Methanol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Walmart and Sams can afford to sell it the cheapest possible. Just cuz its Sam's its not SAM's brand. They prolly get the same fuel as texaco.

I dont know. My car runs just fine. Hell my crx did too. And that was one picky engine.

Haha, I was kidding.

Just another Wal Mart joke.

Walmart and Sams can afford to sell it the cheapest possible. Just cuz its Sam's its not SAM's brand. They prolly get the same fuel as texaco.

I dont know. My car runs just fine. Hell my crx did too. And that was one picky engine.

Walmart and Sam's Club can afford to sell it cheaper because they shop around for the cheapest cost...

They don't purchase cheap gas--Sunoco, Mobil, and BP were their biggest suppliers, but it's been a while since I have seen their latest suppliers.

One delivery could be Mobil, and then next day they could be getting a different one--all depends on who can give the cheapest price...

Have you checked to see if your injectors can run methanol? Id think there would be chance of the bodies coroding.

not yet, first i'm worried about that part in the wiki where they said that methanol is corrosive to alluminum. i was thinking about giving RC injector's a call though.

Thats what I was thinkin. Im not sure, but it looks like the fuel flows through an aluminum tube. If RC doesnt have an off the shelf item to suit your needs, Id suggest lookin for small block chev injector, Id say ur best bet would be for LS-1 engines. Another one worth lookin at are the Trick Flow injectors. They're for small block Fords, and the seals on them are meth compatable, and they have stainless steel internals. One down side is you can only buy sets of 8.

thanks for the info! i'll keep that in mind when i have them on the phone tomarrow. i'll let you know what they suggest as well.

:thumbsup:

Methanol injection is a light mist sprayed into the combustion chamber. This is possible with certain changes in the fuel system. From my understanding, to run 100% methanol, this cannot be done on the factory fuel system. It will damage the rubber parts of the fuel system. Just like brake fluid. If any oil were to enter the system it will corrode all the rubber pieces of the brake system quickly with just a tiny bit. I will be learning more on methanol injection in the next few months to come.

Methanol, when burned, can barely be seen. If a large amount is burned, you will see a slight blue flash, and then its gone. Methanol does keep the combustion chamber temperatures down because it runs cooler than gasoline. It burns much faster than gasoline also.

I believe he was talkin about runnin methanol as a fuel on its own, not in a methanol/water injection setup. I know that the material used for seals in carburetors that run meth is called viton. I actually gave him some wrong info there, I thought methanol burned slower. I was thinkin of nitromethane, not quite the same stuff lol. Good catch.

Honda on Meth

I am pretty new to Honda's but I did run my first Integra on my chassis dyno last night and it was pretty strong. B-20 bottom with an RS-Vtec head 192 RWHP and I think there is room for a lot more.

Anyway, Meth only makes 1/2 of the BTU's of gas so you have to use twice as much to make the same power output. Sprint cars have huge fuel cells and pumps as they have to pump 2x the fuel. I do not see how it would be any cheaper and the US gov't has not done the math yet. I guess only us dumbass old school racers have that figured out.

Another thing to consider is that if you are using twice the liquid fuel you are going to displace a significant amount of air volume in your intake runners and head reducing the amount of air you can burn ( although meth only requires about 15% -20% more air volume than gas to combust). Bottom line you need more head flow and volume to run Methanol.

The good - It loves compression, It burns cool, it loves turbo's, and it used to be cheap...

The bad - not readily available, not really that cheap when you actually get to running on it and it does not like high under hood temps and big weather changes, and it sucks up water / humidity like a sponge.

The ugly - It corrodes everything, it is abrasive to all of your engine parts and you will have to switch to a special oil like I just had brewed up for me for a couple import projects just like you are talking about. Normal petro or synth oils will not work well with Methanol.

Anyway just my 2c worth.

THX,
Mark
PerformanceChassisDyno.com

no it didnt specify. from wikipedia:

this says tha meth attacks aluminium your head is aluminium and almost everything on your engine is as well to me (yell at me if im wrong admin)thats a show stopper for a stock honda engine if you want to keep it.if you dont care about it go for it but you pistons are aluminium on hondas as well...

Back