Mid 80's Subaru Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondahauge

What is the stock turbo for the mid 80's turbo it come on the inline 6 i believe. Not sure on which model it is all i know that it is the mid 80's Surbaru.

Boxer six. Not inline. It was an IHI RHB5, I believe. Call a Subaru dealer and get back to us. FWIW, those 80's turbo Subees were total JUNK.

IHI turbos kick ass. Don't let the small size of the RHB5 fool you- mine put me in the low 13s on 10 PSI in a full interiored Si hatch using the stock engine..

Just called the Subaru Dealer ship "Ramsey's Auto out of Des Moines IA" they said that all that the could give me is the part number, not which turbo it is.

Originally posted by hondahauge@Aug 28 2003, 07:34 AM
Would the IHI RHB5 turbo work well on a D Series motor? "D15B2"

Yeah, it'd be great. You'll see positive pressure as low as 1900 RPM, full boost by 2700 RPM, and it'll pull hard to redline. If you punch it anywhere above 3200 RPM, you'll see instant boost.

The IHIs that the Subees used were a weird three bolt flange thing (almost exactly like the WRXs), so you won't find a flange. HOWEVER... If you can find an IHI from a Thunderbird Turbocoupe, you can use that on a manifold that has a T3 flange, because... it's the only IHI turbo with a T3 flange. :)

Hmm. Maybe I should walk outside when it's daylight and take some pics of the old RX sitting by the curb... we're trying to sell it, working AC and everything. It's an old turbo Subie.

:)

Back