Microsoft Server 2003 and a firewall VPN

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Hardware: Watchguard SOHO 6 firewall w/ VPN capability
Software: Server 2003 (Small Business Server 2003)

So, prior to our upgrading to SBS, we used to be on an XP file/print server, and everyone was on a workgroup. We had VPN capability through our firewall, and everything was running quite smoothly.

Enter SBS 2003. The whole upgrade went rather well, but now we face an issue with particular users trying to use the firewall VPN. These users are the ones who have laptops that double as their workstation while at the office.

Scenario: User undocks laptop and takes it home. Plugs into the intraweb and logs onto the computer using the same Domain User as at the office. Connects to the VPN and attempts to log in using the same user name and password as what logged him onto the computer/domain. XP burps up an error that says the user name is already in use on the domain and can't authenticate. User gets around this by logging on to the VPN as a different in-office user who is not currently logged in.

So......What to do? I know that we could utilize Server 2003's VPN capability, but it seems complicated to learn, and kind of silly since the firewall VPN is so close to working correctly (also, we like just being able to open an Explorer window to drag/drop files, rather than having a "remote desktop"). We could also set up alternate "remote users" in Server 2003, but we've only got 10 licenses, and are utilizing 9 of them already.

Thanks to anyone who read through this whole post, and more thanks to anyone who can offer a solution.

It seems to me that it might be some kind of server configuration error or a domain controller problem. Because i don't see why it would say something about the user name. I can be logged on to several machines simultaneously on my network at work. Also if im logged on at work and take a laptop and don't connect it to the network but try and connect to the vpn that also works. I personally have never seen a problem like that since we have had server 2003. Just another place to look for problems. Sorry I can't be more help.

Ben

Yeah, I'm in Colorado.

The problem is, I'm an architect with a dangerously limited knowledge of networking. I can only troubleshoot so much, or else I start breaking things. :)

Is it possible to get a screenshot of the error message that is coming up?

Originally posted by lswhitecivic@Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM
Is it possible to get a screenshot of the error message that is coming up?
[post=457487]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll ask my coworker to get a screenshot.

Back