are still fighting this war. plain and simple. we still have troops over there.

I really don't see how that's an issue. I mean, you don't think many, many people would be offended by a game where you could play as Hitler and Nazi Germany (with a slight name change)? I do...

and this isn't a universal good vs. bad. there are probably people out there who want to play as the Taliban just so that they can kill people from the U.S.

i have no issues with the name change. i know what they mean, but bottom line it pisses me off knowing that people want to play the other side just to kill americans.

Well that's the thing, EA chose to make a game set in Afghanistan, and they chose to include a multiplayer option that allows players to play as the Taliban. Isn't the fault on them for setting up the opportunity for "American Haters" to play the game in the manner you speak of?

And the "change" that they're making doesn't actually CHANGE anything. You can still play as the Taliban and kill Americans, they're just called "Opposing Force" now instead. It's just a token effort at this point because they didn't think about possible backlash before they developed the game but it's too late to go back and rework the whole thing now since the release date is imminent...

10 years down the road when all of this is history, i probably wont mind as much, but for now.....good job "medal of honor" team. you did the right thing.

I don't believe that their decision has anything to do with "doing the right thing", I think it was purely motivated by not wanting to lose sales because of this. Like I said, they didn't consider any of this during the development phase, and that's evidenced by the fact that only now when the game's about to hit shelves and a shit-storm is brewing up are they making "changes" in order to be "respectful."

If they really wanted to do the right thing, they would have thought about this beforehand and not set up the multiplayer in this manner. I mean, they could have easily just gone the Modern Warfare route and set up a fictional enemy for players to fight against. I thought the point of the reboot was to take the franchise out of WW2 and make it modern, not necessarily to give us a game about the war in Afghanistan specifically.

Just my opinion though...

God I'm sick of this PC, everyone should never be offended bullshit. It's a video game. The GTA franchise let you kill plenty of Americans; men, women, cops, and soldiers. Hell, GTA 4 it was an immigrant doing the killing. Seems hypocritical to me. I know this game will become some kids whole life, but it's still not real life. As far as I'm concerned, kill as many Americans as you want with the game. When they put the controller down, it's another story.

it's a simple change that will make a lot of people happy. you're right, it doesn't really change anything, but big picture, if people are offended and it takes 3 minutes to change, just do it. no big loss.....but huge gains by fixing it.

it's a simple change that will make a lot of people happy. you're right, it doesn't really change anything, but big picture, if people are offended and it takes 3 minutes to change, just do it. no big loss.....but huge gains by fixing it.
I see your point, but it's giving a crying kid a cookie. Next time they want a cookie, they're just going to cry again.

Giving people what they what puts the thought in their head that just by bitching they can continually get what they want. Our over-prescribed populous should just pop a Xanax and chill the fuck out.

it's a simple change that will make a lot of people happy. you're right, it doesn't really change anything, but big picture, if people are offended and it takes 3 minutes to change, just do it.

Well, that was kind of my point. The change that they're making really changes nothing, so either people are still going to be offended by it despite the token change, OR, if the change does satisfiy people who are upset, then those people are stupid because the core of the game (the fact that you can play as the Taliban and kill American soldiers, which is what I assumed to be the part that was offensive, and not specific word usage) was not changed at all.

I think they should just leave it as is. This is the game they built, so either don't sell it or deal with the backlash of your creative choices. Which, once again, all leads down to this:

no big loss.....but huge gains by fixing it.

Like I said, not really a question of "doing what's right" then, more like "doing what's right for EA to save face and maximize sales"...

Last edited:
EA is a for profit company. They want to make as much money as humanly possible. The reason for the name change in my opinion had zero to do with PC. It is all about money, because again they are evil capitalist pigs /sacrasm.

So this is how it goes; little Tim Tim wants a bitchin new game called Medal of Honor. Well Tim Tim has saved his pennies and nickels and wants his mom to run down to Gamestop to pre-order it. Well Tim Tims mom is at work one day checking out CNN or some shit and sees that Tim Tim's newest desire has an option to play as the Taliban! Now this cannot stand! Tim Tims mom uses the money to purchase 7.5 minutes with a counselor so they can try and figure out why Tim Tim hates america.

Now multiply this by tens of thousands. One person in the sewing circle finds out that XYZ game allows you to play as a member of the Taliban and they tell their friends and so forth. You have the potential for a serious hit on your bottom line. Rockstar makes money because they say fuck you to the establishment. EA is way to big to allow something as simple as a name change to fuck their bottom line and share holders.

Drake, I've read your response three times and I can't say with certainty that I know where you stand. Sorry, maybe I'm just slow today, lol. Help me out...

Sorry about the rambling mess above, I still wasn't entirely awake yet haha.

I was trying to say that EA made the switch because they do not want the name of a character to screw their bottom line. A lot of parents do not pay any attention to what their kids play on a day to day basis but if they read on CNN one day that Tim Tims new Medal of Honor game is used "as a training aid for foreign fighters to kill Americans" she freaks the fuck out and burns his Xbox. Failing to realize that no matter the name of the Op-For it is still foreigner vs. American.

Remember we live in a sound bite buzz word world these days. And no one wants to have to spend money on a counter PR campaign explaining that its just a damn name. It is much easier to just change the name.

The reason for the change was that AAFES (px) was not going to carry it over that issue. It's all about money and ea wants to get that game into every market out there.

I really don't understand the whole Taliban controversy deal. Just leave the name in there. I mean, it's not like they're actually removing them from the game, they're just not calling them "Taliban" by name anymore (they changed it to "Opposition Force" or something like that). How does that change anything?

Germany banned the original version of MW2 because of the Russian airport scene, and they'd probably ban a game that allows you to play as a member of the Wehrmacht under the rule of the Nazi party.

Who cares if its a different name anyway?

Sorry about the rambling mess above, I still wasn't entirely awake yet haha.

I was trying to say that EA made the switch because they do not want the name of a character to screw their bottom line. A lot of parents do not pay any attention to what their kids play on a day to day basis but if they read on CNN one day that Tim Tims new Medal of Honor game is used "as a training aid for foreign fighters to kill Americans" she freaks the fuck out and burns his Xbox. Failing to realize that no matter the name of the Op-For it is still foreigner vs. American.

Remember we live in a sound bite buzz word world these days. And no one wants to have to spend money on a counter PR campaign explaining that its just a damn name. It is much easier to just change the name.

Ah, okay, gotcha. Yep, completely agree...

i just got done playing the open beta for PC..

basically if you have bad company 2, theres no reason to buy this game. it plays the exact same in my eyes.

because we are still fighting this war. plain and simple. we still have troops over there. and this isn't a universal good vs. bad. there are probably people out there who want to play as the Taliban just so that they can kill people from the U.S.

It's retarded to pull the name from the game, this is coming from a vet that has killed those fuckers, and seen friends killed by those fuckers. People in the middle east have been using US vs ME games since what, Delta Force? Maybe games before that ...who cares?

Back