Mercedes CLA

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
I've seen a few things about them and read a lot of reviews, but what does everyone think of it? They definitely get points for using Willem Dafoe as the Devil in the comercial.

CLA-Class 4-Door Coupe: Turbocharged Sports Car | Mercedes-Benz

2014-MB-cropped1.jpg

overall nice looking car
lines are a bit "busy" for my taste, and those wheels look kinda cheap (they look like shitty aftermarket wheels from a parts store) the AMG split 5s look WAY better

other than that i dont know anything about it outside of the Willem Dafoe commercials

just went to the site and built one
no manual shift :(

Last edited:
Engine- 2.0 L Turbocharged Inline 4-cylinder
Drivetrain- FWD or AWD
Transmission-7-speed automated manual
Horsepower- 208 hp @ 5500 rpm

HP seems underrated or low boost for a 2L turbo. Gets 38 MPG highway though.

gotta remember its a 2.0L turbo for fuel efficiency reasons not performance reasons
im sure there will be no shortage of reflashes/tunes that will pull far more HP out of it
this isnt a car they necessarily want to build this is a car they have to build to meet the coming mileage regulations

True. I'd like to see if Wil or any of our other MB/German enthusiast members got their hands on one yet. I'd be interested in their build quality being the cheapest of MB's line.

There's an AMG version coming with AWD. but its basically double the 29k price point.

I liked it and was interested in checking it out.... and I did.... and pretty much lost all interest in it. If the amg price was the std price, i'd be all over it though.

The car looks a bit too high school for me. Also the sloped style reminds me a lot of the old CLS, without the awesomeness 4 seater luxury.

I like the regular c-class more for a bit more money. Not as good as mileage but better lines and a palatable rearend.

I'd go with something with a tdi over a four banger any day of the week. The new Audi tdi piques my interest.

Like Chris said a I4 in a Merc seems a touch bizarre.

they are just trying to meet fleet standards so they can continue to sell their trucks and shit and still come in at a fleet average of 25+ for the 2014 government rules. bmw the same... basically all the x28's are going to have the turbo 4.

Word.

They have the 320i but its' still a 3 series. I like it. And the 28i/x3 line is a good seller. Plenty of power. I'm looking at getting one for the s/o sometime down the road after we take the next step.

They are doing what Infinity tried to do with the 2011 G25, which was an epic fail..a 3700lb( 3900lbs in AWD which i had) car with only 218hp and 187tq sporting a 2.5 6cyl starting at $34k, $38k for AWD.... They were trying to lure people into the brand... but what they needed was that car to be sub $30k because the g37 start at the same price the G25X(AWD) left. You also sacrificed 110+HP from the G37 and no increase in MPG which is baffling....that's why they needed to make the G25X a 2.0T with around 255Hp and 220 or so tq...They made the G25 for two years 2011 and 2012 and discontinued it.

Mercedes did it right , with a 4 cylinder turbo putting out 208hp and a whopping 258tq in a 3300lb car....a 30k entry level luxury car geared toward a younger crowd. Obviously purposely conservatively tuned for gas mileage. If Kia can get 278HP out of a 2.0T then surely Mercedes can.

The after market flash is going to make that car fun.

I'd rock one of these for sure

They are actually decently quick. Go test drive one, you will realize you are getting every bit of that 208 hp, it will surprise you...

Stay away from them as of right now. I am staring at 2 as I type this that both have check engines lights that engineering is having me do testing on. Niether one has more than 38 miles on it...

They are having me do testing on the EVAP pressure sensor. They have no idea what is going on right now... I have to monitor my readings on a scope every hour for 3 hours with the key on, then run the same test with the key off and report back to MBUSA.

I have been instructed to NOT change any parts at this time...

Sounds like a typical launch. Always ugly. Always best to wait for the early adapters to work through it.

We got one in at work. Fit and finish is not that great, and the options add up quickly. I think it looks nice, but the wheels belong on a $20k car. Haven't driven it. I would take a Bimmer or Audi all day over this. This car is basically a TSX in terms of size and layout.

Last edited:
what bmw or audi are you going to get for 29k?

I've been reading a lot about the CLA in the past few months- I actually like it a lot. I wouldn't buy one, but I think it's definitely a step in the right direction for Benz.

I liked it until I saw one in person, the ass is uglyyyyyyy

what bmw or audi are you going to get for 29k?

Probably nothing. A 3 series starts at $32k. It's hard to find one at a dealer for under 40. The same will go for this. The $29k is for a stripped out model that will barely be sold.

Back