Memory BIOS question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
In BIOS there is a setting for memory, I was looking at this today and wondering it there was another Memclock speed that would produce faster performance...

I usually have it set on "Auto", and it defaults to 333Mhz, but if I moved it to 400Mhz what would be the effects?

Dual Channel

2x 512MB Corsair PC3200 (200Mhz)
200Mhz 2.5/3/3/8

2x MDT 512MB PC3200 (200Mhz)
166Mhz 2.0/3/3/7 - 200Mhz 2.5/3/3/8

Full system
AMD 64 3500+ Winchester core OC @ 11x216Mhz to 2376.2Mhz
Asus A8N-SLI
2x 512MB Corsair PC3200 (200Mhz) - 2x MDT 512MB PC3200 (200Mhz)
BFG 8800GT
Vista 32bit Ultimate

If u move it to 400Mhz is jus goin to make the memory run faster =performance.Memory timing would also help but stick wit memory clock for now since changing the timing might give u problems.

Your motherboard is automatically adjusting the RAM freq to match the FSB of the processor. Since your processor is overclocked, it will overclock the RAM too unless u run a divider, which is what your motherboard is doing. It is running at DDR400 more or less because the divider knocks it down, but with the upped FSB, it brings it back up.

Anyway, I wouldnt change it unless u wanted more benchmark performance. With the AMD 64 and up systems, CPU freq is king. RAM makes very little dent to performance because AMD has a built in memory controller.

However, I would suggest you move up to a dual-core.

I had roughly 6100 on 3DMark06 with almost exact setup. 2400mhz Venice with 2X512MB Corsair and EVGA 8800GTS. Then I upgraded to Manchester 4200+ setting at 2.6ghz and 3Dmark06 jumped to 8300. Also, computer usage is much faster especially with HD videos and running multiple scans and etc... If you do upgrade, get an Opteron 165 or Toledo based X2. Much better overclocking room.

I bumped it up to 400Mhz, and tested it with Prime95 for about 20 minutes didn't flinch. So youse guys don't think that any real noticable gains would be had from adjusting any of the other settings like CAS or RAS, I have 2/2.5/3 availible for them I believe. I am also thinking about pushing my overclock up to 2.4, but I have to up the voltage too, and I hate heat (running air cooling).

Endlesszeal, I am in the process of putting one together now. Q6600 for the CPU, still thinking about the mobo, but it looks like the EVGA 122-CK NF-67 LGA nForce 680i LT SLI so I can run 2x BFG 8800GTs, and 4x 1GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400. Only thing that sucks about SLI is that it only supports one monitor, and I am quite used to duals, especially when gaming.

Synthetic benchmarks would give you nice boosts, but "real" world apps and performance-wise, not much. The only thing I would do is trying to keep it at 1T command rate. But in terms of mhz for RAM and timing, wouldnt benefit. But hey, if you can do it, feel free too.

Other - tight timings? loose timings? dividers? 1T or 2T? 754 or 939? (read here!) - DIY-Street Forums

As for bumping it up to 2.4ghz from 2376.2mhz, IT IS NOT WORTH IT, if you have bump voltage and get more heat output. Thats like an ant fart. People wouldnt even want to bump voltage for an extra 100 mhz because its almost moot compared to stability and cooling.

I just suggested moving to X2 because I thought u would want to keep your 939 system for a bit more and not upgrade.

If you get the Q6600, try to get G0 stepping. Almost guranteed 3.0ghz+ on stock voltage, but make sure you get a nice cooler because 4 cores is hot. Also, if you want to run 2x8800GT and all taht stuff, make sure you got a nice beefy PSU or you're asking for trouble. Lastly, 4GB = 64-bit OS, please.

Back