Might Be Picking This Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid00meth

Looking into buying a 97 teg wreck for 700 bone. Girl ran it off the road, floored it in reverse, and apparently "popped" the motor. Now it makes a "rapping" sound. Any guesses as to what actually broke?

Not really, if I had more details I would probably know what the problem is. It is a specific situation, extended overrevving, probably bouncing it off rev limiter trying to get out of a snowbank. I'm guessing she either slipped the timing belt and smashed the valvetrain, or the crash caused a massive oil leak, and the engine went off rev limiter with no oil. I'm looking for speculation, thats all.

IMO it would sound like a valvetrain problem, if it is totally wrecked the car, technically, shouldnt run. it might be a rod bearing too, just speculation though

Originally posted by likaciv@Apr 15 2003, 04:51 PM
IMO it would sound like a valvetrain problem, if it is totally wrecked the car, technically, shouldnt run. it might be a rod bearing too, just speculation though

my brother thinks it's a rod bearing. The car isn't completely wrecked, just some front end damage. Hello project car for 700$ :) :)

Back