Memory Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Physical vs Commit vs Kernel

I was just transfering some pictures and the computer was at near stand still speed...
here's how the numbers looked
can i make changes in MS to fix this or should i upgrade?

Physical
Total 228708
Avail 3992 (went as low as 300-ish)
Cache 38016

Commit
Total 759844
Limit 1184152
Peak 760260

Kernel
Total 133188
Paged 119872
Non-Paged 13316

The memory usage chart/graph looked like plateaus, peaked at halfway up the graph, and lowered to 1/4 up the graph...

that means restart and end all not needed processes.

How much actual ram do you have, 256? Get more RAM, itll probably make your system go faster.

hmmm...
i killed everything and got the pictures to transfer ok...
i was just wondering if i should upgrade the memory or if i could make changes to help how it dedicates the memory i do have...

whats memory go for these days?

Yup, get 500mb of ram.. Should clean it right up.

Definitely upgrade. $50 for 512MB is high. I pulled 512MB of really good quality DDR for $40 shipped, and built a computer for a friend on Tuesday with 1GB of good OCZ DDR2 RAM for $70.

yeah, that was 184-pin corsair value. i wont buy ram with latency higher than 2.5.

uhm, what would one of you guys need to know about my board to suggest a good piece?

i dunno about 184 pin or latency values, i just know my boss is paying for it and i need massive help to run my tax program, quickbooks, and about 18 IE windows...

If you're not overclocking, just go for "value" level RAM from the big manufacturers with the fastest timing available. Look around on Newegg. OCZ, Kingmax, Crucial, PNY, Kingston, COrsair- they're all excellent brands.

you got it cal. the only one i dont use is pny. not because of bad experiences, just because ive had good experiences with the other 4.

Hmm. I've used PNY with no problems. These days I try to buy all OCZ, but I'm running a GigaFast stick with no issues.

Werd on OCZ. Weird thing is, the new AM2 platforms dont like them as much. Probably BIOS issues with new chipsets (Nforce 5). Crucial is always a way to go, but always pricey. Corsair works like a charm and right now Im running PQI; passed memtest and stable. And I disagree about getting the fastest RAM possible. Maybe in timing, but not mhz. You have to look into your board and see whats the specs on compatibility. If its pc2100 and you got pc3200, no gains unless you have a divider thats higher than 1:1 and mostly you don't. The other way to use higher mhz is to overclock your fsb to match your ram. However, its important to note that pc3200 is most of the time always cheaper than older pc2100/2700 because of wide avalibility and most of the time backwards compatible to older boards. Ditto with DDR2, but it seems to be consesus is DDR2 667mhz is the sweet spot for best bang for the buck. With the new AMDs, it seems timing is less of an issue. CAS 2.0 is not much faster than CAS 2.5 except in benchmarks, and same applies to 1T command rate vs 2T. Anyway, 512MB is the minimum now adays. With programs like FF, antivirus, etc.. its easily feesible to consume up to 1GB without gaming or pro. a/v programs.

OCZ actually wasn't that great of a brand when they started out. I remember tons of people buying OCZ speed binned stuff that never worked at the advertised speeds. I'm glad that's changed now.

I agree on the timings vs speed. I bought all my RAM as Corsair XMS PC3500 CAS2 4 years ago though. You can imagine how much that cost.

I haven't had any problems with OCZ and AM2 on NF boards. The system I built last week for a friend used OCZ value RAM and a new Biostar AM2 board. Very stable, very quick.

so i just cracked the case and took a look...

looks like its BUFFALO brand? wtf?
lol

PC2100 16x8-256m
256mb 266MHz CL2.5 non EEC-DDR

this mean anything good or bad to you guys?
i don't see any OCZ PC2100... yet...

would this work?
Price - $63.00
Ship - free ground $63.00
Advance Modules 1G DDR PC2100
1GB 1024MB DDR PC2100 266Mhz NonEcc CL.2.5 6 Layers PCB 184 Pin 2.5V 128X64 (Single Module) DDR 1GB 128x64 PC2100 266Mhz NonEcc For VIA P4X266A KT400 KT600 & PT800 SIS 645 648 648FX 746FX Chipsets (Pre-test)
Dealer Part # VIASIS1024MB266
Read More ...

or....

OCZ Value Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory - Retail

$89.99

does the PC2100 differ from PC2700

Last edited:
What company makes it, that looks like trash. You might wanna try something else like me and cal suggested. different memory makers make trash/good memory. Trash is usually anything we didnt list.

so what about the OCZ then?
does the PC2100 differ dramatically from the PC2700?

do i want the highest PC#?

so i'm running with 5x what i used to have
1 - 256 mB
and 1 - OCZ 1GB chip

so far i'm rather impressed...
going into the tax program now to see what kinds of increased performance i have...

thanks to all the info everyone provided

Back