1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miata Pilot bearing questions

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by Guy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Guy

Guy Senior Member

Im upgrading my 1.6 clutch setup to that of a 1.8 in preperation for an eventual greddy kit. Ive gotten ahold of the flywheel and clutch kit so i thought i was ready to go, but comparing the pilot bearing that came with my clutch kit to that which was originally in the flywheel there is a noticable size difference. So I emailed the ebay seller (gripforce) and this is my response:

Anybody ever heard of this. I mean the pilot bearing that came with the daikin set is like 3mm too small. I've never really dealt with pilot bearings to any information is appreciated.

2. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

I will ask my roommate about this tomarrow as he is setting up to put a 1.6 clutch and fly in a 1.8 car.

3. Guy

Guy Senior Member

Thanks, I would appreciate that.

4. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

that doesn't sound right. But I never did anything with the pilot bearing so I wouldn't know.

5. MaaseyRacer

Here is what my roommate had to say about the issue:
    "Pilot bearings are a press fit, you should need to at least lightly tap one out with a hammer. He'll need to source one from a Napa store or somewhere they can look up the deminsions in a book and order him the correct sized unit, flywheels are designed around exsisting pilot bearings not vise versa, just needs to hunt down the right size."

6. Guy

Guy Senior Member

Thank you and your friend for clearing this up for me. Im just kind of befuddled because the kit came with the wrong size bearing, and the old bearing that was in it actually was the exact same as a few others from miata.net had as well. In any case thanks again.

7. MaaseyRacer

Yeah my roommate posts on miata. net, as "fatherleadfoot" he knows miatas damn well.

8. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

yeah, im DAMN sure the pilot bearing needs to be a little tight. is the one with the kit too big or too small compared to the one from the car?

that seller is a retard.

9. Guy

Guy Senior Member

Compared to the original bearing, the one that came with the kit is smaller, and subsequently goes through the hole in the flywheel without touching anything.
    The seller, gripforce, sells their clutches as exedy on ebay, neglecting to mention that they are not true japanese exedy's but instead daikin (owned by exedy) which is fine, because ive read they are still pretty quality clutches (even if that is a bit of false advertising). Gripforce, when they get their order then sends it to the daikin warehouse in michigan from whence it is shipped to me, to these guys dont even actually see the kit. but in response to a letter i sent expressing concern over this issue i got this response

I mean its nice that the guy is trying to be helpful, but the fact is that when i bought the kit it was advertised as coming with a pilot bearing (it is assumed its the correct one) so i'm debating whether or not i should pursue some kind of repayment for the one i will have to buy, or whether i should let it go.

10. Dagger v1

Dagger v1 New Member

Does anyone know what happened at this end? What was the resolution? I'm in the same situation where the pilot bearing just falls out of the flywheel. And the company tells me this is normal. But my Honda mechanic tells me this could cause a lot of damage later.

Thanks.

11. TurboMirage

it CAN cause damage. go to the dealer and order an OEM pilot bearing.

12. Dagger v1

Dagger v1 New Member

my mechanic tried a OEM pilot bearing and it did the samething. The bearing provided is OEM sized but the hole is the flywheel is slightly bigger. i'm going to try a bearing retailer locally to see if they have anything that will work. i don't want to spend the time and $ shipping the flywheel back.

13. TurboMirage

gotcha, and a good idea. maybe check out a fastenal store they could have something also.

14. Dagger v1

Dagger v1 New Member

thanks for the tip. I'll try them as well since they have a location in town.

15. Gibscreen

Gibscreen New Member

I ordered an Exedy Stage 2 clutch direct from Exedy for my Miata last year and it came with the wrong pilot bearing (similar to what you described) and it also had a clutch alignment tool for a Honda, not my car.

Very odd. I just ended up getting a pilot bearing from Mazda and lined up the clutch using another alignment tool I had.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted