1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might Be Picking This Up

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by liquid00meth, Apr 12, 2003.

1. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

Looking into buying a 97 teg wreck for 700 bone. Girl ran it off the road, floored it in reverse, and apparently "popped" the motor. Now it makes a "rapping" sound. Any guesses as to what actually broke?

2. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

wild guesses is all you are going to get, a "rapping sound" could be anything... post more details...

3. liquid00meth

Not really, if I had more details I would probably know what the problem is. It is a specific situation, extended overrevving, probably bouncing it off rev limiter trying to get out of a snowbank. I'm guessing she either slipped the timing belt and smashed the valvetrain, or the crash caused a massive oil leak, and the engine went off rev limiter with no oil. I'm looking for speculation, thats all.

4. liquid00meth

5. likaciv

likaciv Member

IMO it would sound like a valvetrain problem, if it is totally wrecked the car, technically, shouldnt run. it might be a rod bearing too, just speculation though

6. liquid00meth

my brother thinks it's a rod bearing. The car isn't completely wrecked, just some front end damage. Hello project car for 700$ :) :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted